Jump to content

Using A KPL To Control A Ceiling Fan With No Light


smokegrub

Recommended Posts

The wall switch for this fan controls power to the fan. A pull chain is used to control fan speed. I plan to replace the wall switch with a KPL and place a FanLinc in the fan. I will use the KPL's On and Off buttons to control power to the fan. I plan to normally leave the fan continuously powered. I would then use the buttons to control the fan's On/Off status and speed. Is there a better way to do this?

 

Link to comment
4 hours ago, smokegrub said:

I will use the KPL's On and Off buttons to control power to the fan. I plan to normally leave the fan continuously powered.

This confuses me.  Why have ON and OFF buttons for a device you plan to leave continuously powered?

Just out of curiosity, why would you wire the fan this way as opposed to sending continuous power to the FanLinc and allowing the FanLinc to control the fan's ON/OFF?  The latter is how I have my fan wired, but my fan has a light so I need continuous power to the FanLinc so that the light can be ON even when the fan is OFF.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, kclenden said:

This confuses me.  Why have ON and OFF buttons for a device you plan to leave continuously powered?

Just out of curiosity, why would you wire the fan this way as opposed to sending continuous power to the FanLinc and allowing the FanLinc to control the fan's ON/OFF?  The latter is how I have my fan wired, but my fan has a light so I need continuous power to the FanLinc so that the light can be ON even when the fan is OFF.

I think that's how he said he was doing it just in a different way. If I'm wrong then it should be wired to constant hot like you state

Link to comment
10 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I think that's how he said he was doing it just in a different way. If I'm wrong then it should be wired to constant hot like you state

Like kclenden, I took it the other way also.  Made no sense to me either.  Better to wire the fanlinc to constan power.  Use the KPL on/off buttons NOT to control “power to the fan” (direct quote) but use these buttons (rather than pull chains) to control the light

Link to comment
1 hour ago, oberkc said:

Like kclenden, I took it the other way also.  Made no sense to me either.  Better to wire the fanlinc to constan power.  Use the KPL on/off buttons NOT to control “power to the fan” (direct quote) but use these buttons (rather than pull chains) to control the light

I thought so too until he said he would leave it constantly powered but as I type that I see what you're saying. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I thought so too until he said he would leave it constantly powered but as I type that I see what you're saying. 

There is no light. That is why I considered using the On/Off buttons on the KPL to control power to the fan. I know that is an "odd ball" setup, but if not used in that manner, what do I do with the On/Off buttons?

Link to comment
2 hours ago, smokegrub said:

There is no light. That is why I considered using the On/Off buttons on the KPL to control power to the fan. I know that is an "odd ball" setup, but if not used in that manner, what do I do with the On/Off buttons?

Even if there's nothing connected to the red "load" wire on the KPL, the on/off buttons continue to send their "on/off" signals -- so you can happily use those on/off buttons in a scene to control something else.  I do this in my kitchen, where due to a strange layout and a somewhat odd interpretation of what constitute a "hallway" (and thus requires three-way switches), I have far more KPLs on the wall than I have actual loads to control.  It works out really well.

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...