10+ Firmware and Roomie Remote

SSS

That seems to be an issue for several of us. Opening a ticket with the Roomie dev proved futile. I found if I only have a single Roomie instance open it works fine. Now I only keep my wall-mounted ipad on Roomie and use Alexa most of the time.

• 6 months later...

This is beyond my control I can only voice to both sides that this link is not working as desired...l hope that the two companies can find a way to interact and test each other products . As of now UD says its RR issue and RR says it’s UD. Why the consumer has to interfere and facilitate opening a ticket. More so as I don’t even know if this is firmware issue, api handshake or any other reason...

3 hours ago, sphome said:

This is beyond my control I can only voice to both sides that this link is not working as desired...l hope that the two companies can find a way to interact and test each other products . As of now UD says its RR issue and RR says it’s UD. Why the consumer has to interfere and facilitate opening a ticket. More so as I don’t even know if this is firmware issue, api handshake or any other reason...

Companies create systems and app developers develop for that system. Because 5.0 is different than 4.0, it would be on RR. It's not for the software to do the developers work. They should be willing to support the developer, which for all intents and purposes, it looks like UDI is willing to do. Being that other app developers have managed to work with 5.0, I'm inclined to say the problem is on RR's end and they should reach out for assistance if it's needed. 

13 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Companies create systems and app developers develop for that system. Because 5.0 is different than 4.0, it would be on RR. It's not for the software to do the developers work. They should be willing to support the developer, which for all intents and purposes, it looks like UDI is willing to do. Being that other app developers have managed to work with 5.0, I'm inclined to say the problem is on RR's end and they should reach out for assistance if it's needed. 

Agreed but if the system developers wanna sell more and more of their systems in the market place they work in @ HomeAutomation it’s in their interest as well to get popular APPS work and are fully supported. End consumers cannot solve these by building a communications bridge between two companies. All we can do is report the issues to both sides and that is what we have done.

43 minutes ago, SSS said:

Agreed but if the system developers wanna sell more and more of their systems in the market place they work in @ HomeAutomation it’s in their interest as well to get popular APPS work and are fully supported. End consumers cannot solve these by building a communications bridge between two companies. All we can do is report the issues to both sides and that is what we have done.

It is in the software developers interest. However the app developer has to be willing to update their stuff which from what I've seen, there is none. It's not for UDI to do the work for them. Let's be real, when a new ios version comes out, if RR doesn't update the app, do you think Apple will do it for them? Do you think Apple will re-do the update to work with it? NO! It simply won't work. 

The fact that other app developers have a presence on here but they don't shows a disinterest on their part in regards to making sure their system is compatible. They have had their own subforum for some time, but not once have they taken a moment to chime in. That speaks volumes to me. 

RR isn't paying UDI to work with the Isy. They are making money off Isy customers. Because of that, it should be them reaching out for help. Since they aren't and simply passing the buck, then my suspicion is that they simply don't care. 

17 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

It is in the software developers interest. However the app developer has to be willing to update their stuff which from what I've seen, there is none. It's not for UDI to do the work for them. Let's be real, when a new ios version comes out, if RR doesn't update the app, do you think Apple will do it for them? Do you think Apple will re-do the update to work with it? NO! It simply won't work. 

The fact that other app developers have a presence on here but they don't shows a disinterest on their part in regards to making sure their system is compatible. They have had their own subforum for some time, but not once have they taken a moment to chime in. That speaks volumes to me. 

RR isn't paying UDI to work with the Isy. They are making money off Isy customers. Because of that, it should be them reaching out for help. Since they aren't and simply passing the buck, then my suspicion is that they simply don't care. 

Again I guess we are missing the point here, as end user we can report the issue to both sides and hope for the best. Thanks 

Just now, SSS said:

Again I guess we are missing the point here, as end user we can report the issue to both sides and hope for the best. Thanks 

I'm not missing the point. I'm just stating where the fault is. The pressure needs to be on RR as it's their system. UDI has already indicated a willingness to work with them to fix... Unfortunately they haven't done the same

7 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I'm not missing the point. I'm just stating where the fault is. The pressure needs to be on RR as it's their system. UDI has already indicated a willingness to work with them to fix... Unfortunately they haven't done the same

How do we know they are not interested...someone has to contact from each other if they (RR) are not keen maybe they don’t see UDI as a compelling platform and if UDI doesn’t want to contact RR (surely understand your argument h/w platform doesn’t work for RR) we end users are left in the air. However, if UDI sees that RR can help them sell more units it’s in their interest to initiate the discussion...same applies to RR. who will break the ice haha...having said that ISY with Insteon devices as the main component devices is no Apple, IMHO Insteon is losing the battle big time vs HomeKit compatible devices ...however their devices are the best and most reliable hope they don’t become legacy as such its in the best interest of UDI again IMHO they should initiate...just my 2 cents ! Surely they have Zigbee, Z-Wave device support but that market share is shrinking.

@SSS,

With all due respect, if you are posting here it can only mean one thing: they are not responding to you, otherwise, they would have already contacted us. Perhaps UD is not making them money, and, if that's the case, then us contacting and begging them is not going to help. Again, I must stress, if there's something we can help them with, we'd be delighted to do so. What we cannot do is to spend our scarce resources fishing for issues to fix.

With kind regards,
Michel

59 minutes ago, SSS said:

How do we know they are not interested...someone has to contact from each other if they (RR) are not keen maybe they don’t see UDI as a compelling platform and if UDI doesn’t want to contact RR (surely understand your argument h/w platform doesn’t work for RR) we end users are left in the air. However, if UDI sees that RR can help them sell more units it’s in their interest to initiate the discussion...same applies to RR. who will break the ice haha...having said that ISY with Insteon devices as the main component devices is no Apple, IMHO Insteon is losing the battle big time vs HomeKit compatible devices ...however their devices are the best and most reliable hope they don’t become legacy as such its in the best interest of UDI again IMHO they should initiate...just my 2 cents ! Surely they have Zigbee, Z-Wave device support but that market share is shrinking.

We don't know if they are interested. However, the fact that they simply say it's an ISY issue vs reaching out to solve things points to a lack of interest. This is especially so since other apps do work (which says their api works).

The fact that they have their own subforum here but never chime in speaks volumes as well. I've seen plenty of other companies create profiles on here just to answer questions about devices issues and work with udi to solve them.....Nothing from RR.

I don't blame them completely however. The lack of traffic (outside of half a dozen people) on their subforum makes it seem like an extremely small user base. It wouldn't surprise me if they felt it simply not enough to warrant supporting. That would be unfortunate for paying customers but that's also the nature of a business. That same logic may also play into Udi's thinking. 1) not enough interest from end users to warrant it and 2) if RR doesn't care, why waste the time themselves...

The way UDI has historically operated, I doubt they see RR as something that can sell units for them as that's never been the end all. If it was, there would've been many other choices they could've/would've made over the years for that. 

Insteon isn't losing any battle in regards to homekit. Nor is zwave or all the other thousands of device mfg out there. Homekit isn't really in the running when you compare it to Google and Amazon.....both of which the ISY and Insteon hub supports. Reality, in the smart home space, Homekit is only big to Apple users. 

Ultimately RR is simply an app. Nothing more. That one app is not going to make or break any company. It's existence depends on supporting as many systems as it can to grow it's user base. The same for the ISY. It's existence depends on supporting devices that consumers want to use which is why UDI has moved beyond only i stein support. 

Copied UDI support email in my discussion with RR please connect thanks.

23 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@SSS,

Excellent, thank you. They can contact support@universal-devices.com and we'll take care of the rest.

With kind regards,
Michel

Thanks for taking the initiative very much appreciated.

Best thing would UDI and RR work together  to make sure 5.x is fully tested with RR 6.x

Just checking Was 5.x ever tested by RR or by UDI ? I am sure 4.7 or when first released might have gone though such testing by RR or UDI or jointly together...and now that we have a new firmware major change from UDI. IMHO and sincere desire to test it before final release either by RR or UDI but certainly not by a user like me or others who have reported slow response...thanks again 

14 minutes ago, SSS said:
Thanks for taking the initiative very much appreciated.

Best thing would UDI and RR work together  to make sure 5.x is fully tested with RR 6.x

Just checking Was 5.x ever tested by RR or by UDI ? I am sure 4.7 or when first released might have gone though such testing by RR or UDI or jointly together...and now that we have a new firmware major change from UDI. IMHO and sincere desire to test it before final release either by RR or UDI but certainly not by a user like me or others who have reported slow response...thanks again 

It's great that UDI is willing to help but your focus needs to be on the proper company which is RR

UDI and RR are 2 separate companies with no affiliation or partnership with each other. They aren't even mentioned on UDI's website to even believe there is a close partnership

RR has chosen to support udi on their own (and can drop support as they please). It's them who needs to test or update when udi does (or even when they update their own systems.

UDI probably didn't/won't test with RR as it's not their product and they do not design their system around them. 

Before upgrading your firmware to any that UDIs uses, I would recommend contacting RR to ensure full compatibility instead of expecting UDI to do their work for them. 

15 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

It's great that UDI is willing to help but your focus needs to be on the proper company which is RR

UDI and RR are 2 separate companies with no affiliation or partnership with each other. They aren't even mentioned on UDI's website to even believe there is a close partnership

RR has chosen to support udi on their own (and can drop support as they please). It's them who needs to test or update when udi does (or even when they update their own systems.

UDI probably didn't/won't test with RR as it's not their product and they do not design their system around them. 

Before upgrading your firmware to any that UDIs uses, I would recommend contacting RR to ensure full compatibility instead of expecting UDI to do their work for them. 

Thanks and agreed...again as I said very clearly l am not going say who should own it and or take the lead l can only express my desire. If both companies don’t see any mutual benefit so be it....what l am sure is l or any other user like me shouldn’t be involved in this compatibility testing porting of latest version, etc...I hope you agree to this...?

Archived