New house, more choices.

Ajax

I agree with@lilyoyo1 about installing and testing what you like first.

For the times I use ZWave I like Aeotec products. Solid support and quality devices. Check out their “WallSwipe” switch. I haven’t gotten one yet, but they look nice online. I love the Aeotec water leak detectors, multisensor 6, recessed door sensor and range extender. I have used all these items personally and professionally and have nothing but good results.

https://aeotec.com/z-wave-wall-switch

One last note.....Test everything you plan on using i that house for compatibility. You can ask people on here which can help guide you with their past purchases but you should always test prior to investing. Components in your bulbs and switches can be changed which could potentially effect performance. 

• 1 month later...

OK well, I could not pass up on the last Insteon sale of ~$25 a switch so we are going Insteon again! The quick question never had to deal with LED's and Insteon, but the new house is all LED both Lithonia 65BE in 4" and 6" cans and WF4 LED modules (wafer) for areas that cans cannot fit. Will these LEDs work for dimming or am I going to run into issues?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

OK well, I could not pass up on the last Insteon sale of ~$25 a switch so we are going Insteon again! The quick question never had to deal with LED's and Insteon, but the new house is all LED both Lithonia 65BE in 4" and 6" cans and WF4 LED modules (wafer) for areas that cans cannot fit. Will these LEDs work for dimming or am I going to run into issues?

Thanks!

I have almost all LEDs bulbs with Insteon SwitchLinc Dimmers. I have no problems down to about 6 to 12% depending on the quality of the bulb. None of them flicker at the low end except a few of the old Cree bulb models that HD dumped years ago.

If you are using 4" pot lights, are they not low voltage (12vdc?) with an electronic transformer inside? I am using all 120v LED bulbs directly with my switches.

9 hours ago, Ajax said:

Thanks!

I have the same experience as @larryllix with LEDs. I have one that I can only dim so far.

Before you put a lot of effort into installing all switches, the best thing to do is test one of each kind bulb, and one at a time  and see what happens. If you have a test fixture wired up use that and bring the bulbs to it... if not install 1 switch in each LED scenario and test it that way.

Paul

25 minutes ago, Ajax said:

OK after a little light reading found this in the spec sheets. So it looks good to go for the wafer (WF4) series, but will probably test first since I cannot seem to find any info for the 65BE compatibility. https://a89b8e4143ca50438f09-7c1706ba3fabeeda794725d88e4f5e57.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/spec_sheets/files/000/063/720/original/lithonia-wf4led30kmvoltmw-specs-and-dimmer.pdf?1522946569image.png.3750c16dca0a1d4e325e07f3a1a814d0.png

I'd test regardless of what specs show to ensure it performs the way you like. I went with 120v bulbs vs low voltage pot lights because I wanted to be able to easily swap things out as quality and performance improved. 

Good thing I tested the wafers. They do blink for a couple of seconds at full power. Do you guys have any other ideas suggestions for replacement 4" wafers that look similar? If not I will have to scrap the Insteon for this house.

Yeah called Leviton and said that they changed the internals and removed the Insteon dimmer from their list of compatible dimmers in their latest spec sheet. So just decided to scrap the whole smart house idea for my parents. Hopefully, smart-home is good about returns or I might save it for my next house...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OK guys bring this thread back, as I am building a house for myself again. And since I still have about $7000.00 worth of insteon products to use form the last project that was incompatible due to the LED's that was used and I missed the return deadline.

For the guys that switched to LED cans. Been reading thru the forums to find model #'s etc. but I dont seem to find to much info. Anyone want to throw out some models #'s that work for them? And yes I am fine with them not dimming all the way down. I am looking for both 4" and 6"

• 8 months later...

Archived