Remote & Receiver?

johnmsch

New ISY-99i user. I'd like to setup some kind of remote so that I can turn some lights on when I pull in the driveway, and turn them off when I leave. I'd like to use some kind of key FOB or small remote I can keep in the center console in my car.

Can someone please recommend a remote and a receiver that would work with it? I think I can handle the programming on the ISY.

Thanks

if you have an iphone or itouch just take it with you in the car. I am basing my whole system on my itouch and plan to mount mine to the entry wall.

I currently have a z-wave garage door opener type of clicker now to run my coach lights, entry lights and foyer light. I bought it before the isy came into my plan. I am hoping that z-wave support will come soon...

device:

Lutron Aurora AR-WC-WH Remote Control

Thanks for the reply tahoe, but I think I found just what I need. In another thread here I found a reference to these:

EZX10RF INSTEON / X10 Wireless Sensor Receiver

X10 KR22A Credit Card controller

Hopefully, this will do the trick. Now I need to figure out the programming.

The way I want it to work is when I press a specific button on the remote, The EZX10RF sends a signal over the powerline that the ISY sees. That would kick off a program that turns on certain lights. Anyone know how this would work?

The EZX10RF can receive all 256 X10 Addresses and will pass them on to the power line.

You can also use a specific X10 Address and command to map to a linked Insteon device.

I am not sure if the ISY can manage Insteon Links to it.

If you don't have information on it. Including the uses instruction sheet:

http://www.simplehomenet.com/proddetail ... 9357342313

If you are going to only use an X10 signal to trigger an ISY event. An X10 remote and a X10 Transceiver could also be used.

About how far away do you want to use the remote? As there maybe a range issue.

Further to Brian's comments, if you don't need any of the EZX10RF's advanced capabilities, a simple X10 transceiver like this one would be considerably cheaper and easier to set up. It's trivial effort to create ISY programs that respond to X10 events.

Range of both the X10 credit card and key fob controllers isn't great so you would need to locate the receiver close to the location where the controller is used. Note that some factory installed vehicle garage door openers--BMW and Chrysler, for example--can be trained to transmit X10 commands. The range of these built-in remotes is typically very good.

One other option to consider would be an Insteon RemoteLinc wireless controller. Since your Insteon installation probably already includes a couple of access points, you wouldn't need to get any additional receivers. Range and security would be better than either X10 solution, but the RemoteLincs are a tad clunky, perhaps not meeting the requirement for a "small" remote.

Cheers,

-Jim

• 5 months later...
New ISY-99i user. I'd like to setup some kind of remote so that I can turn some lights on when I pull in the driveway, and turn them off when I leave.

This post is kind of old but I noticed some people have recently chimed in. Here’s my 2 cents. I don’t have an iphone nor do I use a remote. I use a low voltage I/O Link INSTEON sensor on my garage doors to wake-up my house. When any garage door opens, an ISY program executes (only if it is after dark) to turn on the outside lighting as well as light up the house if we were away. The sensor also notifies people in the house and me (on my phone) if I’ve left the door open for more than 30 minutes.

I have button on a Keypad Linc in my garage that I press when I leave. That triggers programs in my ISY that puts the house in ‘Away’ mode. And if it’s dark, a program turns on outdoor lighting for 15 minutes, which allows me enough time to get down the road before the lights are turned off.

One drawback to my garage door wake-up method is this; it does not allow enough time to warm up the house before we walk in. Seems the phone may be the only way to notify heating systems in advance of our arrival. If there are other methods to waking up the house and heating systems, I’d be interested in knowing what they are.

It would be cool if I could trigger a program via a text message. I have a phone with a browser so I can always open up a bookmark and trigger things fairly easily, but my wife just has a basic phone. Right now she still likes to leave the outside lights on when we leave so that there's light when we come home hours later. Either that, or she's always asking me to use my phone to turn the lights on.

I think she would really love the ability to send a text to ISY telling it we're on our way home.

Would this be possible somehow with the network module? Is there a way to SMS to an email address maybe?