Admin console crashes while loading.

RF_Burns

I know there is likely another posting that cover's this, but after 2 hours of searching and trying things I still can't find my issue.

Please bear with me, I've had an ISY99 now upgraded to an ISY994 that has been working fine for a few years... and still is.   I haven't done anything with it for the past couple of years while battling cancer. The treatments has left me with "chemo brain" that messes with your memory and desire to even get things done.

Anyway, I finally got around to adding a couple more keypad switches.  When I try to get into the Admin Console to set them up and program them, I get as far as logging in and it starts loading... then flashes a couple of switches that are now dead... then I think an error and the program crashes.  The fact that I get into it and I get past the log in says to me I'm connected and into the ISY. It crashes while loading the devices, or maybe checking their current state.

I've checked the Jave version and it is up to date.

The only thing I've changed is my virus software, but I get into the ISY so I don't think its that

I can get into the ISY Dashboard but it locks up so I was able to get a screen capture of the errors. 

Any ideas?

ISY Dashboard.jpg

Seems almost too much a coincidence that my Admin Console  (on Win 10)  is also crashing today.     I haven't had an Admin Console shortcut icon for some time, another problem, so I right click on my ISY MAC in the ISY Finder window after it opens, and that allows me to select Admin Console.  Then as the console  starts up, it allows me to sign in, then it flashes a microsecond-long error message before crashing.    After multiple tries, I've figured out that the message that flashes up is "I/O Error: Proxy Device" 

I've tried getting in to the dashboard instead of Admin Console, and it gives similar errors.  When I come in on the browser interface to my ISY's local IP address I can see my devices and even control them, but no ability to edit, or program in that interface.   My Mobilinc iphone app and Alexa connections still work fine, so the iSY itself would seem to be working.

There are some very old threads on these items, but none of those suggestions have worked for me so far.      Admin Console starts and  runs intermittently and in the past I've done multiple removals and updates of Java to get it to even run  (as well as emptying the Java cache).   I reinstalled Java this time too, and made sure the cache was empty... no improvement.

If I don't get any good suggestions here, my next attempt will be to do a factory reset of the ISY, but that's a bit extreme, so waiting a bit.

Gary

Shawnigan Lake, BC

Gary,

That does sound a bit strange.  I don't have mine setup for remote access... no do I have anything fancy like Smart speakers.  Just a few Insteon switches and keypads.  I haven't done an update of the ISY firmware for a while.

ISY finder reports I'm running firmware 4.6.2

So this morning I tried again, The admin Console loads up but gives an error "I/0 Error Proxy Device".  I can turn ON/OFF the couple of switches I tried, but it does not display the current status of any device and all the switches I checked show the initial level as 0% and the Ramp Rate as 9 minutes.

So its like it cannot read the current status and settings.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having this exact same problem, started in the same timeframe.

I've tried upgrading my ISY 994 from 4.7.1 to 5.2, ,factory reset, reformatted the storage, all no fix.

I even ordered a new ISY 994, came with 4.8, exact same problem on both units with all three firmware versions.

Dashboard errors look just like yours, Admin Console crashes.

• 1 month later...

I can't get anywhere close to a working admin console anymore..from any of my laptops/desktop machines.
Either the web browser pops up the annoying "Java 2+ Required" (which i've installed java multiple times now), or the admin.jnlp method will pop up long enough to let me log in.. quickly display an error message (too quick to read) and then crash.

(for the love of all things holy: please move away from "java"... anytime there's an update, everything breaks, and I'm stuck troubleshooting again)

3 hours ago, chjaway said:

I can't get anywhere close to a working admin console anymore..from any of my laptops/desktop machines.
Either the web browser pops up the annoying "Java 2+ Required" (which i've installed java multiple times now), or the admin.jnlp method will pop up long enough to let me log in.. quickly display an error message (too quick to read) and then crash.

(for the love of all things holy: please move away from "java"... anytime there's an update, everything breaks, and I'm stuck troubleshooting again)

Have you tried The Launcher?  it acts as a middleman kind of and ensures you are launching the correct version of the admin console.

Follow the instructions in the first post of this thread:

ALso just to double check, did you install java from www.java.com and press download.  That  also ensures you get the corrrect version of the Java Runtime, you don't need to the full SDK.

4 hours ago, chjaway said:

If you have Have correctly installed as @MrBillsuggested, then it's most likely a firewall issue. Look in the Wiki here:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#Admin_Console_Closes_Automatically

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, Dinh Nguyen said:

@MrBilldid you solve this Java 2+ required issue yet? I have the same problem. I think it is caused by the recent Java update.  Let me know if you know how to solve this.  I am using:

- Windows 10

- ISY994i version 4.5.4

Thanks

I'm not the one that was having a problem above, so I wasn't trying to solve it, I made a suggestion that the person should be using "The Launcher" and linked the thread that contains it.  If using "The Launcher" (start.jnlp) as I linked and you've also checked this issues that @DennisC linked then you could perhaps uninstall Java, remove any remaining working directories that Java creates, then re-install java making sure that you are using the download from https://www.java.com   Or you might open a ticket by emailing support@universal-devices.com for personalized help.  

If you're using admin.jnlp make certain you are using the correct version.   "The Launcher" (or start.jnlp) is the more modern and better method however it does require an internet connection to work.

Archived