isy994i inaccessible

BoxORocks

So confused. . . .  I was sooo sure the ip was 192.168.1.161.  But when I powered up my old router, it shows up as 0.161, along with the two computers on this switch, which are 1.x.  The gateway of the old router is 162.168.1.1.  snapwerxedit is the computer I am on, snapwerxlaptop is a computer on the same switch,  If I ping 0.161 it says it is 'not unreachable'.  But I can't get on to the ISY with the finder or the UI directly with the browser.  I should be able to, no?  I finally found in my new router where to add a reserved address, but it won't take 0.161, I guess because everything is 1.x.  It will take 1.161, but of course that does me no good.

This is where my limited networking knowledge falls flat.

image.thumb.png.7862721c1da927d9fddb2359a4610bf8.png

You are going to have trouble if you don't set all devices to 192 168.0.xxx.

Many new devices come preset to 192.168.1.xxx, so they are clear of conflicts until you can set them up to your network range. This avoids any conflicts with existing user devices.

I was trying to use both for some time , but I had troubles with many network things defaulting to the highest address which other devices couldn't access properly. Wake on LAN is a problem that uses that technique.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Yes, this is my old router (actually two routers ago).  i want to get into the ISY, change to DHCP and that's that.  The DHCP in my new router sets the entire address, not just the .xxx at the end, correct?  My new router:

image.png.60a5e5c23659740b80e9508ce6f8d82a.png

10 hours ago, jgcharlotte said:

Yes, this is my old router (actually two routers ago).  i want to get into the ISY, change to DHCP and that's that.  The DHCP in my new router sets the entire address, not just the .xxx at the end, correct?  My new router:

image.png.60a5e5c23659740b80e9508ce6f8d82a.png

Yes. Your router will assign the next available IP address within the range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 (you have set)  less any already designated IP addresses within that range. Using the DHCP reservation table in the router will assign devices into that range only and not allow any conflicts.

As I stated before,  using the 192.168.1.xxx address range may find you in trouble with some new devices. Many new devices have factory defaults in that same range and if their IP address conflicts with another device on your LAN you may not be able to configure them and not realise why your system has more trouble.

However this setup may allow you to access your ISY to turn on DCHP and then you should be able to change your router range to whatever you want, rebooting ISY each time to do a new IP address grab.

12 hours ago, jgcharlotte said:

So confused. . . .  I was sooo sure the ip was 192.168.1.161.  But when I powered up my old router, it shows up as 0.161, along with the two computers on this switch, which are 1.x.  The gateway of the old router is 162.168.1.1.  snapwerxedit is the computer I am on, snapwerxlaptop is a computer on the same switch,  If I ping 0.161 it says it is 'not unreachable'.  But I can't get on to the ISY with the finder or the UI directly with the browser.  I should be able to, no?  I finally found in my new router where to add a reserved address, but it won't take 0.161, I guess because everything is 1.x.  It will take 1.161, but of course that does me no good.

You might be able to salvage it by temporarily using the old router to get back in touch with ISY and change its network config:

• Power the up the old and router and leave it standalone... do not connect network cables from the old router into your new network
  • Plug network cables in the old standalone router into to 2 of the router's 4 switch ports: one for the ISY and one for a PC with the admin console loaded
  • Launch the AC on the computer and see if it finds the ISY..  if yes, skip the next step
  • If no, try hard coding 192.168.0.161/desc in the ISY finder
  • If you get in with either of the above 2 steps,  go to the admin console config tab and and under network, click the box for Automatic (DHCP), click save
  • Turn off the old router and the ISY... the job is done for the old router, do not use it any longer 
  • wire the the ISY and computer back into your new router's switch ports
  • restart the ISY and computer... run the admin console from the computer
  • Optional: go back to config and sent 192.168.1.161... or don't set it static any longer if you really don't need it.. and avoid this issue in the future

Paul

12 hours ago, jgcharlotte said:

Those are the same adresses for the two computers on the other router. Are you sure your computer is setup for DHCP and what are the DHCP settings on the old router?

9 hours ago, paulbates said:

You might be able to salvage it by temporarily using the old router to get back in touch with ISY and change its network config:

Yes, this is exactly what I want to do.  Just get in there with the old router and change to DHCP.  If this doesn't work, I guess my last option before total factory reset is the PUTTY connection.

Well nothing worked.  I guess its factory reset and that will probably open up a whole new set of problems LOL.

With only my computer and the ISY plugged into the old router, I cannot get into the ISY with finder, even doing a manual add http://192.168.0.1 or http:192.168.0.1/desc.  Just get 'not found'.

14 minutes ago, jgcharlotte said:

Well nothing worked.  I guess its factory reset and that will probably open up a whole new set of problems LOL.

With only my computer and the ISY plugged into the old router, I cannot get into the ISY with finder, even doing a manual add http://192.168.0.1 or http:192.168.0.1/desc.  Just get 'not found'.

192.168.0.1 will be the IP of your router, not your ISY.

Look inside your router for the IP address your ISY is using.

22 hours ago, larryllix said:

Many new devices come preset to 192.168.1.xxx, so they are clear of conflicts until you can set them up to your network range. This avoids any conflicts with existing user devices.

I was trying to use both for some time , but I had troubles with many network things defaulting to the highest address which other devices couldn't access properly. Wake on LAN is a problem that uses that technique.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

To larry's point the last octet needs to be .161.  I did not put in my directions the http

http://192.168.0.161/desc

I don' think it lets you enter it the wrong way though.

Paul

3 minutes ago, larryllix said:

192.168.0.1 will be the IP of your router, not your ISY.

Sorry, I meant to write .161.  That is definitely the address I put in finder manually.

Anyway, with paper clip in hand, I put the old configuration out if its misery.  The restore looks like it went well, the error I'm getting are expected due to the fact that my last backup is March.  So I have some devices to change and some programming to do.

It was acting kind of weird lately also.  One program that was only supposed to run on Wednesday IF a flag was high was running every day.

And some of my light controls were turning OFF when they were supposed to turn ON, ie occupancy sensor in my office.  But of course I couldn't get into the ISY to figure out what was going on.

Anyway, thanks all for the help, sorry the advice did not do the trick.  I will repeat 100 times:  "I will never assign a static IP in the ISY ever again".

1 minute ago, jgcharlotte said:

Sorry, I meant to write .161.  That is definitely the address I put in finder manually.

Anyway, with paper clip in hand, I put the old configuration out if its misery.  The restore looks like it went well, the error I'm getting are expected due to the fact that my last backup is March.  So I have some devices to change and some programming to do.

It was acting kind of weird lately also.  One program that was only supposed to run on Wednesday IF a flag was high was running every day.

And some of my light controls were turning OFF when they were supposed to turn ON, ie occupancy sensor in my office.  But of course I couldn't get into the ISY to figure out what was going on.

Anyway, thanks all for the help, sorry the advice did not do the trick.  I will repeat 100 times:  "I will never assign a static IP in the ISY ever again".

Your quest really caught my eye. It was freaky you assigned exactly the same IP address as I did my ISY.

Just now, larryllix said:

It was freaky you assigned exactly the same IP address as I did my ISY

I don't even know why I used it.  Actually, on my old ISY26 I used 160, so when I replaced it, I used 161 so I'd remember!

1 hour ago, jgcharlotte said:

I don't even know why I used it.  Actually, on my old ISY26 I used 160, so when I replaced it, I used 161 so I'd remember!

I block all my similar types of devices together by function, so my ISY and related input devices are all 0.160- 0.169.   RGBWW lighting 0.140- 0.159 etc. Printer and system stuff 0.100 - 0.119 etc.   Then my router assigns guest devices randomly, starting at the bottom by native DHCP, at  0.010 - ?    Right after my four routers 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.5

1 minute ago, Michel Kohanim said:

You only have two choices: connect via serial and change your settings. Or factory reset and restore a backup. 

Thanks Michel, yes, I reset and restored.  The restore went seemingly perfectly except the backup was a few months old, so I have some updating to do.

Thanks again.

As to static IP addresses, I tend to prefer DHCP with specific IP address assignments in the router/DHCP server. Most modern routers support DHCP IP address assignment. This gives you the same advantages as fixed IP without the configuration having to be maintained at each device. In addition, the router can show the status of the device in its administrative console, where there may not be status available for devices with static IP addresses if there has been no outside routed traffic. An additional advantage is that most modern routers also provide a DNS server, which acts mostly as a DNS forwarder but will cache names and keep device names and their corresponding DHCP provided IP addresses from the LAN side in the DNS cache, whereas devices with static IP addresses generally will not report their device names to the DNS server.

Archived