ISY Portal Maintenance - 09-30-2018

bmercier

Hello everyone,

We will have a maintenance next Sunday 30-09-2018 at 5:00 AM PDT which will last for up to 1 hour. During this period, the subscription server will be restarted, which will drop any active subscriptions. If you use Mobilinc, the app will automatically reconnect when it's back online.

New feature:

• Add support for Alexa contact and motion sensors. ISY devices, State variables & ELK Zones can be exposed as Alexa contact sensor or motion sensor. The main benefit is to use them as triggers in Alexa routines.

Maintenance:

• Install OS patches

Benoit

• Like 1

This has me thinking,  Is there any way of using Alexa alerts which are dynamic, either using TTS or variables,  What I’d ultimately love to be able to do is to use Alexa to make announcements based on changing information stored on my ISY.  Example: “Your computer is running at 90 degrees Celsius” versus a static message like “Your computer is running hot”.  This would be a game changer for me and probably many others...

Chuck

7 minutes ago, ahwman said:

This has me thinking,  Is there any way of using Alexa alerts which are dynamic, either using TTS or variables,  What I’d ultimately love to be able to do is to use Alexa to make announcements based on changing information stored on my ISY.  Example: “Your computer is running at 90 degrees Celsius” versus a static message like “Your computer is running hot”.  This would be a game changer for me and probably many others...

Chuck

This will eventually be possible with Alexa notifications. At this time, the Alexa notifications beta program is closed, they are changing the API based on developer feedback.

Stay tuned.

Benoit

• Like 1

No, it has not been implemented.

But I know where you are going, and there is a work around.

If you have the A10 module, you can create a virtual device which can be used as a sensor, and therefore, a trigger to a routine.

In the admin console, click Link Management/New INSTEON/A10/X10 device. From the list choose generic X10. 

Enter an address, such as "A10", a name, and create the device.

Benoit

11 minutes ago, bmercier said:

No, it has not been implemented.

But I know where you are going, and there is a work around.

If you have the A10 module, you can create a virtual device which can be used as a sensor, and therefore, a trigger to a routine.

In the admin console, click Link Management/New INSTEON/A10/X10 device. From the list choose generic X10. 

Enter an address, such as "A10", a name, and create the device.

Benoit

So, I would want to purchase the “A10/X10 Experimental Support” module for $9 in order to use this workaround?

Does that mean it will be added in the future, or is that intended to be a permanent work around?

It sounds like Amazon is restricting 'devices' to be sensors only, so will it only trigger when it turns on?

If so, will we have to manage state (meaning turn the X10 address off) on the ISY side?

It does seem workable, I can see triggering voice announcements soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Alexa --> Routines --> Actions now include the ability to define custom phrases, and triggers can include devices.

By exposing state variables as a device, in theory we should be able to trigger an announcement by setting a state variable.

In practice, if all works as expected, it means I'll have exciting new ways of annoying my family.

37 minutes ago, Charlie_Morlock said:

Alexa --> Routines --> Actions now include the ability to define custom phrases, and triggers can include devices.

By exposing state variables as a device, in theory we should be able to trigger an announcement by setting a state variable.

In practice, if all works as expected, it means I'll have exciting new ways of annoying my family.

FYI, the only devices currently supported which can trigger a routine are motion sensors and contact sensors.

Yes, exposing a state variable as a motion sensor allows to trigger any routine.

I made it in such a way that a single variable can be used to trigger multiple routines based on the variable value.

Benoit

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Scottmichaelj said:

In simple terms what does this mean? As an example?

Am I in the wrong forum?

Totally lost me here too.
What does an MS have to do with the ISY Portal?
How is  an MS triggerring a program related to the ISY Portal or a state variable?
How does a device act like an analogue element such as a state variable?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, larryllix said:

Am I in the wrong forum?

Totally lost me here too.
What does an MS have to do with the ISY Portal?
How is  an MS triggerring a program related to the ISY Portal or a state variable?
How does a device act like an analogue element such as a state variable?

This has to do with Alexa Routines.

Alexa routines allows you to automate things based on certain events. An Alexa routine is similar to IFTTT. If <event> then do <action>.

The event can be a Smart Home motion sensor detecting movement.

The action can be Alexa giving you the weather, or simply Alexa saying something. 

So far, this functionnality allows you to have an ISY device, such as a motion sensor, to trigger Alexa to say something.

Now comes the variable. ISY Portal will allow you to have an ISY State variable exposed as an Alexa Motion Sensor. Whenever the variable will be set to a certain value, the motion sensor will be "ON". 

So, in short, you can have a variable that, when set to a certain value, will have Alexa say something. 

This new functionnality will be available starting Sunday.

Benoit

This has to do with Alexa Routines.
Alexa routines allows you to automate things based on certain events. An Alexa routine is similar to IFTTT. If then do .
The event can be a Smart Home motion sensor detecting movement.
The action can be Alexa giving you the weather, or simply Alexa saying something. 
So far, this functionnality allows you to have an ISY device, such as a motion sensor, to trigger Alexa to say something.
Now comes the variable. ISY Portal will allow you to have an ISY State variable exposed as an Alexa Motion Sensor. Whenever the variable will be set to a certain value, the motion sensor will be "ON". 
So, in short, you can have a variable that, when set to a certain value, will have Alexa say something. 
This new functionnality will be available starting Sunday.
Benoit
So the ISY Portal will have processing functions that duplicate ISY but with vocal outcomes?

I don't understand how the Portal knows about triggers but was that a expansion of what the ITTT interface requirements?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, larryllix said:

So the ISY Portal will have processing functions that duplicate ISY but with vocal outcomes?

Where do you see a duplication?

6 hours ago, larryllix said:

I don't understand how the Portal knows about triggers but was that a expansion of what the ITTT interface requirements?

It has nothing to do with IFTTT. I used IFTTT as an analogy to explain how an Alexa routine works.

The portal does not "know about triggers". What I explained is that portal bridges the gap between an ISY Variable and an Alexa routine. It allows an ISY Variable to be seen by Alexa as a motion sensor, and an Alexa motion sensors can be used to trigger an Alexa routine.

Benoit

2 hours ago, bmercier said:

Where do you see a duplication?

It has nothing to do with IFTTT. I used IFTTT as an analogy to explain how an Alexa routine works.

The portal does not "know about triggers". What I explained is that portal bridges the gap between an ISY Variable and an Alexa routine. It allows an ISY Variable to be seen by Alexa as a motion sensor, and an Alexa motion sensors can be used to trigger an Alexa routine.

Benoit

It seems the two Q&As are related.

I didn't know that Alexa could process any triggers, variables, or devices to operate another device.  I only knew that Alexa could process vocal command triggers. I have been trying to ignore their repetitive spam notices lately, so maybe I missed this development. 

This function would  duplicate what ISY logic does using a motion detector to trigger a routine.

Instructions below. This will be on the wiki soon.

Using Alexa Routines

Alexa has for a while allowed you to create Alexa Routines to automate voice-related tasks. This capability is found in the Alexa mobile app, under Routines. 

Amazon has enhanced this by releasing new smart home capabilities to support motion sensors and contact sensors. The main benefit of this is to use them as triggers to an Alexa routine.

ISY Portal now supports these new motions sensors & contact sensors capabilities. In ISY Portal, under the Connectivity | Amazon Echo dialog, You can choose any ISY device, and expose it to Alexa as a motion sensor or a contact sensor. That can be a real motion or contact sensor, but that could also be an IOLinc or a plain regular light. To configure a device as a sensor, just set the Alexa category to Motion sensor or Contact sensor. 

If you are the owner of an ELM M1 Alarm system, and have it integrated with your ISY, you can use it too! You can expose any of the zones as a motion or contact sensor.

In addition to ISY nodes and ELK zones, you can also expose a state variable as a motion sensor. When configuring this, you need to specify a "Motion detected value". Whenever the state variable will be set to that value, the motion sensor status will be set to "Detected". Any other value will set the motion sensor to "Not detected".

But why would someone want to expose a state variable as a motion sensor? The whole purpose is to trigger Alexa routines programmatically. 

One of the simple but nice feature of an Alexa routine is to say something you decide, whenever the routine is triggered. Therefore, using variables exposed as motion sensors allows you to create programs that tells Alexa to say something. Now your ISY can talk!

What Alexa says is configured within the routine, and therefore static. But you can create as many routines as you want, and you can do so using a single variable. When you create the spoken in ISY Portal, you can reuse multiple times the same variable, expose it as a sensor, but use a different "Motion detected value". 

This allows you to have Alexa say something when value=1, something else if it value = 2, etc...

Troubleshooting tips:
  • Whenever you make changes to your spokens, please remember to have Alexa discover the devices. You can just ask "Alexa, discover my devices".
  • If you delete or rename spokens, remember to go to the Alexa app and delete those obsolete devices. Otherwise, they will just stay there as "offline", but it will still be recognized by Alexa and give you an error message.
  • If you change the type of a device, let's say from motion sensor to contact sensor, and you have used it in a routine, you will have to remove it from the routine, and re-add it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:52 PM, bmercier said:

Hello everyone,

We will have a maintenance next Sunday 30-09-2018 at 5:00 AM PDT which will last for up to 1 hour. During this period, the subscription server will be restarted, which will drop any active subscriptions. If you use Mobilinc, the app will automatically reconnect when it's back online.

New feature:

• Add support for Alexa contact and motion sensors. ISY devices, State variables & ELK Zones can be exposed as Alexa contact sensor or motion sensor. The main benefit is to use them as triggers in Alexa routines.

Maintenance:

• Install OS patches

Benoit

After the maintenance run, my portal doesn't connect with my ISY.  The portal message (red triangle) next to my UUID says my license is not active.  My license is paid through 2020.  I've rebooted by ISY without success.  Of course, Alexa and Mobilinc don't work.  Any idea what's wrong?