What can Polisy do?

stealle

45 minutes ago, Samedarkclouds said:

Ok, But I bought the physical polisy unit because they advertised it as being able to do just that, tinker with and add your own bits "with ease" and now it turns out that all I got was like 4 more poly's in the store than if iI had just kept using the virtual one.... Complete waste. I mean, why are their Git's for the thing if they cant be installed? Who's making git's that have no way to install? Its all nonsense.

Its not nonsense. Its you not taking the time to research and understand exactly what you were purchasing. NOWHERE does it say download stuff from github or anywhere you want. The product webpage even goes so far to show a partial picture of the store as well as mentioning the store. Polisy was designed for use with UDI's nodeserver store. UDI didnt advertise it as a do as you please device (Thats what an Rpi is for). They advertised it as a way to integrate 3rd party devices with the ISY via their polyglot store which offers plenty of free nodeservers (for now).

By downloading it from their store vs direct from Github, they can ensure compatibility with the ISY and some modicum of quality control. After-all, its them that people will be calling when something doesnt work....Not github. No different than with Apple and their app store. Besides that, its the same nodeserver. Why are you making such a big deal about literally hitting a button. Even if you could do it straight from github, most likely it would take more work than a single button click. You're complaining about a mundane task. Thats like complaining about not being able to sideload an app that you can readily get from any app store.

If you're looking for something you can do your own thing with the Rpi is the way to go. UDI does offer a no questions asked money back guarantee. You're more than welcome to return yours if you please. Keep in mind, Rpi will no longer be able to access the polyglot store in the near future so it will be up to you to figure out how to make it work.

@lilyoyo1 and @asbril, thank you.

@Samedarkclouds, you can do whatever you want with Polisy. You can install node servers that are not in the store. You can develop node servers on Polisy. You can also add your own node servers to the store for others to use. So, it's a little disheartening to see rush to judgement. And, if you want to be part of ISY Developer team, you can sign up here.

With kind regards,
Michel

On 10/13/2020 at 11:39 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

@lilyoyo1 and @asbril, thank you.

@Samedarkclouds, you can do whatever you want with Polisy. You can install node servers that are not in the store. You can develop node servers on Polisy. You can also add your own node servers to the store for others to use. So, it's a little disheartening to see rush to judgement. And, if you want to be part of ISY Developer team, you can sign up here.

With kind regards,
Michel

Jesus Christ.... NOW your saying this, but your responding to MY responses to people telling me that all unneeded to do was download from the store! I literally said that what was frustrating was that each comment pointed toward the conclusion that it could not be done, and that I just needed to use the store. My saying “why would the site say....!” was directed at them. I was making the argument that their lack of acknowledging the capability when it obviously WAS possible was frustrating, and that the existence of those polys on git meant that their answer wasn’t making contact with my question at all.

now your saying that my position was that it couldn’t be done? WTF. No one can follow a plot. It’s insane.

Me: how do you get stuff on the polisy?

collective: the store

me: no I mean other than the store

me: there’s got to be a way to get stuff not in the store

collective: wait for it to get in the store or vague reference to being a developer with no useable info. 

me: ((ignoring the vague developer mention and focusing on the continued references to the store and some flat out denial that what I’m saying is a thing.)) I know about the store... Jesus, why would the site say these things or the Gita be available if it can’t be done

You: I can be done, why don’t you listen better.

Insane. Insane. I know it can be done. That’s my whole point in the face of just being referenced to the store no matter how specific I am. 

Garbage. This has been garbage.

1 minute ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@Samedarkclouds,

The post you are referring to is from 3 days ago BUT you never read it and started another thread complaining about the same thing.

With kind regards,
Michel

I have complained about nothing except people answering the question with "Use the store"... You are not one of those people. My position is that it all IS possible, and so now I am complaining about your complaint that I was saying it was not.

The insanity just doesn't end.

21 minutes ago, Samedarkclouds said:

Jesus Christ.... NOW your saying this, but your responding to MY responses to people telling me that all unneeded to do was download from the store! I literally said that what was frustrating was that each comment pointed toward the conclusion that it could not be done, and that I just needed to use the store. My saying “why would the site say....!” was directed at them. I was making the argument that their lack of acknowledging the capability when it obviously WAS possible was frustrating, and that the existence of those polys on git meant that their answer wasn’t making contact with my question at all.

now your saying that my position was that it couldn’t be done? WTF. No one can follow a plot. It’s insane.

Me: how do you get stuff on the polisy?

me: no I mean other than the store

me: there’s got to be a way to get stuff not in the store

collective: wait for it to get in the store or vague reference to being a developer with no useable info. 

me: ((ignoring the vague developer mention and focusing on the continued references to the store and some flat out denial that what I’m saying is a thing.)) I know about the store... Jesus, why would the site say these things or the Gita be available if it can’t be done

You: I can be done, why don’t you listen better.

Insane. Insane. I know it can be done. That’s my whole point in the face of just being referenced to the store no matter how specific I am. 

Garbage. This has been garbage.

People push you towards the store because that is the easiest way to accomplish what you are trying to do. Those well versed with using SSH, sudo, etc. are able to do things that normal users are unable to do. If you understand SSH, sudo, coding, etc. well enough, you probably wouldn't be on here carrying on the way that you are. Most aren't going to take the time to walk you through what's needed when there are much easier and direct ways to accomplish the same task that your going around robinhood barnyard to do. After all these days going back and forth (based off the 1 nodeserver you mentioned) you could've already had it on your Polisy and using it. 

Just send it it back if it's so much garbage. At this point, the likelihood of anyone wanting to help you even with my same stuff is probably nill (except UDI since they have to).

Just now, lilyoyo1 said:

People push you towards the store because that is the easiest way to accomplish what you are trying to do. Those well versed with using SSH, sudo, etc. are able to do things that normal users are unable to do. If you understand SSH, sudo, coding, etc. well enough, you probably wouldn't be on here carrying on the way that you are. Most aren't going to take the time to walk you through what's needed when there are much easier and direct ways to accomplish the same task that your going around robinhood barnyard to do. After all these days going back and forth (based off the 1 nodeserver you mentioned) you could've already had it on your Polisy and using it. 

Just send it it back if it's so much garbage. At this point, the likelihood of anyone wanting to help you even with my same stuff is probably nill (except UDI since they have to).

Sigh. 

1: those directing me to the store obviously were unaware that what I was saying was even a thing. 

2: Your response is the only one that contained any information of any usable kind, short of a developer link, so that appreciated even given the context.

3: I get the walled garden thing, you either know it all or not at all and don't bother... that seems like a pretty shitty attitude to take. Why are those sorts on forums int he first place? Even if a structured answer fundamentally said "its not for you you don't know enough" at least that would be structured answer. This doesn't apply to anyone, as no one took either tack... instead they...

4: Misread the string as my complaining about the tech, and reacted like admonishing head mistressess.

5: I never critiqued the tech... I was saying "why would they advertise.... act" as a response to people seemingly acting as if what I was saying couldn't be done, or that the answer to my issue was the store. I was defending the fact that the tech WAS capable, and that THEIR ANSWERS around the store were wrong, and "why would they have the hardware, or advertising, or gits if it wasn't true" as an agreement that IT MUST BE TRUE... not the other way around.

This experience has assured me that the world is completely doomed. Just bafflingly obtuse and intentionally complicated.

13 minutes ago, Samedarkclouds said:

Sigh. 

1: those directing me to the store obviously were unaware that what I was saying was even a thing. 

2: Your response is the only one that contained any information of any usable kind, short of a developer link, so that appreciated even given the context.

3: I get the walled garden thing, you either know it all or not at all and don't bother... that seems like a pretty shitty attitude to take. Why are those sorts on forums int he first place? Even if a structured answer fundamentally said "its not for you you don't know enough" at least that would be structured answer. This doesn't apply to anyone, as no one took either tack... instead they...

4: Misread the string as my complaining about the tech, and reacted like admonishing head mistressess.

5: I never critiqued the tech... I was saying "why would they advertise.... act" as a response to people seemingly acting as if what I was saying couldn't be done, or that the answer to my issue was the store. I was defending the fact that the tech WAS capable, and that THEIR ANSWERS around the store were wrong, and "why would they have the hardware, or advertising, or gits if it wasn't true" as an agreement that IT MUST BE TRUE... not the other way around.

This experience has assured me that the world is completely doomed. Just bafflingly obtuse and intentionally complicated.

Relax! You need to take a step back and cool your jets a bit perhaps. Maybe re-read your threads and look for alternate meanings. This happens occasionally in text only environments.

People on this forum are very helpful and want to help you, but you may be new and not as familiar with expressing yourself in their language, of the ISY forum. :):) You are not the only one this happens to.

You will learn to slow down and not react quite so volatile, as you have been, and things will be fine for all involved. You will be a happier camper, in the end. You will get through this. I find it is usually my own wording that has been misunderstood as many come from different cultures of English and technology. COVID-19 has been a bitch and can sneak up on us too with stress responses.

Welcome to the forums! I hope this becomes an obsession for you as it has for so many other people that love to help others and are emphatuated with the little ISY box!! It's a great hobby and an powerful tool.

32 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@Samedarkclouds,

The post you are referring to is from 3 days ago BUT you never read it and started another thread complaining about the same thing.

With kind regards,
Michel

This is true. I didn't see the response. It was not unhelpful. But again, my critiques were not of the tech. Just the opposite. I was saying "why would UD have hardware and advertise" or "why would there be gits" as an agreement for why IT MUST BE POSSIBLE.... Aimed at people that were either flat out saying it wasn't or just directing me to the store.... 

That said, as I have yet to critique the tech our UD, let me start now why I have your ear...

I get it may be an advanced machine meant not for the likes of me, but now that you mention it, it was pretty much sold with he concept of ease of use. I mean, I used the serve side and the store without difficulty so I am not completely ignorant fo the thing, and taught the hardware because it appeared to promise at least minimal access with relative ease to more than the store did. (note why the store continually be thrown at me as a solution is frustratingly circuitous.)

As it turns out, there is very little more available with he hardware, and anything beyond that requires, I come to find out here, a notable amount of "not ease." And real documentation or guides are a thing no one has apparently invented yet.

Add to that the fact that the forum has presented me with three distinct avatars with various names. 1: those that have no idea what they are talking about (which at times I include myself) who just keep replying "go to the store" 2: People who flat out state that the complication level is too much to bother talking to a "nube" about, making the concept of a forum silly unless its the same 10 people just holding court (which seems apparent upon perusal. and 3: Mods or VIP's that may or may not follow the plot, but hop all over erudite opportunities to miss the plot enough to excuse not really answering anything beyond a generic google search. 

I own 3 ISY's, and have been using them for years. Love it. Polisy sounded great. Maybe it is... apparently there are only a few people allowed to know.

5 minutes ago, Samedarkclouds said:

Sigh. 

When you come across the way you did, you'll automatically have people gunning for you. It's just like arguing with someone. If someone comes taking jabs at you from the start, you'll do the same back. 

In this case you took jabs at UDI in your approach so those who know different automatically took UDIs side. 

I know I help people based off the knowledge that they show they have and how something was designed. If you don't know how to SSH into something, run the commands, etc. why reinvent the wheel, with having you do something when there are much easier alternatives. 

Maybe you have the knowledge but how are we to know? Those that do already take advantage of that without coming on to forums carrying on as you did. Because of that, our approach is to point you to the method that polisy is actually sold for and that is the avg consumer. Coders and developers are not avg or even above avg. They're in a league of their own. They already know there's limited help outside of specific people which is why they have their own place for stuff. Instead of bashing, simply asking for help would've gotten a much better response

1 minute ago, larryllix said:

Relax! You need to take a step back and cool your jets a bit perhaps. Maybe re-read your threads and look for alternate meanings. This happens occasionally in text only environments.

People on this forum are very helpful and want to help you, but you may be new and not as familiar with expressing yourself in their language, of the ISY forum. :):) You are not the only one this happens to.

You will learn to slow down and not react quite so volatile, as you have been, and things will be fine for all involved. You will be a happier camper, in the end. You will get through this. I find it is usually my own wording that has been misunderstood as many come from different cultures of English and technology. COVID-19 has been a bitch and can sneak up on us too with stress responses.

Welcome to the forums! I hope this becomes an obsession for you as it has for so many other people that love to help others and are emphatuated with the little ISY box!! It's a great hobby and an powerful tool.

I appreciate your sentiment. A good egg you are.

2 minutes ago, Samedarkclouds said:

I appreciate your sentiment. A good egg you are.

I like mine scrambled,,,just like most of us are now! :):)

The NS store is a new thing and people are excited about how easy it is to install new NS for trial.

Keep working at it. It will become clearer to you and others for better answers.

1 minute ago, lilyoyo1 said:

When you come across the way you did, you'll automatically have people gunning for you. It's just like arguing with someone. If someone comes taking jabs at you from the start, you'll do the same back. 

In this case you took jabs at UDI in your approach so those who know different automatically took UDIs side. 

I know I help people based off the knowledge that they show they have and how something was designed. If you don't know how to SSH into something, run the commands, etc. why reinvent the wheel, with having you do something when there are much easier alternatives. 

Maybe you have the knowledge but how are we to know? Those that do already take advantage of that without coming on to forums carrying on as you did. Because of that, our approach is to point you to the method that polisy is actually sold for and that is the avg consumer. Coders and developers are not avg or even above avg. They're in a league of their own. They already know there's limited help outside of specific people which is why they have their own place for stuff. Instead of bashing, simply asking for help would've gotten a much better response

I am with you... but this narrative that I took jabs is the issue. Its a misreading of the plot. I took no jabs at the tech or UD. I was using a counter argument for why peoples answers where not actually answers by asking "why would X be said if it wasn't true" meaning it was true and they were mistaken... not as a statement that they were untrue.

Its just silly what's happened here.

36 minutes ago, Samedarkclouds said:

This is true. I didn't see the response. It was not unhelpful. But again, my critiques were not of the tech. Just the opposite. I was saying "why would UD have hardware and advertise" or "why would there be gits" as an agreement for why IT MUST BE POSSIBLE.... Aimed at people that were either flat out saying it wasn't or just directing me to the store.... 

That said, as I have yet to critique the tech our UD, let me start now why I have your ear...

I get it may be an advanced machine meant not for the likes of me, but now that you mention it, it was pretty much sold with he concept of ease of use. I mean, I used the serve side and the store without difficulty so I am not completely ignorant fo the thing, and taught the hardware because it appeared to promise at least minimal access with relative ease to more than the store did. (note why the store continually be thrown at me as a solution is frustratingly circuitous.)

As it turns out, there is very little more available with he hardware, and anything beyond that requires, I come to find out here, a notable amount of "not ease." And real documentation or guides are a thing no one has apparently invented yet.

Add to that the fact that the forum has presented me with three distinct avatars with various names. 1: those that have no idea what they are talking about (which at times I include myself) who just keep replying "go to the store" 2: People who flat out state that the complication level is too much to bother talking to a "nube" about, making the concept of a forum silly unless its the same 10 people just holding court (which seems apparent upon perusal. and 3: Mods or VIP's that may or may not follow the plot, but hop all over erudite opportunities to miss the plot enough to excuse not really answering anything beyond a generic google search. 

I own 3 ISY's, and have been using them for years. Love it. Polisy sounded great. Maybe it is... apparently there are only a few people allowed to know.

Polisy is for multiple types of people. Those with certain knowledge can and do the more advanced stuff. Ease of use is relative. As a developer (or person with knowledge) going outside the store and configuring things for personal use is much easier. If you don't understand the commands, then someone will be on here telling you each step of the way what to do. When something doesn't work, it's them having to take the time to figure out what's wrong and walk you through it. 

For everyone else there is the store. People (including myself) push towards there because anything else means being your own person tech support person afterwards. While you may not like it or want something different than what the store offers; that's the level you seem to be on which is why you're pointed to there. 

If something goes wrong when using the store you have 50 people that can help. Something goes wrong  by bypassing the store, you have 5 (not literally) available. Mostly likely only 1 will be available and then he's stuck with you. That means time away from doing stuff with family/friends or whatever else they want to do.

Same with UDI. They recommend the developer and store based on knowledge. There is a minimal expectation of knowledge and skill when it comes to developers. If they have to take time to walk you through every step, they've lost time and money. This affects their business. The store on the other hand is much easier. Unfortunately It's the nature of the beast. 

• 6 months later...

I manage my Son's ISY and can easily access his  ISY by adding his uuid to my ISY launcher, but sometimes I need access to his Polisy to update or restart a nodeserver.

I believe that when ISY will ultimately move to Polisy, remote access will be possible. However I am wondering if it would already be possible by opening the port assigned to the Polisy.

• 1 month later...

I am currently out of town ant would like to access my Polisy but realized that I did not open the relevant port on my router. With my Google Wifi router I can access and configure the port settings remotely, but I saw that no Port shows for Polisy, only the 192.168.XX.XXX.

Does anyone know how to find the Polisy Port, so that I can open it ?

I

4 hours ago, MrBill said:

The default port for polyglot on polisy is 443.  Should be that unless you changed it.

I was able to open port 443 and checked that it is indeed open, but when entering my home IP http://XXX.XXX.XX.XX:443, it does not work. I will have the check, when I am back home, if the port was changed, though I doubt it.

Archived