Keypad flashes after using switch next to it

I have one ganged next to another switch. I've had to "restore device" once or twice over the years. Its been there quite a while now and functions perfectly... the only anomaly is once or twice while sitting nearby, i saw the four center buttons (its an 8 key) flash once or twice in unison. The family hasn't reported that and I would have heard if it did. No idea what's going on. I have it for many years so i've just let it go.

1 minute ago, paulbates said:

The other possibility is that there is noise nearby. Any computers, tv, motor etc plugged in nearby? Wired on a GFIC?

What type of load is the keypad controlling, and the switch controlling

Paul

There is a TV on another wall in the same room.  The on/off switch controls a fan.  The dimmer keypad controls 4 can lights.

There is a possibility that the fan is creating significant line noise on power up and blocking insteon signals. This can "overwhelm" even the dual band functionality. As un-fun as this sounds, the diagnostic test to prove this is to disconnect the fan as a load and repeat the test... either turning the fan off by pull chain, etc if that's possible, or, removing the wire nut from the red wire and capping it during the test

Paul

5 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

There is a TV on another wall in the same room.  The on/off switch controls a fan.  The dimmer keypad controls 4 can lights.

1 minute ago, paulbates said:

There is a possibility that the fan is creating significant line noise on power up and blocking signals. This can "overwhelm" the dual band functionality. As un-fun as this sounds, the diagnostic test it to prove this is to disconnect the fan as a load and repeat the test... either turning the fan off by pull chain, etc if that's possible, or, removing the wire nut from the red wire

Paul

I could just turn off with the pull fan.  So once I do that, just use the keypad and see if it still flashes?  If it works, no need to try factory reset, correct?  What would be the remedy for that situation?

11 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

I could just turn off with the pull fan.  cool

So once I do that, just use the keypad and see if it still flashes? yes

If it works, no need to try factory reset, correct?  What would be the remedy for that situation? There are filters you can install. I've used a number of these for x10 and insteon.... from low voltage lighting to motor noise. You install it across the hot and neutral up in the fan housing. It won't hurt to follow the factory reset steps after its fixed, as excessive line noise can "confuse" insteon devices until reset, especially keypads

22 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Factory reset both switches. Do you exhibit the same behavior outside of the ISY? If not delete them from the isy and then re-add them to the isy. Does the behavior return? If it doesnt, it may be in the way you built your scene or programs

Hi. I factory reset both switches and still have the issue but it’s a little different. Now when I use the on/off switch, it turns off the keypad and the keypad flashes. Then when I turn off the on/off switch the keypad turns back on and both work normally until about six tries. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I know that you can set switchlincs to blink their leds with any Insteon traffic.  Not sure about keypads.  But if indeed kpl's can do that and you set it to do that at some point, then restoring the device may restore that setting.  I would try completely deleting the kpl from your ISY, factory reset it, then add it back in.  Hopefully your kpl doesn't have too much complicated as far as scenes and programs and stuff.

44 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

I know that you can set switchlincs to blink their leds with any Insteon traffic.  Not sure about keypads.  But if indeed kpl's can do that and you set it to do that at some point, then restoring the device may restore that setting.  I would try completely deleting the kpl from your ISY, factory reset it, then add it back in.  Hopefully your kpl doesn't have too much complicated as far as scenes and programs and stuff.

Thanks, but I never set them to blink. My issue now is that the on/off switches sometimes controls the keypad. 

1 minute ago, smarthome_newbie said:

Thanks, but I never set them to blink. My issue now is that the on/off switches sometimes controls the keypad. 

It may have been set inadvertently.  I just checked and the kpl has that option.  Click on your kpl and the click on the "options" button at the bottom of the screen.  Make sure "led on tx" is not checked.

If you have an issue with a switch controlling a switch when it shouldn't, you just need to delete the switch, factory reset, then re-install.  Somehow a bogus link is in there.  I suppose you could first check for an orphaned link, but factory reset/restore should get rid of those.  To check for orphaned link, click on "tools/diagnostics/show device links table".  Select your device and let it check all the links.  Then click "compare" to see how it compares to what should be there.

Archived