Newbie - Keypad and X-10 switch on/off

Complete newbie question – my apologies in advance:  I have installed the 8 pad keypad to be used as a controller, i.e. I did not wire in a load/ light.  I am starting with virtually all X-10 devices except for two recently added Insteon switches.  I am trying to use keypad “E” to toggle X-10 switch (address A1) to turn light on when first pushed and off when pushed again.

I changed the name of the keypad to Control Panel. Using the X-10 module, I added the switch with X-10 address.  I changed the name of “E” on keypad to Nook and created the following program:

IF Control “control panel” Nook is switched off

Then Send X10  ‘A1/on (3)’

Else Send X10  ‘A1/off (11)’

Of course, this does not work or I wouldn't be writing...  I have downloaded all the various assistance documents, read them, and still just can't seem to get what I'm doing wrong.  Any help or direction to additional help videos, sites, etc. would be most appreciated

It depends on what "does not work" means. For undesired behavior, the two previous posters covered it

• Other thoughts
    • You don't have to involve the ISY in this scenario, unless you will be integrating other things- Program the keypad button with the X10 address of the X10 modules. If you want, you can set multiple x10 modules to that same address and it will turn them all on/off at the same time. When the key is pressed, the command is sent right to the x10 modules. Not involving the ISY will give you back a second or 2 of response time.

• Are you sure the x10 signal is making it to / from the PLM? The PLM is known to be a weaker transmitter than other x10 transceivers like the TW523 or ACT TI 103 controllers

Paul

I'll present my program for an 'old' X10 switch I still have installed to control my pool light. Perhaps this will help the OP. I don't remember why I did it this way, but it works ?. (Maybe it's overkill.)

First, I created a scene (I think to turn the 'D' keypad light on and off.) The scene is called 'Pool Light' and has the '6 Switch Unit - D' in it.

Then, I created the following Program:

Pool Light On - [ID 0029][Parent 0001][Not Enabled]

If
        '6 Switch Unit / 6 Switch Unit - D' is switched On
     Or '6 Switch Unit / 6 Switch Unit - D' Status is On

Then
        Send X10 'P1/On (3)'
        Wait  2 seconds
        Set 'Pool Light' On

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

As I said - it works for me.

By the way, the reason for the 'Or '6 Switch Unit / 6 Switch Unit - D' Status is On' is I can also control the pool light with a little portable Insteon keypad I keep in the shed near the pool. One of the switches on that controls the scene.

2 hours ago, Brian H said:

X10 support has been discontinued in most presently sold Insteon modules.

So using the KPL buttons to directly control an X10 device may no longer work.

The current manuals linked from smarthome for the dimmer (2334) and on/off (2478) Keypadlincs continue to document the feature

Sorry for the delayed response...  Just after I posted, I was called away...

Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me out.  I spent a couple of hours today instituting the programs as described but the X-10 light switch(s) would not respond.  I then wondered if somehow I messed up the kpl installation so put in the program as written above but changed the light switch to one of the Insteon switches I just installed and everything worked as expected.  I then moved an old x-10 plug in module to the same room as the ISY and the kpl and it would respond to the on command but not the off...  Bottom line, I need to move all my X-10 stuff over to Insteon and be done with it...

Again, thanks very much for the input, it is much appreciated

Some users with a mix of X10 and Insteon have reported. As more Insteon devices are added the X10 performance goes down. Probably the Insteon power line transmitter circuits can absorb X10 signals on the power lines.

If you have an X10 repeater-phase coupler. Some see the end of a Insteon power line message as an X10 one. Then try and sent the misread Insteon command back on the power lines as an X10 one. The only one I have seen that does not. Is an XTB-IIR. Passive types that do not repeat the X10 signals will also pass Insteon between the two incoming power  lines.

Archived