Insteon being discontinued?

jimg

16 minutes ago, asbril said:

I have heard this so much and it makes me think of     “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated,”      

You missed the clarifier. Reports have indicated this is absolutely true.
"Looks like this maybe the end of Insteon as we know it. "

45 minutes ago, asbril said:

I have heard this so much and it makes me think of     “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated,”      

Just say yes. If they don't have a sale, they're going under. If they have a sale, they're going under.

When they have product no one is buying it and they're going under. When they don't have products they aren't making more so they are going under. It's easier to just shake your head no while saying yes at the same time

12 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Just say yes. If they don't have a sale, they're going under. If they have a sale, they're going under.

When they have product no one is buying it and they're going under. When they don't have products they aren't making more so they are going under. It's easier to just shake your head no while saying yes at the same time

As you know I don't have a stake in this, but this discussion has been going on for so long that one day it will indeed happen (as it will to all technologies) and they will say "didn't I tell you ?".....

3 hours ago, asbril said:

As you know I don't have a stake in this, but this discussion has been going on for so long that one day it will indeed happen (as it will to all technologies) and they will say "didn't I tell you ?".....

We know they will. I almost wish it would happen just so we can move on from it. For people supposedly moving on from insteon, they're still the hot topic.

22 hours ago, Tim McDermott said:

FYI, just got an Email from Smarthome offering 30% sale including the 8 remaining Insteon SKUs they have in stock. These include 6 and 8 key keypads. Get them while you can. 

They jacked the prices up 40% and offered a 30% discount to unload the remaining inventory.

38 minutes ago, Kentinada said:

Is there a thread going on what people are using or planning to use to replace their INSTEON gear?

I think I am going to replace my Insteon with X-10. X10.com is still releasing new products and they make In Wall Keypads. I have an XTB-IIR repeater/amplifier/phase coupler so I'm not worried about signal strength but I have a plan to make X-10 dual band anyway. I will use my ISY to control relays on my Elk panel which are wired to buttons on an X-10 Ultrasonic Cordless Controller Remote Control For Command Console CC401. The ultrasonic commands will be picked up by a microphone and transmitted throughout my house using my whole house music system. (Being ultrasonic nobody will hear these signals). I am going to place several BSR System X-10 Ultrasonic Command Console X10-014301 units throughout the house. These will hear rhe ultrasonic commands and place the X-10 signals back onto the powerline, jumping over any bad spots that the XTB could not punch through. X-10 seems to have the best longevity of any HA protocol and I probably won't need to do another protocol swap out any time soon.

11 minutes ago, upstatemike said:

I think I am going to replace my Insteon with X-10. X10.com is still releasing new products and they make In Wall Keypads. I have an XTB-IIR repeater/amplifier/phase coupler so I'm not worried about signal strength but I have a plan to make X-10 dual band anyway. I will use my ISY to control relays on my Elk panel which are wired to buttons on an X-10 Ultrasonic Cordless Controller Remote Control For Command Console CC401. The ultrasonic commands will be picked up by a microphone and transmitted throughout my house using my whole house music system. (Being ultrasonic nobody will hear these signals). I am going to place several BSR System X-10 Ultrasonic Command Console X10-014301 units throughout the house. These will hear rhe ultrasonic commands and place the X-10 signals back onto the powerline, jumping over any bad spots that the XTB could not punch through. X-10 seems to have the best longevity of any HA protocol and I probably won't need to do another protocol swap out any time soon.

Dont forget the flux capacitor to allow x10 to talk directly to wifi and zwave based devices

5 hours ago, mjcumming said:

I am looking into the SONOFF product line. See

SONOFF NSPanel WiFi Smart Scene Switch EU/US Thermostat Temperature All in One Control Touch Screen Work with Google Home, Alexa|Smart Temperature Control System| - AliExpress

Not sure what other switches I would use but that panel looks awesome. Anyone interested in a Poly for this?

15 minutes ago, Tim McDermott said:

Nothing like bringing back the 70's. I had that X-10 BSR ultrasonic remote system in my first apartment. I'm not sure it's something I care to revisit.

The BSR Ultrasonic Command Console was the first piece of Home Automtion gear I ever modified... I changed out the red LED for a yellow one. I still have it and it still works.

1 hour ago, upstatemike said:

The BSR Ultrasonic Command Console was the first piece of Home Automtion gear I ever modified... I changed out the red LED for a yellow one. I still have it and it still works.

Mine died several decades ago. It was amazing for its time. It was certainly an advance over the mechanical "tuning fork" remotes that preceded it. I remember tearing down an old Zenith TV with a Remote Commander to see how it worked. Now I'm really dating myself. 

1 hour ago, Tim McDermott said:

Mine died several decades ago. It was amazing for its time. It was certainly an advance over the mechanical "tuning fork" remotes that preceded it. I remember tearing down an old Zenith TV with a Remote Commander to see how it worked. Now I'm really dating myself. 

We had a Zenith with the tuning fork remote. It was eventually displaced by a color TV. I don't think the color unit even had a remote, but the picture was in color so still cutting edge.

Archived