Access Points Needed Any More?

Kentinada

I have a couple 2443 Access Points in my house.  I added them years ago when communications to INSTEON devices was spotted and I needed to get across the both legs of my electrical feed.  Now that I have many INSTEON devices in the home, do I even need these any more?

I have a couple 2443 Access Points in my house.  I added them years ago when communications to INSTEON devices was spotted and I needed to get across the both legs of my electrical feed.  Now that I have many INSTEON devices in the home, do I even need these any more?

You’ll only know by removing them and watching the level 3 error logs in the AC. While activating locally, remotely, and through a scene test.

If your hops remain as before with the AP in place - Good to Go! If hops increase than you need to keep them there or replace them with a dual use item like On-Off, Dimmer, Outlet LINC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the 2443 Access Points are any revision 2. Label on the back should show revision. They are built on the same 2413 base board as the 2413S PLM we use and subject to the same capacitor issues. So your tests may show no added  communications issues if removed and already are starting to fail.

9 hours ago, Kentinada said:

In general they are not needed in large installs of dual band devices. If it were my home, I would try to remove them from service as I hate looking at wall worts

Is there any way to tell if commands are going through these Access Points other than unplugging and seeing what doesn't work?

Learn to read your Events Log where it tells you max hops and hops left. Unplug a dwvice and test again. One less hop left indicates a bypass happened.  

This won't indicate a parallel path if the counts do not change.

Sent using Tapatalk

The V1.? 2443 Access Points the white LED will flash on Insteon Tragic. The V2.? don't seem to flash for me.

You can always run the builtin 4 TAP/Beacon communications tests between them or any other Dual Band Modules. To see if they can communicate.

The checking the Hop count for changes. Should also show some information on if they are helping.

The Scene tests may also yield some information. With and without the Access Points in use.

I have been using Insteon since the beginning and have a house full of it. Despite that, I have just added a couple more to clean up some communication issues.  I don't know if I have switches that are starting to fail and not relaying the signal; or if the use of more LED lights is putting more noise on the line.  Regardless of the reason, hiding the wall warts behind furniture and the like is keeping the "It is not working again!" comments away :) 

At least the new version of the devices are much smaller than the old ones.

Archived