Can't connect INSTEON devices to ISY994i

Hi,

After a couple of years having things work fine, my INSTEON devices no longer responded to commands from my ISY.  When I used the Admin Console to try and query the devices (or at startup) I would get a message saying it couldn't communicate with the devices (of which there are 4).  Given I had an *older* PowerLinc, I decided to get a new one...  The problems continued.  In an attempt to get things working - I tried to re-add the devices by entering their addresses in the dialog box after "new insteon device" option was selected -- but I would get "no network" errors.  I also tried "start linking", however, no dialog box ever showed up and there was no sign of any linking going on (including nothing from the devices that I had hit "set" with).  Any ideas of of what I may be missing?  Thanks in advance.

BTW: I had these problems when running on the last stable version and have the exact same issues with the alpha version of the firmware.

Did you replace the PowerLinc modem using the procedure in the wiki? Did something (like a computer, stereo AVR, UPS, etc.) get plugged into the outlet with the PowerLinc modem or somewhere on the same branch circuit? If you only have 4 devices, I suggest starting afresh -- factory reset everything (PowerLinc and Insteon devices) and then add each device one at a time.

17 hours ago, nasa01 said:

Hi,

After a couple of years having things work fine, my INSTEON devices no longer responded to commands from my ISY.  When I used the Admin Console to try and query the devices (or at startup) I would get a message saying it couldn't communicate with the devices (of which there are 4).  Given I had an *older* PowerLinc, I decided to get a new one...  The problems continued.  In an attempt to get things working - I tried to re-add the devices by entering their addresses in the dialog box after "new insteon device" option was selected -- but I would get "no network" errors.  I also tried "start linking", however, no dialog box ever showed up and there was no sign of any linking going on (including nothing from the devices that I had hit "set" with).  Any ideas of of what I may be missing?  Thanks in advance.

BTW: I had these problems when running on the last stable version and have the exact same issues with the alpha version of the firmware.

What is the firmware and UI version of the ISY?

What was the model number of your old modem, what is the model number of your new modem?

Did you factory reset your 4 devices before you tried to add them to the new modem?

Are you sure your cable between the modem and the ISY is plugged into the correct port on the ISY?

Did you do a delete modem  - YOU SHOULD NEVER DO A DELETE MODEM WHEN REPLACING A MODEM.

12 hours ago, Goose66 said:

Did you replace the PowerLinc modem using the procedure in the wiki? Did something (like a computer, stereo AVR, UPS, etc.) get plugged into the outlet with the PowerLinc modem or somewhere on the same branch circuit? If you only have 4 devices, I suggest starting afresh -- factory reset everything (PowerLinc and Insteon devices) and then add each device one at a time.

Hey Goose66,

Thanks for the reply -- it's greatly appreciated.  I had checked the WIKI, but I'm not sure which procedure you are referring too.  Could you give me a link?  Nothing new has been plugged into the outlet the PowerLinc modem was plugged into.  I should be clear -- I only have like 4 INSTEON devices, but I have a whole house full of z-wave devices...  I also have an issue with resetting my FanLinc, which would require me to pull the fan down :\  I'd like to avoid that if I could.  BTW: the 6-button keypad and the Fanlinc still work well together.  Thanks again!

11 hours ago, Techman said:

What is the firmware and UI version of the ISY?

What was the model number of your old modem, what is the model number of your new modem?

Did you factory reset your 4 devices before you tried to add them to the new modem?

Are you sure your cable between the modem and the ISY is plugged into the correct port on the ISY?

Did you do a delete modem  - YOU SHOULD NEVER DO A DELETE MODEM WHEN REPLACING A MODEM.

Hey Techman,

Thanks for the reply!  I have version 5.0.12 for both the UI and ISY.  No, I didn't reset the 4 devices...  But for the one I did - it didn't seem to help.  I've triple checked my connections and as far as I tell they haven't changed and are correct.  I did not delete the modem.  Thanks again,

While I'm at it -- I should note the full "no network" error I am getting when trying to add a INSTEON device via the "New INSTEON device" option:

"No network connection [[DHCP] State = Renew]" 

12 hours ago, nasa01 said:

Hey Techman,

Thanks for the reply!  I have version 5.0.12 for both the UI and ISY.  No, I didn't reset the 4 devices...  But for the one I did - it didn't seem to help.  I've triple checked my connections and as far as I tell they haven't changed and are correct.  I did not delete the modem.  Thanks again,

Here's the procedure for replacing the modem

Replace ISY PLM.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have the same issue here. A big installation with several devices, and when i try to add some of them to ISY, it just say "Cannot add Insteon Device". It happens with any module i have here, micro modules on/off, micromodules dimmer, 8 button dimmers, 6 button dimmers, and so on

Tried both "start linking" method (where it shows the id and model of the module being added), and "add insteon device" using the address (the module beeps, but does not add)

Any idea how to solve it?

Than

1 hour ago, Abe said:

Hi

I have the same issue here. A big installation with several devices, and when i try to add some of them to ISY, it just say "Cannot add Insteon Device". It happens with any module i have here, micro modules on/off, micromodules dimmer, 8 button dimmers, 6 button dimmers, and so on

Tried both "start linking" method (where it shows the id and model of the module being added), and "add insteon device" using the address (the module beeps, but does not add)

Any idea how to solve it?

Than

Are you running the ISY994 or the ISY994pro?

Do a PLM link count when your system isn't busy, How many links do you have?

It's possible you're running out of memory

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Abe said:

I use IS994, and have about 450 links (the count changes a little, but always near 450)

The ISY994 will support about 255 devices, scenes and folders. the 994iPro supports 1024.

You should contact UDI and consider an update to the PRO. It's an over the air update, no hardware or programming involved.

Archived