Envisalink-DSC Nodeserver goes off line

JTsao

It's in the title - I keep on having to restart the Envisalink-DSC nodeserver, because it eventually goes off line (to the ISY994i).  I am not sure exactly how long it takes but it seems that every 1-2 days it will go off-line.  Before that it works for quite a while, perhaps up to 1 day.  This was the 1st nodeserver I installed and I have been running it for a long time and have been keeping my Polisy Pro up to date.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

It appears in some cases, it indicates off-line but it is still working - I have counter variables indicating when motion or door sensors are triggered and they seem to be going up; however, in some cases, it goes off-line and does not work - I have several days of log e-mails where the counters were all zero.  Any thoughts on this?

Do you have a daily query all program?

Every time I query the nodeserver the online indication goes false (if it were true) in the AC, but the Polisy web page shows connected and it continues to work.

I have just stopped monitoring the 'Online' indication.

The Sonos nodeserver does this also.

Yes I do have a query all - every day at 3 AM; Today it appears that the node server is working, although it is reporting off-line.  I guess I'll just ignore this issue for now if there's no specific way to fix.  The problem is that I am seeing a situation where the node server seems to have truly gone off-line and I get no counts for motion or doors.  A few days ago I had a run of several days with zero counts; indicating that it was not working.  (I have the ISY e-mail myself a daily summary at midnight of each day).  Maybe that was caused by something else.  I'll keep an eye on things for now.  Thanks for letting me know about the query issue.

I've been using ioguy's dsc nodelinc rather than the one through polisy.  It has worked extremely well.  It has a heartbeat that switches a value back and forth between 0 and 1 every 30 seconds.  I wrote a program that sends me an email if that heartbeat goes for more than 5 minutes without changing and then every 20 minutes until it is back online.  Rarely it does go offline and that is because the computer it is running on goes down.  Which is very helpful since that computer does a number of things and knowing it is offline is important.

I have also noticed that my blue iris nodeserver says "false" for online status, however, it is not.  No idea why, but good chance you are seeing something similar.  Having a heartbeat like dsc nodelink is foolproof.

I am actually using both NodeLink and Polisy for DSC.  I wanted to switch to over to Polisy only but have found it not quite as reliable as NodeLink.

Polisy (which I had running on Polyglot/RPi until just recently) does stop working on occasion and I see some message about no response from EVL, terminating listening.

It would take a few days for me to realize things were not working even though the Dashboard web page indicated node server Connected (to ISY I assume).  Would be nice if it would disconnect from ISY when it stops communicating with EVL so you would have a more visible indication it is down.

On 7/2/2020 at 8:17 PM, gzahar said:

I am actually using both NodeLink and Polisy for DSC.  I wanted to switch to over to Polisy only but have found it not quite as reliable as NodeLink.

Polisy (which I had running on Polyglot/RPi until just recently) does stop working on occasion and I see some message about no response from EVL, terminating listening.

It would take a few days for me to realize things were not working even though the Dashboard web page indicated node server Connected (to ISY I assume).  Would be nice if it would disconnect from ISY when it stops communicating with EVL so you would have a more visible indication it is down.

This is why the 30 second heartbeat on nodeserver is invaluable.  The heartbeat only works when all aspects of the com between ISY and DSC are working.  Until Polisy has such a heartbeat, I will not use it.  Provided you have pc or rpi available and running 24/7, it is no issue to use nodeserver.  Since I run blue iris 24/7 already no matter what, putting nodeserver on the same computer is of no consequence.  Furthermore, having dsc nodelink on that pc gives me immediate warning if that pc goes down and thus serves as a nearly instant way to know that blue iris is down.

Archived