how can I make a home-made doorbell system that texts me a webcam image when doorbell is rung?

someguy

I have my house's doorbell connected to my isy so that it can send me a text message when the doorbell is rang.  I would like that text message to include a photo from my porch-mounted webcam.  Yes, I'm trying to create my own RING doorbell system that won't have a recurring cost and should work indefinitely in the future.  

if this is already explained in the forum, I could not find it and will someone point me to it. 

You could use a Insteon 2843 Open/Close sensor. Connect the push button to the external control connectors on the bottom of the 2843. You would probably want to put the 2843 in a different location than the switch so just run small gauge wires between the doorbell switch and the 2843. Or, just mount the 2843 by the door and mount the switch in the 2843 cover, then secure the cover to the base. I use the 2843 in my mailbox. It is mounted on the mailbox door with a ball switch that makes contact when the mail box door is open.

I have an IOLinc connected to my doorbell via a relay  and I get text messages advising of a doorbell button press. It appears you have already done that.

I also have 5 Wyze cameras and one points out the widow and can see the walkway going up to the front door.  I can then review who walked up my sidewalk at that point in time.

Not ideal yet but once somebody gets the API, and/or write a NS for Wyze cams this could become exactly what you requested.

WYZE CAMS
Note:Amazon sells these Wyse cam cube for about $35 CAD, or $25 USD each. 1080p, multiple stream output, with local SD continuous or event storage, and remote event storage. They had an amazing human movement detection system but it seems the provider for this feature and Wyze had a dispute and the feature was discontinued. Wyse states they will be installing their own firmware, spring of 2020, containing in-cam human motion detection again. These cams have already been firmware upgraded about 5-6 times in the last year of ownership so I trust this will happen. I painted three black so they can disappear among black A/V components. Bi-directional sound also.
They make my $250 PTZ Dahua cam look cheap.

Similarly, to Larry, I have my doorbell linked via ELK to the ISY which notifies me and works in conjunction with an Insteon Motion Sensor that also turns on porch lights / spotlights and notifies me, etc. and lastly, I have a SEPARATE, not integrated,  security camera system that is set up to email me pictures of motion at the front door. 

So essentially, I could not easily figure out. any integration between my camera system and ISY, so I get the notifications via ISY and have a special email set up that receives the pictures from the camera system. The ISY text notification, alerts me to motion, where I can then either look live on the cameras, or check the email for the pictures.  

This has me thinking though.. so what?.... so I need to set up an easy way to trigger my outside siren ./ strobes (elk/isy) if I dont like what I see, otherwise, what's the real point? I am not there and cant really do anything anyway.. lol. So in reality, it is just for curiosity and information vs any real actionable events... :( 

Welcome to any ideas that others are doing in this type of set up. 

I have an IP camera that is monitored by blue iris software.  Blue iris will email you (or do email to text) of snapshots upon various triggers you designate.  In my case, I programmed blue iris to look for an object that starts in one location and moves to a second location.  The end result is I get notified every time someone approaches my house (but not when exiting).  Since ISY links to blue iris (via node server) I also have other events happen upon that same trigger.  The blue iris/isy connection is two way, so since you already have your doorbell linked to isy, you could have isy trigger blue iris to send the image.  Or, you could have blue iris send the image based on various motion attributes and get notified when someone like the amazon guy drops off a package but doesn't ring the bell.  Or when a thief comes to pick up that amazon package.

So, if you wanted to use blue iris

1) pay $50 for blue iris

2) have an always on pc

3) have polyglot running with the blue iris node server. 

Hopefully you already have 2 and 3.  If you don't have 3, then why the heck not.  The node servers are awesome.

That’s the third time someone has pointed me to blue iris.  I think I need to go ahead and bite the bullet and get it.  Thank you. 

as far as the polyglot server.  I’m concerned about it because I have no idea what it is.  I looked on YouTube and watched some videos but I need a “for dummies” description of what it is and how to use it.  

1 minute ago, someguy said:

That’s the third time someone has pointed me to blue iris.  I think I need to go ahead and bite the bullet and get it.  Thank you. 

as far as the polyglot server.  I’m concerned about it because I have no idea what it is.  I looked on YouTube and watched some videos but I need a “for dummies” description of what it is and how to use it.  

2 basic options

1) buy a polisy from UD.  Polisy will have polyglot installed already.  Polisy has a lot of horsepower and is rumored to be the future of ISY (ie, it will replace your ISY).  But it costs a lot more and this new version of ISY that theoretically runs on it is ambiguously in the future.

2) buy a raspberry pi and watch the videos located on the polyglot section of this forum.  This is much cheaper but will require a bit of your time.  Theoretically about 15 minutes if you knew what you were doing, but you don't, so expect a couple hours.

But once you have polyglot running, you will likely find several of the node servers to be useful.

5 hours ago, apostolakisl said:

2 basic options

1) buy a polisy from UD.  Polisy will have polyglot installed already.  Polisy has a lot of horsepower and is rumored to be the future of ISY (ie, it will replace your ISY).  But it costs a lot more and this new version of ISY that theoretically runs on it is ambiguously in the future.

2) buy a raspberry pi and watch the videos located on the polyglot section of this forum.  This is much cheaper but will require a bit of your time.  Theoretically about 15 minutes if you knew what you were doing, but you don't, so expect a couple hours.

But once you have polyglot running, you will likely find several of the node servers to be useful.

Will Blue Iris run on a Rpi? I would rather a lower power and more reliable RPi run 24 x 7 than a full, energy hungry, large size, and costly Win 10 system.

29 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Will Blue Iris run on a Rpi? I would rather a lower power and more reliable RPi run 24 x 7 than a full, energy hungry, large size, and costly Win 10 system.

only runs on windows.  I also see it is up to $65 now.  I have version 4, not sure what I would gain going with v5.  I used to be $20 I think for 1 camera and $50 for the full package.  

EDIT:  Looks like you buy a license on ebay for $50.  Still haven't seen any compelling reason to stop using my v4.

6 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

only runs on windows.  I also see it is up to $65 now.  I have version 4, not sure what I would gain going with v5.  I used to be $20 I think for 1 camera and $50 for the full package.  

EDIT:  Looks like you buy a license on ebay for $50.  Still haven't seen any compelling reason to stop using my v4.

I have heard reports of it being free for a few years. Maybe things have changed in later times. The website states it requires a top speed Windows 10 machine with lots of CPU and memory and a 7200RPM HDD even. The $69.95 is an annual fee. I mean they all should get some compensation ,but that's quite the jump and the added cost of a new top-of-the line computer (and energy) every 3-4 years makes it out of my price range.

OTOH, perhaps those are only specs for using and displaying, up to 64 IP cams simultaneously, without hiccoughs.

2 minutes ago, larryllix said:

I have heard reports of it being free for a few years. Maybe things have changed in later times. The website states it requires a top speed Windows 10 machine with lots of CPU and memory and a 7200RPM HDD even. The $69.95 is an annual fee. I mean they all should get some compensation ,but that's quite the jump and the added cost of a new top-of-the line computer (and energy) every 3-4 years makes it out of my price range.

OTOH, perhaps those are only specs for using and displaying, up to 64 IP cams simultaneously, without hiccoughs.

I'm pretty sure that is a lifetime license.  The annual fee is if you want to maintain support.  It is sold at newegg and walmart also for $49.  The amount of pc horsepower is directly related to how many cameras you have and frame rate/resolution.  Running 64 high def cameras all at once is a lot, but most people will use far less.  I have an i7-6700 at 3.4ghz with 13 hd cameras and the system is not stressed.

1 hour ago, apostolakisl said:

I'm pretty sure that is a lifetime license.  The annual fee is if you want to maintain support.  It is sold at newegg and walmart also for $49.  The amount of pc horsepower is directly related to how many cameras you have and frame rate/resolution.  Running 64 high def cameras all at once is a lot, but most people will use far less.  I have an i7-6700 at 3.4ghz with 13 hd cameras and the system is not stressed.

$69.95 is a one year licence. $34.95 is for the LE (light edition) per year for one camera. All licenses are for only one PC.

Minimum support package  is another $29.95 per year.

https://blueirissoftware.com/#purchase

OUCH!

1 minute ago, larryllix said:

$69.95 is a one year licence. $34.95 is for the LE (light edition) per year for one camera. All licenses are for only one PC.

Minimum support package  is another $29.95 per year.

https://blueirissoftware.com/#purchase

OUCH!

I'm quite certain you are wrong.  I have version 4, and I have the option to purchase support, but my software is like 5 years old now and I only paid once.  I don't see anywhere that the license is listed as a subsription.  Only support.

13 hours ago, apostolakisl said:

I'm quite certain you are wrong.  I have version 4, and I have the option to purchase support, but my software is like 5 years old now and I only paid once.  I don't see anywhere that the license is listed as a subsription.  Only support.

Yup. My bad. It is for support and upgrades only (small type font highlighted)

287076417_BlueIrissupport.thumb.jpg.36415e4b44f832b1792d7ebba865c363.jpg

4 hours ago, larryllix said:

I run mine on an Intel NUC7i7BNH with 10 HD cams and it does just fine at 28 watts power consumption. 

2 hours ago, larryllix said:

Yup. My bad. It is for support and upgrades only (small type font highlighted)
287076417_BlueIrissupport.thumb.jpg.36415e4b44f832b1792d7ebba865c363.jpg

I think you made my point.  1 year of upgrades and support included.  If you want to continue upgrades and support there is a charge, but the software does not shut off.  Furthermore, you can deactivate your license and reactivate it on another pc.  I have done this a couple times with my software that is well past its support and upgrade period. 

EDIT:  Ha, my bad too.  I just noticed you wrote "my bad".

1 hour ago, markv58 said:

I run mine on an Intel NUC7i7BNH with 10 HD cams and it does just fine at 28 watts power consumption. 

IIRC there is a windows 10 image that runs on a RPi. I wonder if the video streams would burn up the SD card memory though. May need to add a USB HDD.

For now, Blue Iris doesn't support my cams anyway. I just thought it would be an easy way to get some control over them from HA.

I have a dpdt relay connected to my Doorbell with a 24vac coil powered by the doorbell transformer. One pole connects to the chime, the other to my Elk (on a non-alarm input). This could easily be an iolinc.

This triggers an ISY program that calls a network resource. The URL is on a Rpi and it runs a .php script.

That PHP scrips grabs an image from a Foscam I have looking out of my sidelight - and calls the Pushover API to send my phone the image. It works fairly well overall.

Archived