How to use pause a motion program for longer then timeout value.

66splitbus

Im trying to use a motion sensor for two purposes.

One is to turn the lights on and off using the timeout value of the sensor. Sensor is on lights go on, sensor is off lights are off.

The other use is for security. When I leave the house I push a button on a keypad to "arm" the house. If a motion sensor is triggered I get sent an email and text message. The problem is I dont want to get an email every 90 seconds when the sensor goes off and then back on again. I thought I could use a simple Wait command in the Then statement but that doesnt seem to work with motion. I then thought of changing the status of the keypad to off, then a Wait then back on again but I cant do that either. Any ideas?

This is basically what I want to do but the wait command doesnt work the way I thought it would.

Motion Email Alert Living Room - [ID 000C][Parent 0001]

If
        'Keypads / Entry Keypad H - Arm Motion A' Status is On
    And 'Motion / LivingRoom Motion' Status is On

Then
        Send Notification to 'Send Gmail' content 'Motion Alert'
        Send Notification to 'Send Text' content 'Motion Alert'
        Wait  30 minutes 

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

22 minutes ago, 66splitbus said:

Im trying to use a motion sensor for two purposes.

One is to turn the lights on and off using the timeout value of the sensor. Sensor is on lights go on, sensor is off lights are off.

The other use is for security. When I leave the house I push a button on a keypad to "arm" the house. If a motion sensor is triggered I get sent an email and text message. The problem is I dont want to get an email every 90 seconds when the sensor goes off and then back on again. I thought I could use a simple Wait command in the Then statement but that doesnt seem to work with motion. I then thought of changing the status of the keypad to off, then a Wait then back on again but I cant do that either. Any ideas?

This is basically what I want to do but the wait command doesnt work the way I thought it would.

Motion Email Alert Living Room - [ID 000C][Parent 0001]

If
        'Keypads / Entry Keypad H - Arm Motion A' Status is On
    And 'Motion / LivingRoom Motion' Status is On

Then
        Send Notification to 'Send Gmail' content 'Motion Alert'
        Send Notification to 'Send Text' content 'Motion Alert'
        Wait  30 minutes 

Else

The light I'm controlling here is in a scene with the motion sensor acting as a controller.  Set your motion sensor to "On" only and use a program like this:

Office Desk Off - [ID 0090][Parent 000A]

If
        'Devices / dirOffice / msOffice-Sensor' is switched On

Then
        Wait  5 minutes 
        Set 'Devices / dirOffice / lmpOfficeDeskLamp' Off

Else

The "Timeout" value isn't used when the "On commands only" value is checked (screenshot shows options for an original Insteon motion sensor).

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 4.22.53 PM.png

4 minutes ago, 66splitbus said:

Ahh interesting, Let me give this a shot!

Thank you for the reply.

These MSes are very unreliable and you will get false alarms when you are on the other side of the world and it will ruin your vacation. Headlight flashes can do it. Low batteries can do it.

I allow one false MS and then reset the timer after about 10 minutes. I get a notification only the first time and then repeat in 24 hours. However, if a second MS sees motion within a timeframe, I then trigger alarms including flashing every light in the house and outside, ringing the doorbell repeatedly, beeping three sonalerts on IOLinks, and having Alexa units speak warnings about Officials being notified.

Lol damn dude, thats hilarious and awesome! I like the idea of redundancy, I'll incorporate that as well... maybe Ill steal some of your alarm ideas as well!!

@Bumbershoot I gave that a shot but have a dumb question. What sets the motion sensor back to OFF? That doesnt seem to be something I can do with a Then Set Device.

I have the MS2 which doesnt have the on commands only option. Is that a problem?

image.thumb.png.12de9436b9ad4d341801210a6828887b.png

5 minutes ago, 66splitbus said:

Lol damn dude, thats hilarious and awesome! I like the idea of redundancy, I'll incorporate that as well... maybe Ill steal some of your alarm ideas as well!!

@Bumbershoot I gave that a shot but have a dumb question. What sets the motion sensor back to OFF? That doesnt seem to be something I can do with a Then Set Device.

I have the MS2 which doesnt have the on commands only option. Is that a problem?

image.thumb.png.12de9436b9ad4d341801210a6828887b.png

Nobody cares if it sends off. You only watch the "On"s to trigger programs and scenes. Programs do the Off timing.

If the MS sends OFFs also you cannot use Insteon scenes for faster response without the MS interfering with ISY smarts. You could set it to the longest time delay though as a work-around.

Your screen shot shows the option.

28 minutes ago, 66splitbus said:

Oh duh, I need to use a scene!

You use a scene for the fastest response but you don't send an Off from the MS.
Use an ISY program to detect the MS on and after the desired timeout send an off to the scene or better yet, to the device.

There are ways to modify the MS--->Lamp scene, using ISY programs, to change brightness (tome of day) and ramp speed or even block it.

Really appreciate the help, definitely learning a little something tonight!

I've been trying to get this to work on a new motion sensor 2 but for whatever reason my sensors dont have the "as motion sensed."  I tried on the original sensor and it everything worked fine.

Bummer. I did some searching, seems some sensors show it some dont. @Bumbershoot I saw a thread where you commented on this, did you every figure out why yours have the option? Does your options look like mine? 

20 minutes ago, 66splitbus said:

Really appreciate the help, definitely learning a little something tonight!

I've been trying to get this to work on a new motion sensor 2 but for whatever reason my sensors dont have the "as motion sensed."  I tried on the original sensor and it everything worked fine.

Bummer. I did some searching, seems some sensors show it some dont. @Bumbershoot I saw a thread where you commented on this, did you every figure out why yours have the option? Does your options look like mine? 

The MS II have quite a few more options.  In the Options window, Motion | Report has an "On Only" selection.  Use that, and your MS "Status" value will always read as "On".  You'll turn your lights off with a program.  It works...

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 7.49.23 PM.png

Archived