Decisions I need to make before embarking on the Smart Home project.

My goals:

1) Make outdoor light switches controllable from multiple locations and subject to automated on/off switching according to daylight hours.

2) Improve functionality for some improperly installed 2 and 3 way switches (currently only turn off and on if switches at multiple locations). 

3) Add additional locations for some switches by using keypads.

4) Add switching capability to some lighting outlets (and media area to control children's usage).

5) Make some use of scenes to control multiple outputs (vacation lighting, all off switch, remote backyard lighting control, Low level night lighting for trip to kitchen, etc...) 

6) Future capability to include some security features, temp and water sensors, notification?

7) Preferably able to include control for wifi devices and switches, and with a good android compatible controlling app.

Concerns:

1) Cost and Reliability/longevity. Many switches such as closets, utility rooms bathrooms probably aren't worth the cost/effort as no real functionality gain. Infrequently used switches may make sense to convert if I can expect them to last the lifetime of my occupancy, but not if there is a 10% a year attrition rate on all switches.

2) Compatibility between manufacturers and standards. I would like to not be locked in to one proprietary standard and then have to replace everything in the future as opposed to incremental upgrades.

3) Local control. I don't want to open my house to google, amazon or any other company with no real oversight. I want to have everything controlled/controllable myself even when offline, make changes myself, no blackbox system installed by a company I need to call out every time I need a change.   

So far I liked what I've read about the UD ISY system and think it would fit the bill. Am I correct in this assumption or are there better options? Do I need to plan to stick to a single platform, say Insteon versus say Lutron? Can you mix and match should some become unavailable in the future (I've heard about potential longevity issues with Insteon)? Timely advice would be helpful as there are holliday sales I would like to take advantage of.

Id peruse the forums and look at all the other recent posts on the subject. 

No electronic switch will last forever. I'd assume 5 to 10 years max in the consumer market. 10 pushing the limits. High end systems could potentially last longer..... Then again you're comparing a $50 switch to a $200+ switch. 

Zwave would be your best bet in regards to openness. However that doesn't mean it'll be that way in 5+ years. In my opinion, that should be the least of your concerns. Buy for today as tomorrow isn't promised. There could be something else in that time or you may be different in what you're looking for.

Even with me, in my next home i plan on going with Control4 in my next home. As much as I hate the cost, i love the look and capability. What I'm looking for insteon nor zwave supplies. As you and your situation changes so will your outlook. Buying for tomorrow's ideas is a waste.

Purchasing a Z-Wave enabled controller with the Polyisy Pro. Will not only future proof you but allows you to integrate a hybrid environment selecting hardware you like.

The above hardware allows both local first while allowing you to integrate with cloud only services & hardware.

It’s a win - win . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked into the connect4 system, but over the next year or 2 I've got a 40k deck and 50k roof to replace. I forgot how much the connect4 was going to be, but it was significantly more than I wanted to invest. I also didn't like that you are locked out from doing the programming of scene's.  For example, I have about 12 WiFi controlled plugin modules (Ecoplug) that do many of the jobs. Setting up vacation light schedules, controlling landscape lights, locking media devices from kids (or at least it used to until they found that they could manually bypass), etc...   It would be nice to integrate this with more sophisticated scene programming and wall switches, but it's not worth 1000's of dollars to me to do so. Similarly, I don't mind replacing a device or two every year as they wear out, although I certainly would limit devices to switches which truly benefit from external controll and not those which it might be nice once or twice a year to have connected. The biggest issue is not being locked into a given environment where one would need to reinstall multiple switches at once, but preferably a system in which devices can be continually replaced or upgraded including to different manufacturers as technology and capabilities improve.

I was unaware of the Polyisy Pro. While reading up on their site, there was a comment about integrating it with your ISY controller. Is it an add on or does it independently replace the ISY controller? It looks like they're on backorder so I guess I have time to research more, but the number of supported manufacturers so far is reassuring. I did not however see Insteon listed as a supported Node server.

4 minutes ago, carealtor said:

I'm in no way disagreeing with you, but I am curious what capability you are referring to?  I want for (almost) nothing in my system, but maybe I'm missing out on something.

The lighting element that comes with engraving. You can set the ambiant lighting so that as you approach the switches, it will light up according to your settings. Ion addition to that, you can set the color. 

The switches can be either a dimmer or relay as well

The biggest though is the integration with AV systems. It's too notch.

If you are retrofitting a home, you might also want to consider what types of LED lights you have or will have.  Dimming LED replacement bulbs does not work the same way as incandescent, and when you want a warm, dim feel it is really a compromise.  For 1% dimming (which is pretty important for many spaces), 0-10V dimming is one option, but it requires the extra control wires; "smart" fixtures add $50+ cost to each fixture, but can generally work with your existing wiring.  

I bought a house that has a LOT of MR16 lighting, which is very hard to get nice retrofit LED dimming without replacing the 12V transformers in each fixture.

Archived