Elk New user - Long time ISY user

silverton38

13 hours ago, silverton38 said:

My disarm works and I did try arming in a program which did not work.

Might be the obvious, but did you set up a separate user for your ISY?  I call mine ISY-name of house.  I.e. I have a house on Players Path so the user is ISY-PlayersPath.

Next question, did you verify the user you created for the ISY has the ability to arm?  

3 hours ago, Scottmichaelj said:

Unfortunately 2601 cannot be used since Windows 10 update and the new secure protocols. Your ISY and Elk are internal so security shouldnt be too much of a worry.

I saw that note and made sure that non-secure was allowed in RP2, disconnected RP-2 and still I do not get the "refresh topology" button to highlight in UD Admin Console.  I also tested the 2101 non-secure connection as instructed in the UDI Elk Module install guide

you can fake monitoring set up by having it call your cell phone.  It will give you an error if you test, but that should have nothing to do with the ISY remote arm/disam.  The user code that you set up in the ISY is all that the ELK knows.  If it is set up right, the elk treats the serial input like another keypad.

1 hour ago, silverton38 said:

I have my appointment at 12PM tomorrow so I will eliminate it as a possibility. This should be working so I have to consider any and all little issues that I have.

Others also have this problem so I really want to solve it.

Your appointment with the alarm company?  Do you own the ELK and have full access with RP2?  Did you build a user code with full access that isn't a real user so it is easier to test?  Have you tried that same code at the keypad?

8 hours ago, Scottmichaelj said:

Unfortunately 2601 cannot be used since Windows 10 update and the new secure protocols. Your ISY and Elk are internal so security shouldnt be too much of a worry.

Also shutdown your ELK software and use 2101 only.

50 minutes ago, KC10Brain said:

Your appointment with the alarm company?  Do you own the ELK and have full access with RP2?  Did you build a user code with full access that isn't a real user so it is easier to test?  Have you tried that same code at the keypad?

I am setting up the alarm with Alarm Relay (monitoring company). To the best of my knowledge I have full access. I did change the code from the default user code. My code works on the keypad for arming and disarming.

So I used Alarm.com and programmed everything myself for them to monitor.  I used to own a home automation company that also had a security service and for 1/3 the cost of most companies, Alarm.com can do the same thing and you have 100% of the control of your system.  

I would still recommend creating a new user and copying your user information, and use a different passcode and make sure you give it full privileges in the ELK and then use that new user passcode for the ISY.  

My vacation house has never had a hiccup, it is only my main house that I can't get the ISY to communicate with the ELK, and I don't have a PC here so I am sure some of it is the fact that I have Win7 running on parrallels trying to program it.  After my last change to the elk, the windows update started loading and it has taken two days to finish so tomorrow I'll keep working on that issue.  If I see the same thing you are experiencing I'll do what I can.  I have to leave around noon tomorrow though to work on the road for a few days.

9 hours ago, Scottmichaelj said:

Still not working and the Wiki is clearly not up to date as it says that a 994i pro should use secure.  I have tried both, and followed directions both ways.  My vacation house is secure, and is nearly identical to this house except I have an old HP laptop up there to connect RP2.  Otherwise they are the same.  My main house has a lot more door/window sensors and light switches but that should have nothing to do with connecting.  I have tried secure, non-secure, and I have used the installer password, a pre-programed user (as I do in the other house) and this one just won''t play nice.

50 minutes ago, silverton38 said:

What is the TLS username  and password in the ELK setup?

Hmmm.... Not something I would share, but the same format as I have at the vacation home that is working, i.e. street name for the username and a secure password.

And admittedly, the TLS Username and Password are not covered in the Wiki either.  For others looking at this I have yet to see a box that says 

"TLS Username" or "TLS Password".  It isn't even mentioned in the M1EXP installation manual.  The UD Wiki only mentions the 4 or 6 digit passcode for a user with the correct access.  

The system that is working is using User 5 ISy-Streetname and pass code XXXX and that is it with non-secure port 2101. 

3 hours ago, DennisC said:

Suggest you search forum for ISY Cookbook and follow step by step directions listed there. I section 6.11.3.6 in the Elk troubleshooting section appears to cover not seeing the topography area.

I can not find it in the Wiki. My system is working I just want to know what username and password are they talking about. This is the ELK settings in the ISY. Does anyone know which username and password are they referring to?

It is a curiosity thing more then anything?

2 hours ago, DennisC said:

Suggest you search forum for ISY Cookbook and follow step by step directions listed there. I section 6.11.3.6 in the Elk troubleshooting section appears to cover not seeing the topography area.

6.11.3.6 is exactly the same information as the Wiki article.  I have a 994i, not a 99i.  in 6.11.3.4 it instructs 994 Pro to be set to a secure port number.  I have tried it both ways to no avail. In 6.11.3.4, there is no mention of the TLS username or password, only the access code for the user in ELK RP2.  Past experience made it a practice for me to create a separate user with a separate code so I could see what the ISY was doing in the log file on the ELK M1.

I agree with Silverton38, the terminology is not consistent with the two devices and their associated documentation.

This morning my ISY 994i Pro was locked up again, just like yesterday morning.  It is possible that it is causing a "broadcast storm" of sorts, but I don't see anything major with my IP sniffer and just like yesterday, I don't see it broadcasting at all.  Hopefully not another reset/restore.

49 minutes ago, KC10Brain said:

6.11.3.6 is exactly the same information as the Wiki article.  I have a 994i, not a 99i.  in 6.11.3.4 it instructs 994 Pro to be set to a secure port number.  I have tried it both ways to no avail. In 6.11.3.4, there is no mention of the TLS username or password, only the access code for the user in ELK RP2.  Past experience made it a practice for me to create a separate user with a separate code so I could see what the ISY was doing in the log file on the ELK M1.

I agree with Silverton38, the terminology is not consistent with the two devices and their associated documentation.

This morning my ISY 994i Pro was locked up again, just like yesterday morning.  It is possible that it is causing a "broadcast storm" of sorts, but I don't see anything major with my IP sniffer and just like yesterday, I don't see it broadcasting at all.  Hopefully not another reset/restore.

I do find that when you change the ELK settings the ISY becomes locked or nearly locked for 5 to 10 minutes after you do that. Try waiting and see if it is happy after 10 mins.

Ok so it appears to be solved.

After another reset/restore I looked at my switch log, ( yes I have a managed switch in the house) and it was "port isolating" the ISY after 5-10 minutes, and then at 2am locking it out because it was in fact causing a broadcast storm.  Even though I thought I set it to 2101, the switch log  had it broadcasting for port 2601.

I removed the Elk information from the configuration tab in the ISY AC, did a basic power removal reboot and reset the network switch to allow for more traffic from the ISY,.  Still nothing.  Thinking the ISY might be caching network data for some reason I then I rebooted (un plugged, waited 10 seconds) the ISY one more time and and Voila, it started using 2101 unsecured with the 5th user code as I did at the cabin.

The ISY is still very slow.  Arm Stay, Arm Away and disarm all work.   When I try to test the ELK Console I get a Java Exception but I am guessing that is because I am Mac and ELK isn't there yet.  

No time to play with this today,  At least refresh topology worked and the system populated.

Hitting the road for three days, and as the wise man says "We'll see"

58 minutes ago, KC10Brain said:

Ok so it appears to be solved.

After another reset/restore I looked at my switch log, ( yes I have a managed switch in the house) and it was "port isolating" the ISY after 5-10 minutes, and then at 2am locking it out because it was in fact causing a broadcast storm.  Even though I thought I set it to 2101, the switch log  had it broadcasting for port 2601.

I removed the Elk information from the configuration tab in the ISY AC, did a basic power removal reboot and reset the network switch to allow for more traffic from the ISY,.  Still nothing.  Thinking the ISY might be caching network data for some reason I then I rebooted (un plugged, waited 10 seconds) the ISY one more time and and Voila, it started using 2101 unsecured with the 5th user code as I did at the cabin.

The ISY is still very slow.  Arm Stay, Arm Away and disarm all work.   When I try to test the ELK Console I get a Java Exception but I am guessing that is because I am Mac and ELK isn't there yet.  

No time to play with this today,  At least refresh topology worked and the system populated.

Hitting the road for three days, and as the wise man says "We'll see"

Great news.

I have everything working now except ARMING and DISARMING. The Elk is monitored now and working perfectly. I also get that Java error so I am thinking it might be a MAC issue. I will try my PC and see if it still happens.

59 minutes ago, silverton38 said:

Before I start bringing in some experts to look at my configuration. Does anyone have any suggestions what might be causing my ISY not to be able to ARM or DISARM the ELK?

See this post.  User @nadler suggests that if you uncheck the "Access" checkbox in the ElkRP (I assume for the user that the AC uses to connect), then the problem goes away.

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 10.10.00 AM.png

I only have remote access right now and I can not seem to edit the ELK configuration on the ISY. I removed the ELK configuration and it is not letting me enter new information.

I will be back at that location in about 10 days and I will try to do it locally. I will update at that time.

On 10/23/2018 at 12:15 PM, Bumbershoot said:

See this post.  User @nadler suggests that if you uncheck the "Access" checkbox in the ElkRP (I assume for the user that the AC uses to connect), then the problem goes away.

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 10.10.00 AM.png

Yes, this is correct!  I was following this thread and was trying to remember this particular detail but I just couldn't come up with it.  It has been so many years now since I set it up.

• 3 weeks later...

I can finally update that I actively have an Elk system running in my home with Alarm Relay monitoring. 

This was a real challenge but it was a lot of fun. I would say the ELK system is complicated but powerful once installed. 

During the same period I did install (and reviewed) the Ring Alarm system. It was easy and fast but there was no home automation integration.

I have to say something about the ISY. I reviewed the Smartthings hub and the Wink hub over the last month and they both have issues. I can confirm that the ISY is by far a much better solution then either one. I suspect once the 5.X is out of beta, the ISY will be an amazing solution for Z-wave as it is for insteon.

Archived