I blew up my sytem when I tried 5.3.0

I saw the post for the Android App and had to have it.  My ISY was running 4.something and the App required higher. I manually downloaded 5.3.0. I was having difficulty getting the admin console upgraded. Start.jnlp only downloaded start.jnlp over again. I'd figure that out later, I told myself. The Android app is wonderful. Later that day, I discovered none of my programs would run. Looking at device communications in the event viewer, when I would call for a "run then" command, all that happened was a time update. This is where I got stupid. I downloaded 4.8.0 thinking I could go back. Now I try to run the admin console, I get a white box that says error and no other information. If I try to connect via 192.168.1.110/admin.jnlp i get an unable to connect.

I am looking for a procedure to re-establish communications with my ISY. My house is dark and my wife is pissed.

Thank you

Just now, btwinc said:

Yes, I must have done a dozen ISY updates over the years. I'm surprised that 5.3.0 didn't pop up as an automatic update.

Be that as it may, I still need a plan to reconnect with my ISY so I can start over.

V4 to V5 is a manual update and requires intervention for some items.  Did you read the instructions at all?

It seems that when I cleared the Java Cache, I did something else to corrupt Java. I had entered the java runtime change as instructed. I removed the java runtime value and re-installed Java. All good as UD994 v.4.8.0 and UI 4.6.2.

I'm going to start over on 5.3.0 and try to leave Java alone this time.

Thanks for the help.

22 minutes ago, btwinc said:

All good as UD994 v.4.8.0 and UI 4.6.2.

Those MUST ALWAYS match (there may not be much difference between 4.8.0 and 4.6.2 so it probably works ok in that case, but the rule should always be followed...Firmware and UI should match version wise).  To automatically open the correct UI use the launcher instead of the admin console directly.

When you are ready to try V5 again, Use the V5.3.1 admin console located here, to start the upgrade: https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/5.3.1/admin.jnlp

On 1/16/2021 at 11:57 AM, MrBill said:

When you are ready to try V5 again, Use the V5.3.1 admin console located here, to start the upgrade: https://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/5.3.1/admin.jnlp

@MrBill doesn't the launcher work with 5.3.1? Why would we need to get the specific one for 5.3.1? I haven't ventured into 5.x upgrade yet, but have had this lingering question. Since launcher is supposed to be UI/FW auto-match why wouldn't that just work in the upgrade process? Just to be sure it's really needed rather than just relying on the ISY Launcher version.

1 hour ago, Geddy said:

@MrBill doesn't the launcher work with 5.3.1? Why would we need to get the specific one for 5.3.1? I haven't ventured into 5.x upgrade yet, but have had this lingering question. Since launcher is supposed to be UI/FW auto-match why wouldn't that just work in the upgrade process? Just to be sure it's really needed rather than just relying on the ISY Launcher version.

Yes but to upgrade from a version less that 5.0.9 you must use a later admin console to perform upgrade.  Then you can go back to using the Launcher.

Per the installation instructions for the later v5.x versions: "You must use the 5.0.9 Admin Console or greater to upgrade to this release (5.3.0)."

In a different recent post Michel gave the URL to the 5.3.1 console suggesting if it was used it would ask you to upgrade the firmware:

Archived