New ISY994i, New Echo Dot & Frustrated User.

My objective is to have Alexa run a program in the ISY994i that commands an old fashioned X-10 module to turn a light on/off. I have a ISY994iZW+/IR-PRO & ISY Portal installed with the nifty Java admin console app under Windows 10. I've installed the latest and greatest (inept) "Alexa" app for Windows 10 from Amazon. All Accounts/ID's and Skills have been configured/installed. Paid all my Portal fees. I have all my X-10 devices defined to the ISY994i. I have an ON and an Off program working off of timers. I have the Echo Dot working on Wifi, I get great weather forecast.  However I cannot figure out how to plug the Echo Dot AKA "Alexa" into the ISY994i and have her/it listen for my command to run the X-10 programs. I have read and followed "ISY Portal Amazon Echo Integration V3" instructions numerous times. When I get to "Instructions To Configure Alexa Devices In ISY Portal" step 6 " Choose your ISY device/scene/program/state variable " there are no 'Alexa Devices' there, just the 'X-10' devices I defined earlier. Any help, direction or even a guess would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Bob Helms

@BobHelms Did you click on the Refresh icon at top right in the Alexa page to bring all the ISY elements into the app?
Also you cannot setup Alexa in the Windows browser Alexa app.

The ISY Portal will only show ISY devices not Alexa devices. The Alexa input to it is your voice commands only.

On 6/6/2019 at 11:41 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

@BobHelms,

1. All instructions are listed here: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Portal_Amazon_Echo_Integration_V3#Instructions_for_New_Users 

2. You are always welcome to contact our support for help

With kind regards,
Michel

Hi Michael,

I just sent it all back to Amazon, needs to cook a little more, not quite ready to serve yet. I'll live with my existing X-10 devices for the time being, they always work. Thanks for your help.

Bob Helms

3 hours ago, BobHelms said:

Hi Michael,

I just sent it all back to Amazon, needs to cook a little more, not quite ready to serve yet. I'll live with my existing X-10 devices for the time being, they always work. Thanks for your help.

Bob Helms

That's vey unfortunate. My Alexa and GH boxes all work with anything I connect to my ISY, including X10, Insteon, MiLight, LEDenet,  fluxNet, ecobee, Venstar, and my home made WC8 weather station. There seems to be some confusion. Alexa works with ISY. ISY then can control whatever it wants to, from there.

I'm sure that most of my problem is the fact that I want to run everything from Windows 10. I don't (for many reasons) want to run any of it from a smart phone. I know I'm in the minority and will just have to wait until the developers get around to making my platform work. As you probably already know you can run Alexa from Windows 10 but not all the necessary functions are available.

5 minutes ago, BobHelms said:

I'm sure that most of my problem is the fact that I want to run everything from Windows 10. I don't (for many reasons) want to run any of it from a smart phone. I know I'm in the minority and will just have to wait until the developers get around to making my platform work. As you probably already know you can run Alexa from Windows 10 but not all the necessary functions are available.

Windows 10 doesn't really stop you from connecting the isy and Alexa. Just a little time and patience.

Since you are using x10, you would have simply added your programs to the Alexa portal, gave them the name/spoken word, and added your portal account to your echo account. 

@BobHelms In an attempt to make this clearer and for you to understand how simple the process is (in the end)

Your voice -----> Alexa Echo --------> Alexa cloud server --------> ISY (cloud) Portal ---------> Your ISY program/device/scene/variable--------> X10/Insteon/Zwave/Ethernet device(s)

You would have to

• set up your ISY to control your X10 devices...I assume that is already done for your X10 devices
  • subscribe to the ISY Portal  bienially  
  • access ISY Portal with the URL they give you, using a browser
  • setup the ISY Portal translation table. ISY devices/scenes/programs etc. are all on pulldown lists. Each one needs to be assigned vocal phrase you want to use.
  • load the Alexa app into an Android or iPhone and tell the app your UDI account name and password
  • tell an Alexa box  'discover'. Your Alexa will come back ad tell you it discovered X many devices.

Windows 10 is not involved. A browser is needed to access the ISY Portal that is running on UDI servers. There is an Alexa webpage app that can be accessed via a browser but it doesn't offer all the features to set-up the Alexa features. (google hates everybody else?)

I wish you had asked more questions here. People here, would love to get you up and running.  It changes how cool your system will work. We hardly ever touch switches anymore and yet have options of dozens of colour lighting schemes and even reports our garage doors are open or closed.
Alexa is it's own system also. Much of it works without any ISY at all. Weather, events, distances, who played the lead part in movie XX, etc.. etc.. The Alexa app can also control many Ethernet based devices without ISY now. I avoid that but I feel that may have confusing your ideas  here.

The only feature that you lose with ALexa / ISY when configured by a Windows 10 browser are Alexa Routines. You only "need" the smart phone" to configure routines.

I live in Canada and integrated my Alexa(s) and ISY long before the Alexa app was available on phones here. With ISY, alexa.amazon.com, and the ISY Portal it was an easy setup to have Alexa turn on (run then) or turn off (run else) programs.

Archived