Update to 5.016B = "Z Wave Dongle Not Responding"

16 hours ago, T.Schellenberg said:

I'm also having this problem. I thought it was my z wave board so I ordered a replacement and same issue. Serial number is 00121##

Guess you saw earlier post but I went back to .14 and Z Wave is fine now. I also ordered a Z Wave board as it appeared that it was toast...

It is an issue with (apparently older) ISY units and .16B.

Let's hope .16C fixes it.

21 hours ago, handyman300 said:

I have tried but I get error: "Upgrade Failed: Failed uploading file (reported written size is invalid)".  I also tried this with 5.0.14 and same error.

I was able to downgrade to 4.7.3.  I factory reset the ISY, used UI v4 instead of v5 and was able to get 4.7.3 to load completely.  Z-Wave was back working again.  I did a backup restore and all Z-Wave devices working correctly.

Now I just need to know how to upgrade to 5.0.16B without losing Z-Wave functionality.

On 12/31/2019 at 1:06 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

Hello everyone especially those with this issue,

The first question is: how old is your ISY? 

With kind regards,
Michel

ISY is several years old. The SN is #0015407 ISY-994iZ/IR PRO

I've had issues prior to the update so I'm wondering if the ISY is just too old :( 

On 12/31/2019 at 10:47 AM, telljcl said:

... So I went back to .14 and my Z Wave is fine.

I ordered a replacement Z Wave board which I guess goes into the spare parts box...

I think I'll wait until somebody figures out what .16B does that breaks Z Wave completely for some ISY users before trying it again.

@telljcl, is it possible that you installed the wrong firmware? Which firmware did you install?

With kind regards,
Michel

8 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@telljcl,

Are you certain your PLM was also connected and that ISY was not in Safe Mode? 

With kind regards,
Michel

Certain. Thanks

File I used to install is: Insteon_5.0.16B.zip...

Insteon was working fine with 16B as far as I could see (but didn't test extensively).

And there was a "Z Wave" item on the menu bar at the top of Admin Console - just if you clicked on it there was a red exclamation and "Z Wave Dongle not responding..." and an option to "Update Firmware" - which didn't work.

3 hours ago, handyman300 said:

I was able to downgrade to 4.7.3.  I factory reset the ISY, used UI v4 instead of v5 and was able to get 4.7.3 to load completely.  Z-Wave was back working again.  I did a backup restore and all Z-Wave devices working correctly.

Now I just need to know how to upgrade to 5.0.16B without losing Z-Wave functionality.

Upgraded to 5.0.16 (not 5.0.16B) and everything working correctly.  Z-Wave showing active and Z-Wave devices working correctly.

So this happened to me when I upgraded to 5.0.16B I tried replacing my z wave card. Nothing. I have downgraded to .14 and .13. Both have not worked. I only have 3 z wave door locks so I didn't think it would be necessary to do a backup. I have tried to factory reset all the door locks and nothing. I cant get anything to connect anymore. Any ideas?

I am in the process of setting up a new house.  My daughter moved houses so I am doing a clean install.  I did a factory reset first, then loaded up 5.0.16B.  Z-Wave works fine.  Serial # 13042.

The difference between this and my previous upgrade was that I did not do a factory reset first, I needed to keep my ISY settings so I upgraded to 5.0.16B and then Z-Wave did not work.  During the restore process, I did a factory reset but on 4.7.3 then upgraded to 5.0.16 (not B.) and Z-Wave is working fine.  

I will wait to upgrade to 5.0.16B until this is all sorted out.

On 1/1/2020 at 9:20 PM, T.Schellenberg said:

So this happened to me when I upgraded to 5.0.16B I tried replacing my z wave card. Nothing. I have downgraded to .14 and .13. Both have not worked. I only have 3 z wave door locks so I didn't think it would be necessary to do a backup. I have tried to factory reset all the door locks and nothing. I cant get anything to connect anymore. Any ideas?

I had trouble adding my door locks too.  I did a remove node on the device.  Factory reset the lock and then did an include.  I had to put 2 of the locks right next to the ISY in order for the ISY to find them and then relocated them back to the doors.  All locks are working fine now.  I am currently on 5.0.16 for this house.

2 hours ago, handyman300 said:

I had trouble adding my door locks too.  I did a remove node on the device.  Factory reset the lock and then did an include.  I had to put 2 of the locks right next to the ISY in order for the ISY to find them and then relocated them back to the doors.  All locks are working fine now.  I am currently on 5.0.16 for this house.

Generally locks (and other security devices) need to be within 3 feet of the controller to add. Some oems such as Yale are able to use network wide inclusion but that's firmware dependent

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Generally locks (and other security devices) need to be within 3 feet of the controller to add. Some oems such as Yale are able to use network wide inclusion but that's firmware dependent

What he said - locks are a pain. I have a long ethernet cable just for doing this so I can take the ISY close to the locks. If you haven't installed the locks, it's easier to do the programming at the ISY before putting them in the doors...

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

That is not entirely true.  Before I had any wired zwave devices, there were 3 battery operated door locks (kwikset) and two motion sensors (monoprice).  Two of them were able to connect up to the ISY without any issues.  The 3rd was the farthest at 3 walls and 40 feet.  I have since wired all the switches in my house with zwave and healed the network.  Have not had an issue with the locks, window/door sensors or motion sensors (all battery operated).

The one thing that got me was excluding before inclusion.  The battery ones are sometimes tested at the factory and not excluded.  I religiously exclude and include and have not had any issues.

How many wired zwave devices do you have in the house.  If none, then consider a wired zwave repeater, outlet or switch.

1 hour ago, Mecheng70 said:

That is not entirely true.  Before I had any wired zwave devices, there were 3 battery operated door locks (kwikset) and two motion sensors (monoprice).  Two of them were able to connect up to the ISY without any issues.  The 3rd was the farthest at 3 walls and 40 feet.  I have since wired all the switches in my house with zwave and healed the network.  Have not had an issue with the locks, window/door sensors or motion sensors (all battery operated).

The one thing that got me was excluding before inclusion.  The battery ones are sometimes tested at the factory and not excluded.  I religiously exclude and include and have not had any issues.

How many wired zwave devices do you have in the house.  If none, then consider a wired zwave repeater, outlet or switch.

I guess you missed the very first word and line  that said generally which implies that it doesn't  mean every case. Thanks for the advice though I'm not the one having issues. The advice you e given is something I do on every install, (I actually add and test prior to installation as a general rule anyway regardless of protocol. 

In answer to your question, I have about 25 -30 zwave devices in my own home but have installed hundreds as I do installations as well. 

1 minute ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I guess you missed the very first word and line  that said generally which implies that it doesn't  mean every case. Thanks for the advice though I'm not the one having issues. The advice you e given is something I do on every install, (I actually add and test prior to installation as a general rule anyway regardless of protocol. 

In answer to your question, I have about 25 -30 zwave devices in my own home but have installed hundreds as I do installations as well. 

Apologize. 

The question about number of devices was directed to the user with that made it sound like he only has 3 zwave devices. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 4:40 PM, Michel Kohanim said:

@telljcl,

Are you certain your PLM was also connected and that ISY was not in Safe Mode? 

With kind regards,
Michel

Has there been any progress made on this issue with .16B and Zwave? Was it determined that only older ISY units are having an issue? I had to go back to .14 and all is fine for now.

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@telljcl,

The issue is a conflict between mod21011 (electricity meter module) and the Z-Wave dongle. If you are NOT using the electricity module, disable it and everything should work. This has already been fixed in the next release.

With kind regards,
Michel

Thanks Michel - I don't have / don't use the electricity module, so this was causing an issue even if the electricity module wasn't enabled or in use?

11 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@telljcl,

No, just the electricity module or RCS thermostat (22000).

With kind regards,
MIchel

Well I had the issue, and I don't use the electricity module or an RCS thermostat.

I didn't look to see if somehow the electricity module got "checked" on (do you have to buy that?) when I tried .16B, but unless it enabled itself I've never even looked at that tab in the Admin console. I checked it when you replied here, and it is not enabled - as expected - but of course I'm back on .14 now so my Zwave will work...

Archived