Login as non-admin

elionce

1 hour ago, metal450 said:

You keep sharing how your system is setup - that's great, but as stated previously, yours clearly isn't the same as everyone's.  I understand that I can invest time & energy in installing a bunch of extra keypanels all over the place to (partially) workaround the lack of user access control.

....And still leave the root credentials "remembered" on everyone's mobile devices for when they aren't home

....And continue sending those full administrative credentials over the internet with every command

....Including if a family member unknowingly ends up using their phone on an unknown/untrusted network

...And continue having to personally setup everyone's client for them, rather than simply being able to say "visit this URL & enter this user/pass"

I was speaking to someone about their post not about how your system is setup. There are ways around the ISY's perceived shortfalls that could help ease your worries. You could choose to implement what others do or not. It's your choice.

At the end of the day, the isy is not currently setup in the way you'd like regardless of reasons. We can all debate about the whys and what ifs but it is what it is and it's not changing anytime soon. If your concern is that great, it may be better to think outside the box to accomplish what you desire using methods others use or take a chance with giving others your credentials. Being closed to any other alternative still doesn't help your position

31 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I was speaking to someone about their post not about how your system is setup. There are ways around the ISY's perceived shortfalls that could help ease your worries. You could choose to implement what others do or not. It's your choice.

At the end of the day, the isy is not currently setup in the way you'd like regardless of reasons. We can all debate about the whys and what ifs but it is what it is and it's not changing anytime soon. If your concern is that great, it may be better to think outside the box to accomplish what you desire using methods others use or take a chance Being closed to any other alternative still didn't help your position

I doubt ISY will ever see multipermission levels on the current box or underlying OS. UDI is busy porting ISY to polisy and HTML5/CSS/js and a third party OS.

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2020 at 11:26 PM, metal450 said:

How can I login to the ISY as a non-admin user account?  I've searched high and low, but couldn't seem to figure it out.

There are quite a few obvious issues with just always logging in as admin (i.e. it's unnecessary to have full administrative privileges just to perform simple device control; I have to give all family members and/or guests the admin credentials even if they're computer illiterate / don't know how to use password managers; having everyone always login as admin leads to using a less complex password than if I were the only one using it; leaving the admin credentials "remembered" on mobile devices could potentially be a security issue if the device gets lost; logging in as admin from unknown/untrusted networks could potentially be an unnecessary security risk; etc, etc, etc).

I can't recall if I asked this somewhere before, but couldn't find it, so apologies if it's a repeat :)

I realize this is a year-old thread, but I was actually wondering about a related question - does this mean the menu referenced here:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu

"Set Userid/Password" - that the other User ID #1 through User ID #9 do not work at all?

I'm not interested in separating permissions; I was just hoping to have a different username and password that I could input into the UD Mobile app.  That way if I were to lose my phone, I only have to change the password to a single User ID and not have to change my admin password, which is used elsewhere.

1 hour ago, oatflake said:

I realize this is a year-old thread, but I was actually wondering about a related question - does this mean the menu referenced here:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu

"Set Userid/Password" - that the other User ID #1 through User ID #9 do not work at all?

I'm not interested in separating permissions; I was just hoping to have a different username and password that I could input into the UD Mobile app.  That way if I were to lose my phone, I only have to change the password to a single User ID and not have to change my admin password, which is used elsewhere.

As far as we all know USER 1 - 9 is functionality that has never been implemented.  Although it exists in the menu, the functionality simply doesn't work.   I read and contribute here everyday, and this question gets asked from time to time, and no one has ever had other information.   It seems there was some intention, but it has never been built out.  For example, what would a non-admin user be able to do or not do? there's also no mechanism to determine what would or wouldn't be allowed for a "non-admin user".

8 minutes ago, MrBill said:

As far as we all know USER 1 - 9 is functionality that has never been implemented.  Although it exists in the menu, the functionality simply doesn't work.   I read and contribute here everyday, and this question gets asked from time to time, and no one has ever had other information.   It seems there was some intention, but it has never been built out.  For example, what would a non-admin user be able to do or not do? there's also no mechanism to determine what would or wouldn't be allowed for a "non-admin user".

Thanks for confirming that I wasn't the only one wondering!  :)

Archived