Not a new user but feel like one... Have a start-up question

I haven't logged into my ISY in quite some time as the programming that was in it was sufficient.  I think I had a month or two lapse in my ISY Portal account and ever since renewing it, the portal functions have not started working and I have not been able to log in to my ISY locally with the javascript login.  The ISY portal says I am offline but the ISY is still executing the code that is in it.  I even see the led's flash as I press Insteon devices and the Ethernet leds are also showing activity.

What do I need to do to get the device to connect to my portal account and also be able to log in locally?

I also had another unrelated problem with my sufrace.  When using the Surface to login using the javascript, the size of teh text was so small, it was unusable.  

OK, wow.  I was unaware of the new launcher.  I was on the ISY Portal and saw my licence was active and that is also where I saw the the "ISY is not online".  I did not see the troubleshooting that does say what to do if the ISY is not online.  

from the troubleshooter

• In the admin console, client on Help | Manage modules to refresh the portal module on ISY. <--since I am logging in on ISY Portal, is that also the admin console or is the admin console the console I used to be able to access where all of my programming is?  I guess I am still lost on how to access.
  • Reboot your ISY. <--I have done this several times
  • Reboot your router.<--I have done this several times
  • In ISY Portal, on the ISY tab, click refresh a few times.<--I have done this several times
4 hours ago, epete said:

since I am logging in on ISY Portal, is that also the admin console or is the admin console the console I used to be able to access where all of my programming is?  I guess I am still lost on how to access.

Admin console is the one where all of your programming is, yes.  Did not the advice from paulbates for problem number 1 restore your access?

On 10/22/2018 at 11:23 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

@epete,

If your ISY is still not online, please send your error log to support@universal-devices.com.

With kind regards,
Michel

I am sorry.  If I cannot log in, how do I get an error log file.  

Do you, by chance, know the local IP address of your ISY?  If not, are you comfortable logging into your router and finding the local IP address.  Once known, type it into your browser window.  You can at least see the dashboard for clues to what is going on.

Or, try http://myisyipaddress/admin.jnlp on a web browser.  

Do you know what software version is on your ISY.  The methods suggested by universal devices can be, if I recall, dependent on SW version.

12 hours ago, oberkc said:

Do you, by chance, know the local IP address of your ISY?  If not, are you comfortable logging into your router and finding the local IP address.  Once known, type it into your browser window.  You can at least see the dashboard for clues to what is going on.

Or, try http://myisyipaddress/admin.jnlp on a web browser.  

Do you know what software version is on your ISY.  The methods suggested by universal devices can be, if I recall, dependent on SW version.

I had that thought as well but, believe it or not, I have 53 devices on my network.  I have identified many of the devices but not all.  ISY is one of the unidentified IP addresses.  I wish the ISY had the MAC listed on the label.  That would make it much easier.  I guess I can take screenshots of all connected devices, then power off the ISY and refresh my router and see which item is no longer visible.  I will give that a try today.

1 hour ago, epete said:

I had that thought as well but, believe it or not, I have 53 devices on my network.

You have almost as many devices as I do.  I have gone through my connected devices on the router and given them useful names.  I have also assigned static addresses for the critical items and saved them in my favorites, under a folder "network devices".

Yes, I have tried to given many useful names.  I have also just discovered my ASUS router doesn't do a very good job of refreshing.  After unplugging devices and selecting refresh I still have the same number of devices connected.  Then if I wait a wile, the router seems to refresh itself and still shows the same number of devices.  When I filter on items that are connected by Ethernet, I still see items that are connected by Wifi (like my Nest).  I am going to have to spend more time with this, this weekend.

2 hours ago, epete said:

Yes, I have tried to given many useful names.  I have also just discovered my ASUS router doesn't do a very good job of refreshing.  After unplugging devices and selecting refresh I still have the same number of devices connected.  Then if I wait a wile, the router seems to refresh itself and still shows the same number of devices.  When I filter on items that are connected by Ethernet, I still see items that are connected by Wifi (like my Nest).  I am going to have to spend more time with this, this weekend.

I also have an Asus AC1900 router that doesn't like to re-connect to some devices. I believe after about 18 different firmware versions and 2 different sources of firmware, it is improving somewhat but power blips here cause it to crash internally without any indication, until power cycled. Soft reboot usually doesn't fix it either.

3 hours ago, epete said:

If you have a smartphone or tablet, give Fing a try.  It does a really good job of identifying devices on your network.  It recognizes my ISY as being from "Universal Devices".

https://www.fing.io/

• 1 month later...

Alright.  I had an attack on my router (replaced entire system), my PC Crashed and My NAS had two of 4 drives fail in a RAID5 config so all data was lost.  So now that I am finished dealing with all of that I am back to this.  My new Router ASUS RT-AC5300 also does not show my ISY as a device on my network.  I have swapped Ethernet cables with the PC that is sitting next to the ISY to validate it is connected to a live port that works and cable that works.  The ISY looks as if it is connected with the LEDs and the programs that were installed on it still run.  I just have no way top connect and the portal service still has no functionality since the day I purchased the renewal.  

I have now gone through my router and added useful names to all devices except 3 that I cannot figure out exactly what device they are.  I tries all three of the mistery IPs in http://myisyipaddress/admin.jnlp and it did not bring up the page so I dont believe any of those IPs belong to the ISY

The Fing device looks interesting but I hate to sink more money into another device that my router should be able to do and after replacing a ton of other items, I am kind of done for a bit.  I really wish Universal Devices printed the MAC on the ISY.  That would go a long way in helping.

Any ideas on how I can get the error log to sent into support if I cannot connect?

I am not sure why I didn't think of this sooner, but I have now connected the ISY to a stand alone router.  So the router had no WAN connection but simply had my PC in port 1 and ISY in port 2 and Wifi Shut off.  Again the LEDs on the ISY Ethernet Jack were showing activity but when I logged into the router's setup screen it only reported my PC's connection on the LAN side.

Sounds like a subnet match problem. Is the router on the same subnet and using the same mask as the ISY?

Is ISY using DCP? Is the ISY DHCP address set to the router IP address?

You can't usually have two DCHP servers enabled on one network. The IP assignment may be registered in the master router (the one with DCHP enabled) if on the same network.

Is the router capable of auto-accepting both wirings for a straight through Ethernet cable, as well as a cross over cable? Try a different cable? Check green LED on the router port plug.

I wish I read this before I hit the factory reset button.  I did update the subnet in my router because the previous router seemed to have been getting attacked and I would have to reset it.  I thought I was using DCHP but no way to confirm now. 

I replaced my entire router so there was no previous assignment for the ISY.

Also cable was tested as it works on the PC sitting next to the ISY.   

Well, ISY Finder still does not connect after the factory reset and I still don't see the ISY listed as a client on my router so maybe it is time to purchase a new ISY.  Its too bad because other than connecting all of my old programming was working fine.  I just cannot update it.

This unit was an Insteon only.  Any opinion on getting Insteon + Zwave? (Noting that I currently do not own any zwave products) 

I too wish you hadn't done a full factory reset quite so soon.  Here's a better way to reset this (below).  Don't throw out the ISY just yet -- give this a try, and see if you can figure out the IP address, and reset it so that it gets one from your current router.  (And to make your life better in the long run, take the time to figure out how your router handles IP address ranges, so you're not beholden to the whims of your equipment manufacturers with regard to networking... it's time well spent.)

<rant> 

Having spent most of my adult life doing tech support and services activities, I find myself often ashamed for the industry.  If automobiles were similar to computers and network devices, well, basically the situation that epete finds himself in is akin to deciding to tow your relatively new car to the junk yard and replace it with an identical model, simply because the gas cap won't come off.

No, that's not an extreme example -- resetting a network address on any device shouldn't be any harder than removing a stuck/jammed gas cap on a car.  And just like cross-threading or jamming a gas cap is a failure that happens due to a human doing something (and thus should be considered by the designer as a common, preventable human error), so it is with a network IP/DHCP configuration problem (also created by human activity, and thus a failure mode that should be planned for and accommodated by the equipment designer).  Yet we in the industry continue to treat DHCP vs fixed IPs as "rocket science" and generally fail to standardize a means to deal with what is an increasingly-common need for users. 

Perhaps some day there will be a single standard way to remove and replace IPs/DHCP on devices, and a standard way to configure and manage DHCP leases on routers -- rather like today we take it for granted that anyone can take any manufacturer's automobile to any gas station, and fill up the tank without drama.

</rant>

1 hour ago, mwester said:

I too wish you hadn't done a full factory reset quite so soon.  Here's a better way to reset this (below).  Don't throw out the ISY just yet -- give this a try, and see if you can figure out the IP address, and reset it so that it gets one from your current router.  (And to make your life better in the long run, take the time to figure out how your router handles IP address ranges, so you're not beholden to the whims of your equipment manufacturers with regard to networking... it's time well spent.)

<rant> 

Having spent most of my adult life doing tech support and services activities, I find myself often ashamed for the industry.  If automobiles were similar to computers and network devices, well, basically the situation that epete finds himself in is akin to deciding to tow your relatively new car to the junk yard and replace it with an identical model, simply because the gas cap won't come off.

No, that's not an extreme example -- resetting a network address on any device shouldn't be any harder than removing a stuck/jammed gas cap on a car.  And just like cross-threading or jamming a gas cap is a failure that happens due to a human doing something (and thus should be considered by the designer as a common, preventable human error), so it is with a network IP/DHCP configuration problem (also created by human activity, and thus a failure mode that should be planned for and accommodated by the equipment designer).  Yet we in the industry continue to treat DHCP vs fixed IPs as "rocket science" and generally fail to standardize a means to deal with what is an increasingly-common need for users. 

Perhaps some day there will be a single standard way to remove and replace IPs/DHCP on devices, and a standard way to configure and manage DHCP leases on routers -- rather like today we take it for granted that anyone can take any manufacturer's automobile to any gas station, and fill up the tank without drama.

</rant>

Good analogy with the car!

The manufacturers would rather spend months of programming time trying to make the software self-setting instead of supplying needed documentation at the critical times. Perhaps based on code monkeys not being good at interacting with human beings? :) Afterall...nobody should ever know or understand what they have done in their secret endeavours. We have to prevent the Chinese from reverse engineering our software sooner than a few hours...ROFLMAO!!

I don't know why we have to use IP address conversion in the first place as ever piece of hardware comes with a (supposed to be) unique MAC address, possible shorter than IPV6 coming slowly.

@epete Can you not fire up the old router, with just your PC plugged into it and inspect the network IP addresses setup? It worked with your ISY and the subnet and IP address allowance range should match your ISY, giving you a clue what range to set your new router too.

Archived