Variable Speed Pool Pump - Insteon I/O Module

cpamario

I am trying to control my Pentair Superflo Variable Speed Pool Pump via Insteon/ISY in order to have better scheduling control over the different speeds the pump provides.

In looking at the pool pump's manual, I see that I can connect an external low voltage control system to control each of its 4 speeds (One I/O connection per speed)

Penatair_Superflo-VS-Variable_Speed_Pump_External_Control_50.png

I was looking at the Insteon 2450 Low Voltage I/O module, but see that it only provides control over one output while I need to have 4 separate outputs. I suppose I could have 4 of these 2450 units in my pool box, but was hoping to just have one device to save space.

Is there a device similar to the Insteon 2450 that can provide 4 separate low voltage outputs and interface with ISY?

Would the Smartenit' IoT4R be an appropriate solution?  https://smartenit.com/product/iot4r/

Any other recommendations for my system?

Another fellow attempted this a few years ago with Insteon. Anything enclosed in a metal box that emits RF is asking for trouble.

The X10 system he was using worked fine but when updated to Insteon it failed repeatedly. The old I/OModule, being powerline only may work OK. OTOH many newer Insteon modules have the option to disable the RF I/o.

I wouldn't trust anything smartenit manufactured now after testing their X10/Insteon bridge unit. Others may have better success with their products.

I use an Autelis Bridge for Pentair Intellitouch connection, but apparently Autelis seems to be AWOL for the last year or so that's not an option.  And that's a lot more involved than what you're asking to do.

You could possibly use the GPIO pins of a RaspberryPi and to be on the safe side, have those outputs drive 4 small relays. The RPi's GPIO pins are only 3.3V so you get something like this to buffer between it and the Pentair relays:

Raspberry Pi relay hat

Then, use this Polyglot Node Server, which can probably run on the same Raspberry Pi.

https://github.com/exking/udi-gpio-poly

I haven't tried the GPIO node server, nor have I tried one of those relay hats but it seems like you could put something together for ~$50.

I did something similar while looking for a used autelis. You can program the easy touch / sun touch controller to make the spa side remote inputs any function (pump speed lights etc) then use 2450’s as momentary contacts to simulate button pushes you will have to put the 2450’s in a separate box or away from the controller

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, matt.york said:

Has anyone succeeded in controlling a Pentair Superflo Variable Speed Pool Pump via Insteon/ISY?

do you have easytouch/suntouch/intellitouch control system?  If so do you have ScreenLogic?  Yes my ISY can control... unfortunately the Autelis interface is no longer available, however if you have screenlogic you can control via Home Assistant, which can be interfaced to the ISY thereby giving you Control via Insteon.

There's also this thread via rPi and nodeJS.

16 hours ago, matt.york said:

Thanks for the quick reply MrBill!!

No I do not have have any control system. cpamario did not mention it in this post.

Is that required? If so, which do you recommend? easytouch , suntouch orintellitouch

I spoke too soon, I was confusing Superflo for Intelliflo.

Superflo you simply need relays to control 1 of 4 relay inputs the pump has.  As @midrar points out that could be using relay of an Elk integration.  there's a few other ways to control relays as well. 

If you want to do what cpamario did and have no pump controller. Wanting it controlled by Insteon. You would not need a pump controller.

You would need one of the Smartenit modules and a six conductor wire from the Smartenit module to the variable speed pump.

I found a installation guide. If the pump has a waterproof connector on the side of the pump. The cable mentioned in the Smarthome post would be a good idea.

There is more information in his Smarthome Forum post. https://forum.smarthome.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20867

MrBill's interface also sounds interesting.

18 minutes ago, Brian H said:

MrBill's interface also sounds interesting.

the Pentair product lines with "Intelli" included in the product name all interconnect using a semi-proprietary protocol over RS484.  It was one labeled "proprietary", but effectively it's been reverse engineered so now I'd call it semi-proprietary.

10 minutes ago, matt.york said:

Is Autelis the only entity that has reverse engineered the Pentair Products? https://www.autelis.com/

Autelis seems to be out f business. I am thinking of getting rid of my Pentair pump and buying a simple one speed pump that can be controlled via an Insteon switch.

Home Assistant released an official core Screenlogic Integration in April, that works very well (however does require Screenlogic, Autelis was a screenlogic alternative but could be used with screenlogic as well.   HA also has an official ISY-994 integration that also works very well.

I have both Autelis and HA... I could go thru and change the way things work and get rid of Autelis now and my ISY and Insteon controls could still work, so far tho the old system (Autelis/ISY/Insteon) still works great, so I have no intention of "fixing it".

Archived