What do I lose by creating ISY nodes with DSC motion sensors?

ISY Newbie

Some of the DSC motion sensors are placed in proximity to other Insteon motion sensors in my house.

By creating ISY nodes from these DSC motion sensors, it looks like I can do away with the nearby Insteon sensors, which will lesson the need to replace batteries.

Other than the chore of having to set up a 24/7 computer that hosts DSC Link, what do I lose in terms of my home security provided by the DSC motion sensors?

If your sensors are directly linked to your lights , you'll lose the speed of direct links as the isy becomes the middle man to relay your signals to devices. 

I don't mix (double duty) my alarm sensors with jobs my automation sensors should be doing (and vice versus) While it can be done successfully, one errant command/program that causes a false alarm simply isn't worth it. 

Security motion sensors are very seldom appropriately placed properly to operate normal motion detection for lighting. One is typically covering windows and exterior entrances, while the other is to cover interior entrances and normal travel pathways.

I have four that cover the spaces over the beds, in case somebody gets up in the middle of the night, or just going to bed. Lamps vary in brightness, based on time of day, while still being Insteon scene direct connected to the their lamps for speed.

One issue is the battery DSC motion sensors like I have have a built in delay of something like 6 seconds - if that is not a problem then they could be used.  The security MD batteries last a long time.  An in-wall solution, if you can wire power to it, is to use a GE enbrighten Z-Wave motion sensor switch.

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

Security motion sensors are very seldom appropriately placed properly to operate normal motion detection for lighting. One is typically covering windows and exterior entrances, while the other is to cover interior entrances and normal travel pathways.

That's a very valid point.  I've actually never thought about where my DSC motion detectors are facing.

I don't see where it would do any harm to test it.  It is a simple matter of writing one program.  Using ISY to respond with lighting commands off of DSC nodelink will not cause any harm to your DSC's ability to be an alarm system.

My experience with delays via programs is that when the program trigger is internal to ISY or from a network trigger (ie DSC nodelink), there is a negligible increase delay as compared to a direct insteon link.  Where I see delays is when an Insteon device triggers ISY program which triggers another Insteon device.  Furthermore, when it comes to motion sensors, the delay I see is primarily the difference between actual motion and reported motion.  The system powered DSC devices may be faster than a battery powered Insteon device.

Archived