Accessing ISY from outside the LAN

Didn't get to the agave part yet but I'm at house 2 and via the ISY Portal, I'm in admin console on house 1. This is brilliant! I can set the ISY back to DHCP instead of reserving an address out and then on the router, I can shut off the port forwarding to 443 AND then I guess I really don't need the dyndns.org anymore.
It's a good idea to reserve your ISY's IP address the router assigned within your router. This way when your ISP changes your router IP address, the router doesn't change your ISY ip address.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, dbuss said:

It's a good idea to reserve your ISY's IP address the router assigned within your router. This way when your ISP changes your router IP address, the router doesn't change your ISY ip address.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I thought that was the point of the very long URL that it was always talking to get the updated IP address? That's why I could get rid of port forwarding and such. Are you still saying just make the ISY IP static on the LAN Side?

47 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

correct.

If you need to communicate with ISY from outside the LAN, the portal generates a url for you to plug into whatever it is.  You will use one of these url's for your Agave.  Please note, you will need portal on both ISY's to access both of them from outside the LAN, and you will need two usernames for Agave.  The portal allows you to have a single account with both ISY's registered to that account and also have two (or more) users on that account.  But Agave requires that the username you are using has the target ISY listed as its primary.  Obviously, only one primary can be assigned to any given username, so you need to create two of them and assign one username as ISY 1 primary and the other username as ISY 2 primary.  As far as logging into ISY admin console, any username associated with the account will let you log in.

And just when I think I'm getting it.... LOL! So I have the portal setup on both and I have a very very long URL in the ISY finder so I can get to either. 

When I wasn't using the portal, Agave let me have two profiles and I just changed the blah.dyndns.org to blahhouse2.dyndns.org for the second profile and have no issues and I had to change the password in the profile accordingly. So now in agave you're saying I can't just have those 2 profiles set up with the individual URLs generated and go from there? One is still primary but that would be the URL for "house1" if you will but now the portal ID/password (so both Agave profiles would have the same ID/password). I guess I'm not understand how what you're telling me is different from what I think I can do (except that Agave didn't like the very very long URL)

ok I think I get what you're saying now that I went through this. I bought the agave access so it turns on the enable portal access in Agave on both profiles, but since it then asks for the ID/password, which is the same, how does it know what to go to if I blank out the regular login link with the dyndns.org stuff. So are you saying that I need two portal accounts now too so that I can put those two different logins into agave?

23 minutes ago, watson524 said:

ok I think I get what you're saying now that I went through this. I bought the agave access so it turns on the enable portal access in Agave on both profiles, but since it then asks for the ID/password, which is the same, how does it know what to go to if I blank out the regular login link with the dyndns.org stuff. So are you saying that I need two portal accounts now too so that I can put those two different logins into agave?

That is why you need to create two portal user ids.  It doesn't cost anything.  You set the one id as primary for the one isy and the other as primary for the other isy.  Then set the userid/password accordingly in agave.

Ok I think I have it working right. 2 portal IDs, and in the portal I have the preferred ISY set on each one in the users tab, then in agave portal is turned on for both profiles and I put in the appropriate login based on the profile and can control things. It won't let me take out the old regular login with the non email address login, dyndns and port info but I just installed a new router at house 2 and am 100% sure I'm not forwarding any ports so tho it won't let me wipe it out, it can't be using it because I have dyndns.org disabled on the router so...... Then this means all should be good right? And in the admin console, I have both very long URLs that show up in ISY finder so I just pick based on what I want to access. I wish I could rename them to something nice other than ISY but it doesn't seem to let me.

If memory serves me agave was a little funny about deleting a login profile.  I fiddled with it and eventually was able to get rid of my old logins when I was doing port forwarding.  I think once I got the portal one connected it would let me delete the other, I forget.  I don't think it matters, except it may slow down the initial login if it is trying the old way first.

Archived