PLM's on sale for $29.99 USD

Bumbershoot

I also have the 47th week 2018 version others got.  That is basically 1 year old date of manufacture.  That seems like a while ago?  I don't know if maybe they were sitting on big inventory of them and so they ran the sale?  Or maybe they only run the line for these things once per year and do enough to last a year or more?  Obviously PLM volume will be a very small fraction of what the do in something like a switchlinc.  My guess is they sell more than 100 switchlincs for every PLM.

The photos posted. Show Fujcon brand capacitors. That are also in previous versions. Can't see the series of them so maybe a different series is in use.  They where JK series in previous versions.

I had seen reports on Insteon related sites. That the serial port was having issues from some setups.

Could be a new component bsing used that is  not obvious when looking. Like an updated component.

When mine gets here next Tuesday. I will add to my looking. To check and see if the PCB has a new part number and the board plated through hole spacing for C7 and C13.

The older ones sill have the same room and hole spacing for the original 10uF/35V ones.

Had a chance to compare a V2.5 with a V2.4 and V2.3

V2.5 and V2.4 have an updated Main PC Board and Daughter Board.
It does look like C7 and C13 could fit the hole pattern on the board but maybe too tall.
So they are parallel to the board and held with component glue.
Daughter Board has the RS232 Chip with better ESD specifications and Serial Line protective parts.

V2.3 has the older serial daughter board with the later RS232 chip.

V2.3, V2.4 and V2.5 Have a Fujicon TY series C7 and C13.
The TY series sheet. Indicates it is High Frequency, High Ripple and Low Impedance type.

Fujicon RK series where in the older revisions. RK seem to be more of a General Purpose type.

9E is still the firmware as pointed out.

1 hour ago, Brian H said:

It does look like C7 and C13 could fit the hole pattern on the board but maybe too tall.
Daughter Board has the RS232 Chip with better ESD specifications and Serial Line protective parts.

The TY series sheet. Indicates it is High Frequency, High Ripple and Low Impedance type.

Fujicon RK series where in the older revisions. RK seem to be more of a General Purpose type.

Brian

Thank you and interesting.  I wasn't sure if this comment meant V2.5 only:

1 hour ago, Brian H said:

I have a 2.4 and a 2.5 and it sounds like, based on your analysis, that there is not a difference between the 2 from a HW durability perspective? I realize this is theorizing a bit, but wondered what you thoughts are on the practical differences between 2.4 & 2.5

Paul

4 hours ago, Brian H said:

Many thanks for the research. Any idea what the difference is between 2.4 and 2.5?

Not sure what is different between the 2413S V2.4 and V2.5. Could be a surface mount part or maybe the Firmware for the RF section as it has its own controller. That I have not seen a easy way to find out. Without reading the small sticker on it. 

From what I saw on the Insteon Forum. There was no V2.4 for the 2413U USB version. Jumped from V2.3 to V2.5.

Could be production parts tolerances. The V2.5 did have a slightly stronger RF output on my low end RF Explorer Spectrum Analyzer, or the RF controllers firmware maybe changed.

Sorry for the confusion. The V2.3 has the older serial board with the updated RS232 Chip and TY series capacitors. The V2.4 and V2.5 have the later designed serial board  with the updated RS232 chip and protection network on the serial I/O lines and later main board.

3 hours ago, Brian H said:

Not sure what is different between the 2413S V2.4 and V2.5. Could be a surface mount part or maybe the Firmware for the RF section as it has its own controller. That I have not seen a easy way to find out. Without reading the small sticker on it. 

From what I saw on the Insteon Forum. There was no V2.4 for the 2413U USB version. Jumped from V2.3 to V2.5.

Could be production parts tolerances. The V2.5 did have a slightly stronger RF output on my low end RF Explorer Spectrum Analyzer, or the RF controllers firmware maybe changed.

Sorry for the confusion. The V2.3 has the older serial board with the updated RS232 Chip and TY series capacitors. The V2.4 and V2.5 have the later designed serial board  with the updated RS232 chip and protection network on the serial I/O lines and later main board.

Thanks Brian, that's greatly appreciated.

Paul

Archived