Ademco 20P keypad issue

Chris Hall

I have an Ademco 20P that I installed myself. I have added several keypads without any issue. I added a keypad in our bedroom hall and can't get it to work. It will display a ready light when the system is ready and it will show an arm light. The readout on the screen is correct. If a door is open it shows the correct zone. The issue is that when you power the keypad up, you can hit a few keys and then they stop beeping. It will not allow any input. I have swapped it with a keypad from another part of the house. The issue has something to do with the wire, not the keypad and not with any kind of programming issue. When I swapped keypads, the issue stayed at the location.

So thinking the issue had something to do with the wire, I switched pairs. It's a Cat5 cable so I have 4 extra. I changed to different pairs for the data in and out and had the same result. I swapped the data in and out and the keypad didn't display anything. I put them back and the display is right but still can't use the keypad. I tried doubled up some of the wires so I have two positive and two negative. I haven't tried that with the data wires yet.

Has anyone experienced this that could give me some guidance. I worked in the alarm industry for about 7 years and never experienced anything like this.

7 hours ago, Chris Hall said:

I have an Ademco 20P that I installed myself. I have added several keypads without any issue. I added a keypad in our bedroom hall and can't get it to work. It will display a ready light when the system is ready and it will show an arm light. The readout on the screen is correct. If a door is open it shows the correct zone. The issue is that when you power the keypad up, you can hit a few keys and then they stop beeping. It will not allow any input. I have swapped it with a keypad from another part of the house. The issue has something to do with the wire, not the keypad and not with any kind of programming issue. When I swapped keypads, the issue stayed at the location.

So thinking the issue had something to do with the wire, I switched pairs. It's a Cat5 cable so I have 4 extra. I changed to different pairs for the data in and out and had the same result. I swapped the data in and out and the keypad didn't display anything. I put them back and the display is right but still can't use the keypad. I tried doubled up some of the wires so I have two positive and two negative. I haven't tried that with the data wires yet.

Has anyone experienced this that could give me some guidance. I worked in the alarm industry for about 7 years and never experienced anything like this.

Have you tried contacting Ademco?

I had an existing ademco keypad that started acting weird. My solution was to power down the panel, disconnecting battery and AC for a minute. Than quickly reassign keypad address. I believe you need to press 1 and 3 within 60 sec to do it after powering up. Addresses start at 16. Somehow the keypad forgot it's address. Make sure you don't have other keypads on the same address.Honeywell keypad

Archived