ISY Notifications

jgcharlotte

Back to the same old crap.  Did fine for a day, no DNS errors anyway.  Now today they started showing up again. Still using 8.8.8.8 and 9.9.9.9  Along with another one that is not even in the list:  170001.
This is nuts.

image.png.0ee888d510da94d6b51b7a2ffa1a856d.png

I would likely, at this point, restore your original DHCP for your ISP. I don't think that resolved it.
However I would look for a new power supply for your ISY, in your spare parts box, and try that.

Is your ISY in a restricted air space, making it overheat? I have had two routers go berserk on me in the summer heat, even in an A/C house.

On 10/10/2019 at 6:55 PM, larryllix said:

I would likely, at this point, restore your original DHCP for your ISP. I don't think that resolved it.
However I would look for a new power supply for your ISY, in your spare parts box, and try that.

Is your ISY in a restricted air space, making it overheat? I have had two routers go berserk on me in the summer heat, even in an A/C house.

Wow, @larryllix sorry I didn't reply earlier, I don't recall getting an email that there is a response.

I have all of my network stuff in a closet under the stairs.  Modem, router, switch. As well as NVR for my CC camera system (with a monitor that is on 24/7) and router for my security company cameras.  And of course the ISY.  So that is a lot of stuff and it does get warm in there.

And yesterday I got this stuff.  Maybe just my broadband dropping out, I don't know.

image.png.f82c0872ba0738cb8d8792c5c1f20a56.png

I will definitely look at getting things cooled down and I'm sure I can come up with a new P.S. for the ISY.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, jgcharlotte said:

Wow, @larryllix sorry I didn't reply earlier, I don't recall getting an email that there is a response.

I have all of my network stuff in a closet under the stairs.  Modem, router, switch. As well as NVR for my CC camera system (with a monitor that is on 24/7) and router for my security company cameras.  And of course the ISY.  So that is a lot of stuff and it does get warm in there.

And yesterday I got this stuff.  Maybe just my broadband dropping out, I don't know.

image.png.f82c0872ba0738cb8d8792c5c1f20a56.png

I will definitely look at getting things cooled down and I'm sure I can come up with a new P.S. for the ISY.

Thanks!

My routers would act up at 44c measured by a CAO Tag placed on top of the plastic router case, both my Netgear and Asus units..  Opening the door to the cabinet and waving the router around somewhat or blowing into the case would make the problems disappear, every time. Both my AC1900 routers are mounted vertically now, and  the antenna output powers turned back.  WiFi range increased dramatically after lowering the power output. 

Before lowering the transmit levels, my wife's iPad (very poor WiFi) would work no further than 15 feet from the router on 5Ghz. After the adjustment down, it was good almost anywhere in the house on 5GHz.

12 hours ago, larryllix said:

Before lowering the transmit levels, my wife's iPad (very poor WiFi) would work no further than 15 feet from the router on 5Ghz. After the adjustment down, it was good almost anywhere in the house on 5GHz.

Seems rather counter-intuitive!

I put a wireless thermostat in that closet just measuring ambient away from any active devices.  It's up to 84 now.  This closet shares a wall with the garage, which right now is only 78.  The wall is insulated, but still . . . 
When a car gets parked in there it gets up to over 100 in warmer weather. 

• 9 months later...
On 8/5/2019 at 1:25 PM, Geddy said:

If you're using Gmail make sure you've set up and using an app specific password if you're using two-factor authentication. 

Also, check that your from actually includes an email. It might fail some server relay functions.   First-Name Last-Name:Email-address (don't forget the colon between last-name and email!!!) I actually added " - ISY" following my last name so I can create filters on the send and receive side.

I've always used Gmail with my ISY to send my notifications and get every single one I test within seconds of the trigger. I send from Gmail and receive at Outlook. 

Of course sending from free email services can always change, but I've found it to be reliable and easy once setup. I used to try to send notifications from another system from a hosted personal domain I managed. However, the host (i.e. godaddy or bluehost) was always changing something in the server filters to block automated and timed messages. It never failed if they found a pattern they would seem to block them from going out. That was a lot more frustrating then the ease of using Google's SMTP setup.

I am wondering if Gmail relay is still working for you.   Just noticed that mine stopped.  Not sure for how long.

Google error:   Sign-in attempt was blocked.     from a non-Google app.

I have third-party access for other systems, like  Synology DSM Notification.    Not sure if there is something similar for UD devices.

1 hour ago, Dunty said:

I am wondering if Gmail relay is still working for you.   Just noticed that mine stopped.  Not sure for how long.

I have third-party access for other systems, like  Synology DSM Notification.    Not sure if there is something similar for UD devices.

Google has become very undependable for almost everything these days. Every time google decides to change their security they do not advise of security changes and this is what you get. Then you think it is something you did.

Many companies, including UDI,  do not use the same name behind the scenes. This causes the user to not accept the sign-on from some name they do not recognise. If you ever reject any security check...good luck ever getting it back.

I gave up on google randomly failing me, a few years ago. Now  I use the generic email server, but I have developed a few notifications that just stopped working, about 4 months back. The rest of my notifications still work so I haven't tracked that one down yet. Same ISY, same IP address, same server, same message as before????

I have the same exact issue, Firmware and UI are same.  Email settings good.  Will try increasing the timeout.

Text is especially bad, sometimes hours late or no delivery at all.  I setup a daily email and txt test at 8:00 every morning to follow timing or no receipt.  Using gmail for ISY and Comcast for ELK.

John

1 hour ago, JSchumann said:

I have the same exact issue, Firmware and UI are same.  Email settings good.  Will try increasing the timeout.

Text is especially bad, sometimes hours late or no delivery at all.  I setup a daily email and txt test at 8:00 every morning to follow timing or no receipt.  Using gmail for ISY and Comcast for ELK.

John

Strange that is the same time (8:00 AM)  my MIA daily report of HVAC setback status was being sent.

22 hours ago, Dunty said:

Working just fine for me. Haven't had (many) errors since setting this up about 3 years ago. The only time I had a problem was self induced when checking the settings to help setup another ISY device. Fixed that right away and didn't have long term problems. 

I have Gmail sending the alerts going to Outlook.com and haven't seen a problem. I only have about 5 notifications a day so it's not being overly abused by sending automatic messages. Perhaps a higher count of auto generated emails would begin to trigger spam/abuse from the host (Gmail) or the receiver (Outlook.com for me). I always wanted to avoid sending from/to Gmail for just that reason. I know at one point they were blocking auto generated and identical messages if they happened too often in an hour or day period so I have always sent them to a non-Gmail account so it wouldn't be so risky. 

I'm using 4.8, but I wouldn't expect that 5.x would handle email setup much different.

2 hours ago, JSchumann said:

John

I use Comcast for ISY.  Originally it was just sending to the AT&T MMS gateway, but there were too many late or disappearing messages.  First I added a time stamp as an attempt to track that.  Eventually I downloaded Xfinity Connect app on my phone, and configured it to the same email address the ISY sends 'from'.  Then I added that address to the 'to' of the emails being sent.  Xfinity Connect is really just a simple email client that I wasn't actually using with my human based comcast email.  Later I tried to eliminate using email and move notifications over to Pushover, which is more reliable but still not perfect.  Also the * wildcard for node name doesn't work with network resources. 

In the end, I use all.  Most messages go ISY to my phone via 2 routes and I get 3 notifications total.  It's not all bad because usually there are only a few a day, and there is redundancy so none get completely missed.  

to recap: the ISY smtp is configured to send FROM example@comcast.net. notifications are sent TO "10digitNum@mms.att.net, example@comcast.net" and then sent again via Pushover.  On a good day I see 3 notifications at about the same moment on my phone.  Sometimes the AT&T version gets delayed or lost, can't do anything about that.  Sometimes I notice the notification from the Xfinity Connect app is missing, that means that for whatever reason that app got logged out, so I log it back in.   Finally the Pushover version of the message is rarely missing but sometimes it is.... never figured out what to do about that, but in the case of for example "low battery" messages the Pushover version will be missing the node name, but that will arrive in the other forms of the message.  

I have been using Gmail for years.  I send both text and email for alarm messages.  I can say that 90% of the time the both arrive within seconds.  Sometimes one may be a minute later.  I attribute it to the "internet" which is not 100% dependable.  In my case I am not sure if it is Gmail or AT&T.  I sometimes see that Outlook struggles to retrieve email from both my Gmail and AT&T accounts.

Archived