Home Assistant ISY Component

fasttimes

I am impressed with HA.  I opened the HA port on my router and now I can access HA away from my home. Is there a safer way to achieve this ?
I heard rumors that eventually ISY will move away from Java and then maybe the AC will be more practical to use.
Once the ISY interface is HTML based you will see every mother's son and his sister write code for another monitor screen with a favour of the week.
HTML code is easy to read, easy to hack, and easy to modify for millions of code monkeys out there. This will turn ISY into a semi open system and make it famous.

Sent using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, larryllix said:

HTML code is easy to read, easy to hack, and easy to modify for millions of code monkeys out there. This will turn ISY into a semi open system and make it famous.

I don't know how UDI is implementing the next generation U/I but I'm willing to bet that it won't be pure HTML/CSS. My money is on some kind of JavaScript framework, and most of those obfuscate & "minify" the JavaScript files as part of packaging. Good luck trying to hack those...

32 minutes ago, Mecheng70 said:

Openvpn or there are two other methods. 

https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/configuration/remote/

https://www.nabucasa.com/

Personally, I use duckdns and open just the 8123 port.

I have to read up about DNS as I am not really familiar with this. As I also use Mobilinc Pro for out-of-home access, I may just keep Home Assistant for within my home, and decide later.

30 minutes ago, jfai said:

I don't know how UDI is implementing the next generation U/I but I'm willing to bet that it won't be pure HTML/CSS. My money is on some kind of JavaScript framework, and most of those obfuscate & "minify" the JavaScript files as part of packaging. Good luck trying to hack those...

Yes, javascript inside a browser can be used to automate webpage looks and responses and can be made very cryptic. The fields available to the webpage designer will still be the same elements and available to all. The webpage designer decides how fancy to present them with or without js, but I doubt you ISY will be able make them necessary or will UDI want to. From what I have been told UDI wants the UI to be open-source basically as it will explode ISY's appeal to the world.

There aren't many webpage designers work with js anymore. Javascript and HTML5/CSS3 go hand in hand now as one language, basically. CSS3 can be cryptic also with hidden style files that can be semi-interactive.

I changed my mind and registered for HA Cloud and it works.

I am puzzled about my dimmer devices. These show up as in the attached picture but when I move the circle the lights or fans do not change to the % changed and showing in the HA App on my Iphone (*). However, clicking on the lamp icon in the middle of the circle does work for ON or OFF.

(*) What I mean is that moving the circle works in the App but it has no effect on the actual device in my home. Same if I change the % in the ISY AC, the change will not show in the HA App.

Anyone has an idea how to sort this out ?

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 3.13.45 PM.png

26 minutes ago, carealtor said:

@asbril

I don't use that card, but I added one just to test.  Works as expected on my laptop and android phone, but my phone connection is wifi.  I'm not using HA cloud, so my test isn't exactly apples to apples.

It also works on my pc's, just not in the Iphone App, even when connected locally (wifi).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Has anyone figured out how to add blinds to HA using the ISY integration custom devices procedure. The part that I'm having difficulty is the ISY program side to control a varying variable. I would like to keep the programing on the ISY side. I have this working but on the HA side. I'm using IBlinds motor which is read by HA as a light entity. I convert this into a cover entity using the cover template and this works fine. This is than passed on to HomeKit which works as well.  I was just curious how I would go about programing this on the ISY side.    

I did forget to mention that having a combination of ISY and HA gives you so much flexibility to make your head spin. After Shbatim made changes to HA which is in the core code now you can just about do anything Insteon and Zwave. It just takes time to figure out which way to implement you custom automation. Personally, I like using the ISY for its reliability. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to set up a wall mounted tablet for home control... ie to communicate with my ISY, and other apps with a pleasing tile like interface.  It appears "Home Assistant" might be an app that can do that... but I dont really have any advanced programing skills.  Is this doable for a novice?  I am stuck at the first screen entering HomeAssistant URL... I don't need to access anything outside of my home wifi network.  Am I potentially in way over my head?

6 minutes ago, arf1410 said:

for now, just an old android phone, that is WiFi only... though the eventual plan is a wall mounted tablet

I think what you're missing is you have to have a computer running HA. So you need to have either an RPI or an old server that can run HA on it.  The app you have is an interface too HA on a computer.

6 minutes ago, arf1410 said:

You are correct - Novice here!  Any suggestions for what sort of "attractive" and simple interface (tiles, etc) that could be used on a wall mounted android tablet that would allow me to control my ISY (or Agave) , along with possible other web based controllers ?

You can use agave as it interfaces directly with the ISY.  It has a way of creating favorites and that can be your tablet view.  

If you want to integrate other non ISY components, then the HA is a good way to go. 

There may be a solution that is less technical and more of a turn-key solution.  I have zero experience with it but the HA people at Naba Casa came out with a computer (like the ISY) that has the software pre-installed.

Here is the address for it: https://www.home-assistant.io/blue/. It is $140 and can integration with ISY, Eufy, Ring and other devices.  They also have a monthly subscription if you need it to access the HA from outside your house.   Most people can configure it by themselves, but if you don't have the knowledge, this can be one way.

Hi, i am new to HASS, just got the ISY integration working, trying to use the 'ignore string' to filter out devices in the ISY.  For now trying to filter zwave devices.  I have tried ZW {ZW} and {"ZW"} but none of these seems to filter out devices with ZW in their names.  

Any ideas what i am doing wrong?

As far as I know just putting ZW (no quotes or anything) should work, assuming ZW is in the name, and it sounds like it is.

My situation is that i just wanted to filter out all the NodeServer nodes.  So I have all my NodeServers in a single folder, called NodeServer (clever, huh!).  So I just have NodeServer in the Ignore String field.

The only thing I can think of that might have happened is that the ZW devices were added to HA before adding the Ignore String was filled in and now they aren't automatically removed.

Now that I think about it, I had a problem with this too.  I had use the manual "old way" of integrating the ISY first, by manually adding the yaml code, including the ignore string, in the config file.  Then I used the UI method, and then deleted the yaml from the config file.  Clear as mud?

On 12/24/2020 at 6:17 PM, carealtor said:

Clear as mud?

Yes.  I had got it working and was confused on my new HA node why it wasn't.

In the 10 million things I did and forgot to write down i think at one point yes i made the filter before i added anything and i recall doing the yaml at one point.  Will go play. 

I managed to get both ISY Zwave and new hass openzwave method all working together on the same z-wave network, not sure if thats best way to go or just have one unit do z-wave .... any opinions (I have waay more insteon than z-wave so the ISY isn't going anywhere and i don't like the amoun haas charges for alexa integration, the ISY integration has always worked really well) .

Thanks for taking the time to think through the filtering, appreciate it.

(oh BTW i kind of like some of my nodeservers make it through to HAAS too...)

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Scyto said:

Another question, I can’t get state changes on Insteon devices to show in home assistant.

I monitored isy994_control in the dev tools listener on HA. I see events from node servers but not from any Insteon devices. Any ideas?

I never looked at this before, all my Insteon devices update as expected in the UI and I haven't done much as far as programming in HA (I primarily use it for a glorified frontend and to interface with a few things that Isy node servers don't do well).

However, I looked at the Dev Tools and listened for isy994_control events.  What I noticed was that if I controlled the Insteon device either through the HA UI or through the Isy admin interface, no events showed up.  But, if I manually controlled the device, I saw the event.

2 hours ago, Screw Loose Dan said:

However, I looked at the Dev Tools and listened for isy994_control events.  What I noticed was that if I controlled the Insteon device either through the HA UI or through the Isy admin interface, no events showed up.  But, if I manually controlled the device, I saw the event.

I just tried this too and can confirm that my setup is behaving the same.  I also never noticed before.

Archived