Migrated from Mojave to Big Sur - Admin Console no longer a separate window

Everything is working EXCEPT one minor detail. I start ISY Launcher as normal, and it finds my ISY. I select admin console, and instead of opening the admin console in a new window it opens it as a tabbed window in the ISY launcher with the Authenticate dialogue floating on top as usual. I can authenticate, and then drag the admin console tab out of the ISY Launcher window so it's a separate window labeled admin console, and size accordingly.

However opening anything that usually results in a dialogue window in the admin console, results in a tabbed window in the admin console that is the size of the admin console  I can't acknowledge or click on any of the elements - and usually get out of the unresponsive dialogue tab with command/esc/return.

How do I fix this behaviour? And where do I find the settings to tell it to open in it's own window, and remember for the next time? (I tried themes and fonts and reset to no avail).

Stumped after exhaustive searches to find any hints or clues.

I've been running the Admin Console under all the various beta and final releases of Big Sur and I've never seen this behavior.  By your description, it sounds like you're running the correct Java application (start.jnlp).  Maybe you need to clear your Java cache and download the app again.  I don't see any Java settings that would make this happen. 

It almost sounds like the app is starting from a web browser using 'http://<ISY-IP-addr>/admin.jnlp' instead of from the standalone 'start.jnlp' application?  Is that possible?

Worked on it for several hours. Cleaning, deleting, playing with all settings, running Java console, closing all running programs....all to no avail. SO I'm stuck with it. There are some dialogues that don't open in a window - and that means I have to Force Quit, since there are no keystrokes/mouse click/ that will close the full sized window.

I'm officially stumped at this point - I have no idea when the ISY software creates a modal window and at other times does not, and creates a separate window. I AM starting from start.jnlp which creates a link on the desktop pointing to: /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/cache/6.0/bundles/ISY Launcher.app. So no, it's not starting from the browser - if only I could reset/set the different windows properties - so that when I select a submenu for a device it opens as a separate window instead of contained in the original window.

Of course this all works fine on my MacBook Air running Mojave instead of Big Sur

image.thumb.png.631331edd21d61a563761e694d328709.png

Java Web Start 11.271.2.09
Using JRE version 1.8.0_271-b09 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
JRE expiration date: 17/02/21 12:00 AM
console.user.home = /Users/stephen
----------------------------------------------------
?   clear console window
f:   finalize objects on finalization queue
g:   garbage collect
h:   display this help message
m:   print memory usage
o:   trigger logging
p:   reload proxy configuration
q:   hide console
r:   reload policy configuration
s:   dump system and deployment properties
t:   dump thread list
v:   dump thread stack
0-5: set trace level to <n>
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /Users/stephen/isy/udi_launcher.state (No such file or directory)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.open(FileInputStream.java:195)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:138)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:93)
    at com.universaldevices.isyfinder.ISYFinder.restoreState(Unknown Source)
    at com.universaldevices.isyfinder.ISYFinder.restoreState(Unknown Source)
    at com.universaldevices.isyfinder.ISYFinder$7.run(Unknown Source)
https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/5.3.0/insteon.jar
https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/5.3.0/ce.jar
https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/5.3.0/chart.jar
https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/5.3.0/fp.jar
https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/5.3.0/RXTX.jar
Dump system properties ...
awt.toolkit = sun.lwawt.macosx.LWCToolkit
file.encoding = UTF-8
file.encoding.pkg = sun.io
file.separator = /
gopherProxySet = false
http.auth.serializeRequests = true
https.protocols = TLSv1.2,TLSv1.1,TLSv1
java.awt.graphicsenv = sun.awt.CGraphicsEnvironment
java.awt.printerjob = sun.lwawt.macosx.CPrinterJob
java.class.path = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/deploy.jar
java.class.version = 52.0
java.endorsed.dirs = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/endorsed
java.ext.dirs = /Users/stephen/Library/Java/Extensions:/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/ext:/Library/Java/Extensions:/Network/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java
java.home = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home
java.io.tmpdir = /var/folders/w0/rbh182vj6p9d2mtr6cb14c8m0000gn/T/
java.library.path = /Users/stephen/Library/Java/Extensions:/Library/Java/Extensions:/Network/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java:.
java.protocol.handler.pkgs = com.sun.javaws.net.protocol|com.sun.deploy.net.protocol|com.sun.deploy.net.protocol
java.rmi.server.RMIClassLoaderSpi = com.sun.jnlp.JNLPRMIClassLoaderSpi
java.runtime.name = Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
java.runtime.version = 1.8.0_271-b09
java.security.manager = 
java.security.policy = file:/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/security/javaws.policy
java.specification.name = Java Platform API Specification
java.specification.vendor = Oracle Corporation
java.specification.version = 1.8
java.vendor = Oracle Corporation
java.vendor.url = http://java.oracle.com/
java.vendor.url.bug = http://bugreport.sun.com/bugreport/
java.version = 1.8.0_271
java.vm.info = mixed mode
java.vm.name = Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
java.vm.specification.name = Java Virtual Machine Specification
java.vm.specification.vendor = Oracle Corporation
java.vm.specification.version = 1.8
java.vm.vendor = Oracle Corporation
java.vm.version = 25.271-b09
javaplugin.proxy.config.type = unknown
javawebstart.version = javaws-11.271.2.09
jnlp.tk = awt
jnlpx.heapsize = NULL,NULL
jnlpx.home = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin
jnlpx.jvm = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java
jnlpx.offline = false
jnlpx.origFilenameArg = /Users/stephen/Downloads/start.jnlp
jnlpx.relaunch = true
jnlpx.remove = false
jnlpx.session.data = 
jnlpx.splashport = -1
jnlpx.vmargs = LVhkZWJ1ZwA=
line.separator = \n
os.arch = x86_64
os.name = Mac OS X
os.version = 10.16
path.separator = :
sun.arch.data.model = 64
sun.awt.enableExtraMouseButtons = true
sun.awt.warmup = true
sun.boot.class.path = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/resources.jar:/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/rt.jar:/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/sunrsasign.jar:/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/jsse.jar:/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/jce.jar:/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/charsets.jar:/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/jfr.jar:/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/classes:/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/javaws.jar:/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/deploy.jar:/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/plugin.jar
sun.boot.library.path = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib
sun.cpu.endian = little
sun.cpu.isalist = 
sun.font.fontmanager = sun.font.CFontManager
sun.io.unicode.encoding = UnicodeBig
sun.java.command = com.sun.javaws.Main -notWebJava /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/cache/6.0/14/7f87040e-1011c439
sun.java.launcher = SUN_STANDARD
sun.jnu.encoding = UTF-8
sun.management.compiler = HotSpot 64-Bit Tiered Compilers
sun.os.patch.level = unknown
trustProxy = true
user.country = CA
user.dir = /Users/stephen
user.home = /Users/stephen
user.language = en
user.name = stephen
user.timezone = America/Toronto
Dump deployment properties ...
active.deployment.proxy.bypass.local = false
active.deployment.proxy.same = false
active.deployment.proxy.type = 3
deployment.baseline.url = https://javadl-esd-secure.oracle.com/update/securitypack.jar
deployment.cache.enabled = true
deployment.cache.jarcompression = 0
deployment.cache.max.size = 4096
deployment.capture.mime.types = false
deployment.console.startup.mode = SHOW
deployment.control.panel.log = false
deployment.expiration.check.enabled = true
deployment.insecure.jres = PROMPT
deployment.javafx.mode.enabled = true
deployment.javapi.cache.update = false
deployment.javapi.lifecycle.exception = false
deployment.javapi.log.filename = 
deployment.javapi.runtime.type = 0
deployment.javapi.stop.timeout = 200
deployment.javapi.trace.filename = 
deployment.javaws.appicon.index = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/cache/6.0/appIcon/appIcon.xml
deployment.javaws.associations = ASK_USER
deployment.javaws.cache.update = false
deployment.javaws.concurrentDownloads = 4
deployment.javaws.install = IF_HINT
deployment.javaws.installURL = http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se
deployment.javaws.logFileName = 
deployment.javaws.muffin.max = 256
deployment.javaws.shortcut = ASK_UNTRUSTED
deployment.javaws.splash.index = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/cache/6.0/splash/splash.xml
deployment.javaws.traceFileName = 
deployment.javaws.uninstall.shortcut = false
deployment.javaws.update.timeout = 1500
deployment.javaws.viewer.bounds = 651,463,1083,360
deployment.jpi.mode.new = true
deployment.log = false
deployment.macosx.check.update = true
deployment.max.output.file.size = 10
deployment.max.output.files = 5
deployment.mime.types.use.default = true
deployment.modified.timestamp = 1606370236112
deployment.proxy.bypass.local = false
deployment.proxy.override.hosts = 
deployment.proxy.same = false
deployment.proxy.type = 3
deployment.relaunch.increment.debug.port = true
deployment.security.SSLv2Hello = false
deployment.security.SSLv3 = false
deployment.security.TLSv1 = true
deployment.security.TLSv1.1 = true
deployment.security.TLSv1.2 = true
deployment.security.TLSv1.3 = false
deployment.security.askgrantdialog.notinca = true
deployment.security.askgrantdialog.show = true
deployment.security.authenticator = true
deployment.security.blacklist.check = true
deployment.security.browser.keystore.use = true
deployment.security.clientauth.keystore.auto = true
deployment.security.disable = false
deployment.security.esl.override.native.sandbox = false
deployment.security.https.warning.show = false
deployment.security.jsse.hostmismatch.warning = true
deployment.security.level = VERY_HIGH
deployment.security.local.applets = PROMPT
deployment.security.mixcode = ENABLE
deployment.security.notinca.warning = true
deployment.security.password.cache = true
deployment.security.permissions.manifest.required = true
deployment.security.revocation.check = ALL_CERTIFICATES
deployment.security.run.untrusted = PROMPT
deployment.security.sandbox.awtwarningwindow = true
deployment.security.sandbox.casigned = PROMPT
deployment.security.sandbox.jnlp.enhanced = true
deployment.security.sandbox.selfsigned = PROMPT
deployment.security.tls.revocation.check = ALL_CERTIFICATES
deployment.security.tls.validation.crl = true
deployment.security.tls.validation.ocsp = true
deployment.security.trusted.policy = 
deployment.security.use.insecure.launcher = false
deployment.security.use.native.sandbox = false
deployment.security.use.user.home.java.policy = false
deployment.security.validation.crl = true
deployment.security.validation.ocsp = true
deployment.security.validation.ocsp.publisher = false
deployment.system.security.blacklist = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/security/blacklist
deployment.system.security.cacerts = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts
deployment.system.security.jssecacerts = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/security/jssecacerts
deployment.system.security.oldcacerts = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/security/cacerts
deployment.system.security.oldjssecacerts = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/security/jssecacerts
deployment.system.security.trusted.certs = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/security/trusted.certs
deployment.system.security.trusted.clientauthcerts = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/security/trusted.clientcerts
deployment.system.security.trusted.jssecerts = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/security/trusted.jssecerts
deployment.system.security.trusted.libraries = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/lib/security/trusted.libraries
deployment.system.tray.icon = false
deployment.trace = false
deployment.update.mime.types = true
deployment.user.cachedir = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/cache
deployment.user.extdir = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/ext
deployment.user.logdir = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/log
deployment.user.logfile = jcp.trace
deployment.user.logfile.append = false
deployment.user.security.blacklist = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/security/blacklist
deployment.user.security.blacklist.dynamic = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/security/blacklist.dynamic
deployment.user.security.blacklisted.certs = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/security/blacklisted.certs
deployment.user.security.exception.sites = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/security/exception.sites
deployment.user.security.policy = file://Users/stephen/Library/Application%20Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/security/java.policy
deployment.user.security.sandbox.certs = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/security/sandbox.certs
deployment.user.security.saved.credentials = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/security/auth.dat
deployment.user.security.trusted.cacerts = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/security/trusted.cacerts
deployment.user.security.trusted.certs = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/security/trusted.certs
deployment.user.security.trusted.clientauthcerts = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/security/trusted.clientcerts
deployment.user.security.trusted.jssecacerts = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/security/trusted.jssecacerts
deployment.user.security.trusted.jssecerts = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/security/trusted.jssecerts
deployment.user.security.trusted.libraries = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/security/trusted.libraries
deployment.user.tmp = /Users/stephen/Library/Application Support/Oracle/Java/Deployment/tmp
deployment.version = 8
deployment.webjava.enabled = true
Done.

image.thumb.png.913414f6b76d0adc10a1c82d37f6f76a.pngimage.thumb.png.7b3c9553a04b277ae1b9beefa0b44083.png

This is the closest I've come to solving/fixing, by following this:

Admin Console Minimized/Invisible and Cannot be Restored

This is usually related Admin Console state files not being updated properly and especially in case of multi monitors. All you need to do is to find the following files in Java temp directory (on Windows: c:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Local\Temp) and delete them. Or, you can simply search the computer for udi_*.* file patterns:

• udi_tree.state
  • udi_frame.state
  • udi_pgm.state
  • udi_finder.state
  • udi_launcher.state

Archived