Does/Can Portal trigger program when there is no internet?

stillwater

I think the question might better be phrased as.... “Can a program trigger on ISY when the connection to ISY Portal goes offline?”.

I don’t think it can currently, but would be a nice addition.

This should be possible using the Ping Nodeserver on a local device like Polisy. I currently have the portal IP on my list of addresses to Ping. I currently only use a negative response to send a Pushover notice but a program can be written to do anything with the trigger.

This question has given me an idea on using Ping triggers and network resources to remotely reboot my Polisy. I’ll start another thread after doing some research...:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
13 minutes ago, MWareman said:

I think the question might better be phrased as.... “Can a program trigger on ISY when the connection to ISY Portal goes offline?”.

I don’t think it can currently, but would be a nice addition.

I believe the method in post 2 of this thread will detect either the local internet going offline, or the portal going offline.  the "trick" is the ISY uses a network resource to post back to itself thru the portal.  It's assumed the local internet is what we are looking for to be offline, but naturally if the portal instead failed the same thing would occur, a break in the clever loop created.

I believe @MrBill is correct about the unintended consequence of triggering when the portal goes down. 

The contention of @MWareman that the programs don't work to trigger on loss of local internet is empirically disproven by the fact that I have the programs @bmercier suggested working  (with some modifications) to reboot my internet service ( using an insteon switch) when the ISY loses connectivity to the ISY portal.   I also receive an email notification once the internet has restarted.  It is true that I don't (and didn't expect to)  receive email that the internet is out.  

Archived