Trouble finding IP address for isy994i

I have read a lot of the forums here about how to find the IP address for the isy994i, but every time I try to, it brings me to a page where it says Java 2+ is required even though I installed the latest Java and cleared the cache and all that. I purchased my home over the summer that had the lights set up a certain way, and I was attempting to make them more suitable for what I prefer and now one of dimmer switches isn't working at all. The LED lights on the side are completely off on one side, while the other one is lit up and moves, but the light isn't turning on. I am worried that I broke it for good so I am trying to get hooked up to monitor everything through my computer but I can't get it to work.

Since this is something that is from a previous user, I am wondering if it is better to buy myself a new one and start over?

1 hour ago, LMcGrath said:

I have read a lot of the forums here about how to find the IP address for the isy994i, but every time I try to, it brings me to a page where it says Java 2+ is required even though I installed the latest Java and cleared the cache and all that. I purchased my home over the summer that had the lights set up a certain way, and I was attempting to make them more suitable for what I prefer and now one of dimmer switches isn't working at all. The LED lights on the side are completely off on one side, while the other one is lit up and moves, but the light isn't turning on. I am worried that I broke it for good so I am trying to get hooked up to monitor everything through my computer but I can't get it to work.

Since this is something that is from a previous user, I am wondering if it is better to buy myself a new one and start over?

Do you know what the firmware version is on your ISY

Click on this link which will install the Admin console launcher icon on your desktop. Once installed, click on the icon to open your admin console.  

https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp

2 hours ago, LMcGrath said:

The LED lights on the side are completely off on one side, while the other one is lit up and moves, but the light isn't turning on.

The LEDs you are referring to are on the dimmers correct?  Are the 2 dimmers in a 3way circuit?  In other words the 2 dimmers are supposed to control the same light?  If that's true then the dimmer that is dead maybe controlling the load and while the other is working but unable to operate the light.  Are these Insteon dimmers?  If so make sure the small button is pushed in and not sticking out.  Maybe the circuit breaker is tripped?

Screenshot 2020-12-17 140828.jpg

I would not be quick to simply buy another one.  My experience is that they just keep running.  

I think the best option is, as suggested by mecheng70, to find your ip address from the router.  Alternatively, I believe you can find it from a terminal or command prompt, but this would vary depending on your computer OS.  

I am also unclear whether the "https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp" option will work on older versions of the ISY software.  I don't think there is any harm in trying it, but don't be too discouraged if it does not work on yours.  Hopefully, it will work.

2 hours ago, LMcGrath said:

Even if you can't get the admin console to work, you should be able to get into the isy directly from your browser.

1) Log into your router and look for the ip addresses assigned by your dhcp server.  You should be able to find an address assigned to the ISY.

2) Type this address into you browser and the ISY web page should pop up.  You will need the userid and password for the ISY.  Default is admin/admin.

3) If this works your ISY is OK.  From there type this address into the launcher after pushing the "ADD" button if doesn't show up on its own.

7 minutes ago, palayman said:

Even if you can't get the admin console to work, you should be able to get into the isy directly from your browser.

1) Log into your router and look for the ip addresses assigned by your dhcp server.  You should be able to find an address assigned to the ISY.

2) Type this address into you browser and the ISY web page should pop up.  You will need the userid and password for the ISY.  Default is admin/admin.

3) If this works your ISY is OK.  From there type this address into the launcher after pushing the "ADD" button if doesn't show up on its own.

I have no idea how to do any of that. I have no way of knowing if I even have a dhcp server because I can't log into anything. I have downloaded the admin console but it won't open properly - or when it did, it was coming up as ISY finder which I do not think is the same thing?

45 minutes ago, tmorse305 said:

The LEDs you are referring to are on the dimmers correct?  Are the 2 dimmers in a 3way circuit?  In other words the 2 dimmers are supposed to control the same light?  If that's true then the dimmer that is dead maybe controlling the load and while the other is working but unable to operate the light.  Are these Insteon dimmers?  If so make sure the small button is pushed in and not sticking out.  Maybe the circuit breaker is tripped?

Screenshot 2020-12-17 140828.jpg

The dimmer in question has two switches on two separate panels that control the same light. The other switches in the panels control different lights or a fan. I have tried pulling out the set button, waiting 10 seconds, then pushing it back in and holding for 3 seconds but nothing. I've noticed the switch where the LED lights are off completely, the light only comes back on when I press the set button, but nothing else happens.

9 minutes ago, LMcGrath said:

I have no idea how to do any of that. I have no way of knowing if I even have a dhcp server because I can't log into anything. I have downloaded the admin console but it won't open properly - or when it did, it was coming up as ISY finder which I do not think is the same thing?

You must have a router to connect to the internet and provide the wireless you are probably using to get online and contact this forum.

Typical address of you router is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 .  You will need to have the userid and password for this.  If you can identify the type of router you have someone here can probably help you to find the dhcp table.  Otherwise, take a pic and post to thread and someone will help.

8 minutes ago, palayman said:

A good question, although the finder had trouble finding my newest ISY until I fed it the address.

Same.  and I have a reservation set in the router so I can always find it. 

We probably should also be asking OP what router they are using as maybe we can give hints on how to login to the router interface to find the address. 

I've noticed the switch where the LED lights are off completely, the light only comes back on when I press the set button, but nothing else happens.

What light comes on when you press the set button, the LEDs or the light the switch is controlling?  In any event it sounds like there is power at the switch.  Try a factory reset.

Wall Switches & Keypads

1. Disconnect your Wall Switch or Keypad from power by pulling the set button out

2. Press and hold the set button

3. Continue holding the set button until the beep stops If your device does not beep, hold the set button for ten seconds

4. Release the set button. You should hear two beeps confirming that your Wall Switch or Keypad has been reset

Just now, tmorse305 said:

What light comes on when you press the set button, the LEDs or the light the switch is controlling?  In any event it sounds like there is power at the switch.  Try a factory reset.

Wall Switches & Keypads

1. Disconnect your Wall Switch or Keypad from power by pulling the set button out

2. Press and hold the set button

3. Continue holding the set button until the beep stops If your device does not beep, hold the set button for ten seconds

4. Release the set button. You should hear two beeps confirming that your Wall Switch or Keypad has been reset

When I press the set button, the LED light comes on at the bottom, but shuts off as soon as I release it. And I have tried the factory reset multiple times and it hasn't fixed it

3 minutes ago, LMcGrath said:

When I press the set button, the LED light comes on at the bottom, but shuts off as soon as I release it. And I have tried the factory reset multiple times and it hasn't fixed it

What you described in an earlier post might not be a factory reset, that's why I included the instructions in case you were not familiar with the process.  Do you hear any beeps? You might need to hold set button longer than 3 seconds to hear the beeps when you release it.

Archived