Update to 5.016B = "Z Wave Dongle Not Responding"

Update seemed to go as planned - Insteon all fine, UI and FW both showing 16B etc...

But no Z-Wave.

I had 4.55 Z Wave FW before so didn't update that prior to going with 16B ISY FW update.

Tried rebooting, then power-cycling ISY several times - no change.

Just a red exclamation saying "Z Wave Dongle Not Responding", with an "Update Z Wave Firmware" option below it (which I haven't tried - I have multiple locks and it will be a PITA to re-do my Z Wave network...).

Thanks for any help with the issue!

EDIT:  Tried "Update Firmware" button since nothing was doing anything - that's a no go because ISY can't initialize, boot / reboot or communicate in any way with the ZW module (this by the info display box as it is trying to "update firmware". It finally stops trying.

Seems as though the update somehow killed the ZW module?

Thank you, I had a 4.55 version with regular wave board. I upgraded to the latest and I replaced my wave board with zwave+. 

After the upgrade zw+ I got this same error message. I contacted UD support, they sent replacement board I replaced it did complete FR, and same error.

@Michel Kohanim suggested my ISY can be faulty and they offer to send it for repairs. 

I just bought new one on Amazon,

Update seemed to go as planned - Insteon all fine, UI and FW both showing 16B etc...
But no Z-Wave.
I had 4.55 Z Wave FW before so didn't update that prior to going with 16B ISY FW update.
Tried rebooting, then power-cycling ISY several times - no change.
Just a red exclamation saying "Z Wave Dongle Not Responding", with an "Update Z Wave Firmware" option below it (which I haven't tried - I have multiple locks and it will be a PITA to re-do my Z Wave network...).
Thanks for any help with the issue!
EDIT:  Tried "Update Firmware" button since nothing was doing anything - that's a no go because ISY can't initialize, boot / reboot or communicate in any way with the ZW module (this by the info display box as it is trying to "update firmware". It finally stops trying.
Seems as though the update somehow killed the ZW module?

Do you have the SEP and external Zwave module?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, marcin said:

Thank you, I had a 4.55 version with regular wave board. I upgraded to the latest and I replaced my wave board with zwave+. 

After the upgrade zw+ I got this same error message. I contacted UD support, they sent replacement board I replaced it did complete FR, and same error.

@Michel Kohanim suggested my ISY can be faulty and they offer to send it for repairs. 

I just bought new one on Amazon,

There is no way all of us have suddenly "bad" ISY units. Mine has been running flawlessly for years. I do have a spare one, but suspect it would be a real ordeal to try and move everything over to it just to try the theory out.

I know I could make a backup on "old ISY" and restore to "new ISY", but then I'd have to do something about the PLM (from "old ISY"), something about all the "Modules" I have (ELK, Networking, ISY portal, etc...)

Not an easy thing to do as I understand it - but if someone has a step by step that makes all this straightforward and fairly painless please let me know and I'll try it.

Apparently the $50 zwave replacement board I ordered will not fix the issue either...

I'm not happy that a FW update has apparently bricked my ISY and or ZW board.

2 hours ago, telljcl said:

There is no way all of us have suddenly "bad" ISY units. Mine has been running flawlessly for years. I do have a spare one, but suspect it would be a real ordeal to try and move everything over to it just to try the theory out.

I know I could make a backup on "old ISY" and restore to "new ISY", but then I'd have to do something about the PLM (from "old ISY"), something about all the "Modules" I have (ELK, Networking, ISY portal, etc...)

Not an easy thing to do as I understand it - but if someone has a step by step that makes all this straightforward and fairly painless please let me know and I'll try it.

Apparently the $50 zwave replacement board I ordered will not fix the issue either...

I'm not happy that a FW update has apparently bricked my ISY and or ZW board.

I'm running it on my test isy without issues as are many others. 1 of the posters on here with issues is due to another reason not related to the upgrade. While your board may be bad, I highly doubt the firmware update itself bricked it. 

I know I've purchased all modules (portal included) for my test isy and main unit so that I could easily swap out in the future. Your plm would transfer automatically when you go through the restore process on the new one. 

Once you make your backup, contact udi to transfer your modules from the old to the new. Then restore everything and you'll be ok. 

I have the same issue.  Zwave working flaulessly before but after upgrade now shows Z-Wave dongle not responding.  I was on current ver 4 before upgrading to 5.0.16B.  I just upgrade my GA house yesterday.  Zwave software at 4.55 before the updgrade.

A month ago I upgraded my MI Condo to 5.0.16 and z-wave working fine.

I just reset up a ISY 994i for my daughter yesterday.  She had moved so we did a factory reset on the ISY and PLM before installing the new 5.0.16B software and zwave worked fine from the start.

7 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Hello everyone especially those with this issue,

The first question is: how old is your ISY? 

With kind regards,
Michel

Other than the SN I"m not sure how I'd tell (other than trying to look up the purchase date, which I can't seem to find, but probably around 2014 or 2015 I'm going to guess...)

SN on my main ISY - 994iZ/IR Pro is 00152xx, and my 500 Z Wave board was purchased not too long after that module became available as I recall. I also have a 300 series board in my parts bin, and my backup ISY has a 300 series board in it.

SN on my backup ISY - which I"ve never used - is 33.0021b9022exx    (xx is another letter and or number.)

So I'm assuming my "backup" ISY is newer... but never knew there were old ones and new ones.

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I'm running it on my test isy without issues as are many others. 1 of the posters on here with issues is due to another reason not related to the upgrade. While your board may be bad, I highly doubt the firmware update itself bricked it. 

I know I've purchased all modules (portal included) for my test isy and main unit so that I could easily swap out in the future. Your plm would transfer automatically when you go through the restore process on the new one. 

Once you make your backup, contact udi to transfer your modules from the old to the new. Then restore everything and you'll be ok. 

Thanks - good info to be sure.

So if I:

1) Backup ISY (old / current unit)

2) Disconnect old / current ISY. Remove ZW 500 board and install into backup ISY unit.

3) Connect backup ISY (with ZW500 board now installed) to PLM and network

4) Restore ISY (using step 1 backup from old / current unit)

All will function - including my original PLM - except I'll have to have all "modules" assigned to the backup ISY sn# by the ISY folks?

Sorry for the need to clarify, but I don't want to end up with a mess on my hands - Other than my ZW (just locks really) my system is functional and I don't want to screw things up.

EDIT: And is it possible to have a single PLM function with both ISY units (not at the same time, but just swap the main ISY unit and plug the "old" PLM into it)

I have a backup PLM as well - perhaps I should do what you did and go ahead and restore the setup of my main ISY onto the backup one, and do the same for my current PLM onto the backup one, and re-purchase additional licenses... but just not sure I have a handle on just what has to be done.

19 minutes ago, telljcl said:

Thanks - good info to be sure.

So if I:

1) Backup ISY (old / current unit)

2) Disconnect old / current ISY. Remove ZW 500 board and install into backup ISY unit.

3) Connect backup ISY (with ZW500 board now installed) to PLM and network

4) Restore ISY (using step 1 backup from old / current unit)

All will function - including my original PLM - except I'll have to have all "modules" assigned to the backup ISY sn# by the ISY folks?

Sorry for the need to clarify, but I don't want to end up with a mess on my hands - Other than my ZW (just locks really) my system is functional and I don't want to screw things up.

EDIT: And is it possible to have a single PLM function with both ISY units (not at the same time, but just swap the main ISY unit and plug the "old" PLM into it)

I have a backup PLM as well - perhaps I should do what you did and go ahead and restore the setup of my main ISY onto the backup one, and do the same for my current PLM onto the backup one, and re-purchase additional licenses... but just not sure I have a handle on just what has to be done.

1) this is correct. It's a good practice to always have a back up on hand no matter what

2) correct. Prior to this, I would get the modules moved over to the new one if you take that route to lessen the chance of something going wrong. 

3) this is correct

4) correct. Restore backup. Make sure plm is powered up and connected to isy prior to powering up the isy. One note, I always make sure my isy is on dhcp prior to doing anything. Doesn't matter but if there's an issue it's easier to get inside. The isy will alert you that you have a different ip address. I'd reassign the isy with the old address

Technically it is possible. I use separate plms though. I feel like if I'm having so many problems that I need to swap, I want an all new environment.

15 minutes ago, telljcl said:

... So I went back to .14 and my Z Wave is fine.

I ordered a replacement Z Wave board which I guess goes into the spare parts box...

I think I'll wait until somebody figures out what .16B does that breaks Z Wave completely for some ISY users before trying it again.

Is your old board 300 or 500 series? Also, are your devices zwave plus?

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Is your old board 300 or 500 series? Also, are your devices zwave plus?

I've got an old 300 in my parts box already, and the current one in my main ISY is a 500 board.

I've got a 300 board in my spare ISY.

The one I just ordered (since I thought it was dead) is of course another 500 board.

Thanks for the advice.

I need to just set up a duplicate / backup system and buy the modules again for the backup unit.

In this case, will all my insteon devices have a record of the original PLM as well as the backup one?

5 minutes ago, handyman300 said:

Not sure how old my ISY 994i is but it is old, S/N #0015352

Well it looks like both of ours are pretty old - so maybe there was some HW change in there somewhere...

Hopefully whatever it is can be identified, so that the next ISY FW revision will work properly on all ISY units - including the older ones w/ Z Wave 500 modules in them.

I upgraded my ISY directly from 4.7.3 to 5.0.16B. I thought if I could restore my ISY to 4.7.3 and my backup, I could see if the z-wave is working. I have tried to reinstall 4.7.3 but I get an error "reported written size is invalid".  Is there anyway I can go back to the older version ?  I did a factory reset before I tried to move back to 4.7.3.

2 minutes ago, handyman300 said:

I upgraded my ISY directly from 4.7.3 to 5.0.16B. I thought if I could restore my ISY to 4.7.3 and my backup, I could see if the z-wave is working. I have tried to reinstall 4.7.3 but I get an error "reported written size is invalid".  Is there anyway I can go back to the older version ?  I did a factory reset before I tried to move back to 4.7.3.

You should be able to go back to the 4.7.3 by downloading the 4.73 firmware and then installing it in your ISY. You will need a good 4.7.3 backup once you've installed the 4.7.3 firmware.

2 minutes ago, dbuss said:

You should be able to go back to the 4.7.3 by downloading the 4.73 firmware and then installing it in your ISY. You will need a good 4.7.3 backup once you've installed the 4.7.3 firmware.

I have tried but I get error: "Upgrade Failed: Failed uploading file (reported written size is invalid)".  I also tried this with 5.0.14 and same error.

46 minutes ago, dbuss said:

Check this out.

48 minutes ago, dbuss said:

Check this out.

I checked it out but still cannot get the previous releases to install.  I use https, I have a MacBook Pro, unfortunately, I just installed Catalina so there might be other unrelated problems.  I cannot find any firewall issues or java security issues.

2 hours ago, telljcl said:

I've got an old 300 in my parts box already, and the current one in my main ISY is a 500 board.

I've got a 300 board in my spare ISY.

The one I just ordered (since I thought it was dead) is of course another 500 board.

Thanks for the advice.

I need to just set up a duplicate / backup system and buy the modules again for the backup unit.

In this case, will all my insteon devices have a record of the original PLM as well as the backup one?

You don't want to set your devices on both plms. My test/backup isy only has my backup devices which I use to test upgrades and stuff with. 

Archived