ISY not found in ISY Launcher

Hi gang,

I haven't logged into my console in over 6 months.  I used the ISY Launcher today, and it doesn't see my ISY.  I rebooted the unit and the lights look correct, and there is network activity. The ISY is controlling the lights as well.  Not sure what I've done wrong.

Mac OS 10.15.7

Is there a basic troubleshooting guide?

Thanks!

Ok, I may have found a clue.  According to my router, it would seem that the ISY has a static IP that is in the 10.0.x.x block, and my router DHCP is assigning addresses in the 192.x.x.x block.  The ISY is the only device connected with an IP address in the 10.0.x.x block.  Will try to troubleshoot from there.

Cheers!

Spoke too soon.  The ISY doesn't want to let go of its previous static IP.  I have tried changing the network settings, but the unit does not seem to complete the reboot cycle.  When I unplug/replug the reboot completes, but with the old IP settings.  None of the changes seem to stick.  Any ideas?

Cheers!

1 hour ago, to_lighter said:

Ok, I switched my laptop over to a static IP in the 10.0.x.x block and the ISY showed up nicely.  Now I have it set to grab a non-static address.  Is there any reason that the ISY would need a static address?

Cheers!

The best way is to use an automatic DHCP assigned by your router. 

1 minute ago, to_lighter said:

Spoke too soon.  The ISY doesn't want to let go of its previous static IP.  I have tried changing the network settings, but the unit does not seem to complete the reboot cycle.  When I unplug/replug the reboot completes, but with the old IP settings.  None of the changes seem to stick.  Any ideas?

Cheers!

Try the procedure below to gain access. Once you are able to connect, set up automatic DHCP. Sometimes static IP results in DNS issues.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Assign_a_Static_IP_Address

13 minutes ago, DennisC said:

Try the procedure below to gain access. Once you are able to connect, set up automatic DHCP. Sometimes static IP results in DNS issues.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Assign_a_Static_IP_Address

Thanks.  No problem finding the IP address (it's a static IP).  The difficulty is getting the ISY to reboot and maintain the revised IP settings.

Cheers!

I had a router that wouldn't allow any access to a device outside of it's assign IP address block.

IOW: You could not access any device with 10.0.0.xx address in a router set to 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.255. I think it would assume it was on the WAN and routers don't allow LAN addresses through the router firewall onto the WAN.

10 hours ago, to_lighter said:

Thanks.  No problem finding the IP address (it's a static IP).  The difficulty is getting the ISY to reboot and maintain the revised IP settings.

Cheers!

Are you checking the DHCP check box? If you do this, your router will assign the IP and then you can reserve that IP in your router so it doesn't change.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.  The problem is, my ISY doesn't want to let me change the network settings!  I check the DHCP box, let it reboot, and there it is with the same static IP as before!  I've tried clearing all the network settings (IP, subnet, gateway, DNS) and then clicked DHCP.  Again, on reboot the old network settings are still there.  Am I somehow accessing the ISY incorrectly?  How do I get the new IP settings to stick?

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, to_lighter said:

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.  The problem is, my ISY doesn't want to let me change the network settings!  I check the DHCP box, let it reboot, and there it is with the same static IP as before!  I've tried clearing all the network settings (IP, subnet, gateway, DNS) and then clicked DHCP.  Again, on reboot the old network settings are still there.  Am I somehow accessing the ISY incorrectly?  How do I get the new IP settings to stick?

Cheers!

Are you are pushing the "Save" button at the bottom of the Network Settings box before rebooting?

image.png.b33fd69a06f95a1459cc56c20ddc3062.png

Well, life is a bit better.  The ISY is now accessible from my computers on our usual network and seems to be working normally.  However it is stuck with a static IP address.  When I clear the network settings and click DHCP and reboot, the ISY will reboot but keeps the static IP.  Not sure how to make it accept the DHCP settings.  

Archived