Polyglot Hubitat Elevation NodeServer

simplextech

Just now, RRoyceus said:

I was able to add back Hubitat in Polisy.  I now have the controller, but none of the bulbs.  I copied the Hubitat maker_url to the maker_uri, but I still do not see the devices.  I do not have anything in custom parameters if that matters

Make sure the bulbs are selected in Hubitat in the Maker API app.

I turned off the Raspberry Pi that I previously was using, went back to Hubitat and on the Maker configuration page enter the URL of the Polisy, saved, rebooted the Polisy, then closed and re-opened the admin console.  Everything showed up.

6 hours ago, starmanj said:

Simplextech,

Are you planning on porting this to the polyglot cloud? I would love to use it!

It can't run in the cloud as it needs local communication to the Hubitat Hub.  It runs on Polyglot (rPi) and Polisy

Just now, starmanj said:

Oops. Guess that was a wasted purchase...thought Hubitat had a cloud based API.

No Hubitat is a local system for the most part.  They have some cloud interactions.  The Maker API "can" be exposed to a cloud connection but I don't advise it nor does the Nodeserver work with it.  If you have a raspberry pi handy then you could run Polyglot on that. 

THANK YOU for helping with this challenge!

I'm a long time ISY user and I have over 40 Insteon devices in my home working rock solidly. I've also been using Mobilinc Pro for a long time with the ISY for iPhone app access.
I upgraded the ISY to support ZWave, and selected ZWave over Zigbee due to my (at the time) urgent need to connect to door locks, which at the time were all ZWave.
I have found since that decision that many of the devices I'd like to use are Zigbee, and ISY can't support ZWave and Zigbee at the same time. I also like/need the temperature info from ZWave and Zigbee devices since the Insteon world makes that really hard. 

I've tried to integrate a Smartthings hub to ISY, to get access to Zigbee devices, but have failed miserably. I have about 10 Smarthings devices that I've purchased that are apparently Zigbee, and I'm stuck. I had Smartthings connected to ISY and running ZWave devices for a short while, but that wasn't stable, and isn't needed given I can control ZWave devices directly from ISY.

So I've ordered a Hubitat, that should give me local control of Zigbee and Zwave devices.

My question...
So once I have Zigbee devices connected to Hubitat, and Hubitat integrated to ISY, the Zigbee devices will be visible, viewable and programmable via the ISY? (I think so, just confirming).
Example: Smartthings Zigbee motion sensor in kitchen senses motion, and ISY is programmed to turn-on the kitchen lights (Insteon wall switch) once that motion happens.

My request... 
Would it be possible to post a step-by-step guide to connecting Zigbee (and/or ZWave devices to Hubitat, and integrating a Hubitat hub into the ISY, so I can monitor and control Zigbee devices from the ISY?  I mean literally from the beginning, step-by-step, including the awesome integration SW that you've developed... I'm tech savvy, but haven't ever used Github, Polyglot, etc.

I think that if there is a really good step-by-step guide to doing this, it could really help Hubitat, as well as the ISY community, both communities I'd like to support and see flourish. 
Until someone comes up with an Insteon/Zwave/Zigbee hub with great local control and programming, I think hub to hub interfaces will be our reality. 

My offer...
If you need help with testing, or access to some Insteon devices, or whatever, I'd be glad to help in any way I can. I know these projects can be a lot easier when there are people around you that are helping...

Thanks!

10 hours ago, billpleasanton said:

My question...
So once I have Zigbee devices connected to Hubitat, and Hubitat integrated to ISY, the Zigbee devices will be visible, viewable and programmable via the ISY? (I think so, just confirming).
Example: Smartthings Zigbee motion sensor in kitchen senses motion, and ISY is programmed to turn-on the kitchen lights (Insteon wall switch) once that motion happens.

Most but not all device types from Hubitat are supported.  Those that do not work can be added but will take information and time.  Your assertion of how the devices will work is correct.  Once the device is added correctly in Hubitat and exposed through the Maker API the ISY Nodeserver will mirror that device into the ISY.  The ISY node can then be used in programs just like any other ISY device.

10 hours ago, billpleasanton said:

My request... 
Would it be possible to post a step-by-step guide to connecting Zigbee (and/or ZWave devices to Hubitat, and integrating a Hubitat hub into the ISY, so I can monitor and control Zigbee devices from the ISY?  I mean literally from the beginning, step-by-step, including the awesome integration SW that you've developed... I'm tech savvy, but haven't ever used Github, Polyglot, etc.

I will have to work on this.  At the moment I have limited time for a lot of things but I will add it to the list.  There's a lot of details and screenshots in the forum with information and the setup is quite basic and only requires adding the Local URL of Hubitat Maker API into the configuration of the Nodeserver.  The step often missed is the exposing of the devices through Maker API. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi @simplextech,

I have a feedback problem with this node server where I have a z-wave switch that is paired with the HE.  This switch is included in the Maker API app so that it shows up as a node on the ISY.  On the ISY this node is included as a controller in a Scene.  Sometimes if the switch is turned on and off again too quickly a feedback loop is created that causes the scene and switch to turn on and off continuously.  I was wondering if you have seen this issue and if you might have a solution?

Thanks,

-Robert

5 minutes ago, rl1965 said:

Hi @simplextech,

I have a feedback problem with this node server where I have a z-wave switch that is paired with the HE.  This switch is included in the Maker API app so that it shows up as a node on the ISY.  On the ISY this node is included as a controller in a Scene.  Sometimes if the switch is turned on and off again too quickly a feedback loop is created that causes the scene and switch to turn on and off continuously.  I was wondering if you have seen this issue and if you might have a solution?

Thanks,

-Robert

I have not seen that issue but I don't run z-wave through Hubitat.  I actually don't run anything through Hubitat any longer except for testing on occasions. 

When the loop occurs where is the switch being controlled from?  The ISY scene or from Hubitat or manually flipping the switch on/off continuously?

Sorry for the delay, and no hurry on an answer as this isn't a priority for me.  I spent some time to make sure the setup was as simple as possible and then to see if I could recreate the problem, and I can.

The action to create the problem is to physically turn the z-wave wall switch on and then off fairly quickly.  It only takes one or two tries to get the problem to happen.

It seems like what happens is that the on command goes from Switch to ISY scene which then notifies the switch that it was turned on.  But, before the on message returns to the switch the switch has been turned off and the message was sent to turn off the scene.  This on/off race condition then continues indefinitely.  I'm not sure there is a good solution to this problem... Except maybe to ignore status response from ISY Scene if there was a command sent within the last n seconds.

-Robert

4 hours ago, rl1965 said:

Sorry for the delay, and no hurry on an answer as this isn't a priority for me.  I spent some time to make sure the setup was as simple as possible and then to see if I could recreate the problem, and I can.

The action to create the problem is to physically turn the z-wave wall switch on and then off fairly quickly.  It only takes one or two tries to get the problem to happen.

It seems like what happens is that the on command goes from Switch to ISY scene which then notifies the switch that it was turned on.  But, before the on message returns to the switch the switch has been turned off and the message was sent to turn off the scene.  This on/off race condition then continues indefinitely.  I'm not sure there is a good solution to this problem... Except maybe to ignore status response from ISY Scene if there was a command sent within the last n seconds.

-Robert

Solution:  Put z-wave devices in the ISY for direct control not in Hubitat :)

I'm not sure if this can effectively be solved within the nodeserver without effects to other devices with the current use of the WebSocket.  Hubitat has added a POST URL method for integrations as the websocket was not officially supported.  I've thought of redesigning to use this method but it would be a large rewrite of the NodeServer.

Data flow for reference

ISY -> NodeServer -> Hubitat MakerAPI -> Hubitat internals -> zwave controller -> switch

Return:

switch -> zwave controller -> Hubitat internals -> Hubitat WebSocket -> NodeServer -> ISY

As the issue happens when the switch is manually flipped on/off quickly the return route of the information is where something is getting repeated.  My current thought is that it's in the WebSocket where Hubitat is just spewing events and the NodeServer is ingesting and reacting to what hubitat is sending.   

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone,

I have been using my UD ISY994i since 2016 and have quite a few Insteon devices and sensors. I have sensors on my garage door, on my gates, on front and back door and 5 moisture sensors. I also have several echo devices. I have written programs that will send notifications to my Alexa using the echo app NotifyMe. This works well, but I would prefer to have Alexa notify me with out being prompted. I have been reading and have found a program that can be run on Hubitat, and SmartThings called “Echo Speak”. Is it possible to have my ISY send a “command” to a Hubitat and have it send the command to my echos to say “Water leak in bathroom”?

Also if I had to buy either a Hubitat, or a SmartThings, which would be a better choice?

Thank you in advance for your time and energy.

Bob Page

If the goal is to use Alexa devices to "speak" when something happens the most supported and easiest route is to expose things to Alexa as sensors (motion/contact) and then create an Alexa routing with a "Speak" action so when the sensor is On it will automatically speak.

No additional software or hubs are required for this.  Just the ISY and ISY Portal.

Good, I just don’t know how to do that. As I said earlier I am currently using “notify me” to send a message to my Alexa’s but don’t want to have to say “Alexa read notifications. “.  

i know you are busy but could you tell/show me how to make my ISY speak through my Alexa?

Again thank you for your assistance. 

Robert Page

12 hours ago, pagerr said:

i know you are busy but could you tell/show me how to make my ISY speak through my Alexa?

Getting closer to finishing the garage re-wire and new garage door opener install :)

anyways....

What are you wanting to do?

9 hours ago, pagerr said:

I am interested in having my ISY to speak through my echo devices without me having to say “Alexa read notifications”.

Speak when?  Something has to be a trigger..... so when a motion sensor or contact sensor is activated or when a switch is turned on.... something has to trigger the Alexa Routine which will then speak...

5 hours ago, simplextech said:

Speak when?  Something has to be a trigger..... so when a motion sensor or contact sensor is activated or when a switch is turned on.... something has to trigger the Alexa Routine which will then speak...

Originally posted Posted Saturday at 09:24 PM

I have been using my UD ISY994i since 2016 and have quite a few Insteon devices and sensors. I have sensors on my garage door, on my gates, on front and back door and 5 moisture sensors. I also have several echo devices. I have written programs that will send notifications to my Alexa using the echo app NotifyMe. This works well, but I would prefer to have Alexa speak to me without being prompted. I have been reading and have found a program that can be run on Hubitat, and SmartThings called “Echo Speak”. Is it possible to have my ISY send a "speak command” to my echos to say “Water leak in the bathroom”, without saying "Alexa to read notifications".

Bob Page

6 hours ago, pagerr said:

Originally posted Posted Saturday at 09:24 PM

I have been using my UD ISY994i since 2016 and have quite a few Insteon devices and sensors. I have sensors on my garage door, on my gates, on front and back door and 5 moisture sensors. I also have several echo devices. I have written programs that will send notifications to my Alexa using the echo app NotifyMe. This works well, but I would prefer to have Alexa speak to me without being prompted. I have been reading and have found a program that can be run on Hubitat, and SmartThings called “Echo Speak”. Is it possible to have my ISY send a "speak command” to my echos to say “Water leak in the bathroom”, without saying "Alexa to read notifications".

Bob Page

I think he's asking under what conditions and situations. 

Maybe an example would help.  I have a bear that likes to visit my bird feeder.  I attached a wireless tag to the the pole to detect motion.  When the tag is triggered a program in the ISY sets a state variable.  That variable is detected by Alexa and a voice prompt lets me know I have a visitor.  Here are screen shots from the portal and Alexa.  Hope that helps.

1142071674_Annotation2020-09-08081655(Small).png.18af01fcee39d2a841bf3f2cf0691a4b.png1151273258_PhotoSep0881812AM(Small).png.48d45c3aaee4122cf91259234d33ff7a.png

6 hours ago, pagerr said:

Could you show me your program that sets the s variable?

Here you go.  Note the 30 second wait before returning the variable back to the 0 value.  That's important to make sure Alexa doesn't miss it.  It can take up to 30 seconds for Alexa to acknowledge the change although it's usually much faster.

Screenshot 2020-09-10 075048 (Small).png

On 9/10/2020 at 4:58 AM, tmorse305 said:

Here you go.  Note the 30 second wait before returning the variable back to the 0 value.  That's important to make sure Alexa doesn't miss it.  It can take up to 30 seconds for Alexa to acknowledge the change although it's usually much faster.

Screenshot 2020-09-10 075048 (Small).png

Thank you very much, everything is working as I had hoped. You should be a teacher.

Archived