Clone ISY SD card

hart2hart

10 hours ago, hart2hart said:

Which is correct?

I noted that in my Feb 6th post in this thread. 

I really also am still wondering what's included vs not included in the restored backup.  

If all else fails I'll find a block of time to set up a test... I have another new memory card, and a second ISY.   This time I can be more methodical and record more observations since I know what to watch for.

I noted that in my Feb 6th post in this thread. 
I really also am still wondering what's included vs not included in the restored backup.  
If all else fails I'll find a block of time to set up a test... I have another new memory card, and a second ISY.   This time I can be more methodical and record more observations since I know what to watch for.

I would appreciate it if you could just clone the old media to the new one. From there insert the same into the test unit and let us know the outcome of pass / fail.

I have to order another 32 Micro SD cards for a small project. But won’t be able to receive them for another few weeks.
26 minutes ago, Teken said:

I would appreciate it if you could just clone the old media to the new one. From there insert the same into the test unit and let us know the outcome of pass / fail.

I have to order another 32 Micro SD cards for a small project. But won’t be able to receive them for another few weeks.

With the first experiment I want to follow the directions in the wiki and find the failure points.   The point being there should be instructions that can be followed without guessing what to do next, or guessing what additional parameters need to be set or adjusted after restoring a backup.

After that I can experiment further with ideas such as yours.  I do actually have two  new microSD cards.  I suspect the reason that you did NOT have the problem with missing parameters is exactly because you placed an image on the card first. 

With the first experiment I want to follow the directions in the wiki and find the failure points.   The point being there should be instructions that can be followed without guessing what to do next, or guessing what additional parameters need to be set or adjusted after restoring a backup.
After that I can experiment further with ideas such as yours.  I do actually have two  new microSD cards.  I suspect the reason that you did NOT have the problem with missing parameters is exactly because you placed an image on the card first. 

True, as my hand was forced to do so. Anyone who has ever sat across a monitor to see the finder / launcher blank knows this pain!

If you can’t even see the controller to login there’s no way to complete any of the other steps!

[mention]Michel Kohanim [/mention]

I know we have beat this to death but which is correct?

Direct from the wiki:

“SKIP if a new SD Card
Format the SD Card - you do NOT' have to format the SD Card if it's new
Telnet To Your ISY
Login with the admin password
Issue "FS" to format the SD Card, answer the "Are you sure question" with an upper case "Y"
Please note: the ISY works with both FAT 16/32, but FS function formats it specifically for use with ISY with some performance improvements so its preferred you use this method.”

The wiki appears to contradict itself. It says “SKIP if a new SD Card” and “FS function formats it specifically for use with ISY with some performance improvements so its preferred you use this method.”

5 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@hart2hart,

If new, you don't need to format.

With kind regards,
Michel

Thanks so much.  I just completed the process of moving to a new 16GB Industrial grade SanDisk card.  Hopefully, this was good preventative maintenance that will get me to the new era when as it appears Insteon may be a NodeServer on the POLISY.

I followed the instructions in the wikis and did not format the SD card and all is back. The username and password, timezone, and email server were reset to default which I think is because The ISY asked if I wanted to replaced the current config with the new config and since both were the same, I said yes.  I have a strong feeling that If I'd said No then the 3 items that went back to default would have remained at correct values.

Thanks @Michel Kohanim and team as always. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Teken

i recently had an issue with a corrupt backup.  I know this is an old post but if you see this could you let me know how big your new backup file is after you copied the files to your new sd card.  

I ended up with a corrupt backup with a file size of 5MB but what I did may not have been the same process you followed.  

Thanks

Note. I did not follow the Wiki and got myself in trouble. 

Teken
i recently had an issue with a corrupt backup.  I know this is an old post but if you see this could you let me know how big your new backup file is after you copied the files to your new sd card.  
I ended up with a corrupt backup with a file size of 5MB but what I did may not have been the same process you followed.  
Thanks

Hi Larry,

To be honest I don’t recall the file size and would offer to you it would vary with each person’s environment so that isn’t a good metric to go on.

Sorry to hear you need to go through this process. Let us know how it all turns out good / bad.

Get into the most comfortable shorts, t shirt, chair. Grab a tall glass of your favourite beverage and let the process unfold!
Teken
Thanks

Is your ISY backup file corrupt or the SD card?

A little more explanation. 

I removed my SD card from the ISY and copied the files to my PC.  I then formatted a new and larger SD card on my PC and then copied the previously copied files to this larger card.  I have been running like this for 3 years or so.

My backups after doing this were in the range of 5MB.  Based on what I have learned recently, backup files sizes should be measured in KB rather than MB.

I am running just fine now after Michel fixed my card.  He removed some Windows files that were written to the card when I formatted and copied the files back to the new card. 

My backup now is 310kb rather than 5MB.

My question to the Teken, if he was able to remember, was how large his backups were, since as I understand what he did, he could not follow the Wiki Process for replacing a corrupted SD card.  More curiosity than anything since I running fine now.

Lesson Learned:  Follow the Wiki when you want to replace your SD card on the ISY.  Just copying your old SD card to your PC and then copying those files back to a new card will just cause you problems in the future.

Can't say enough about the support I got from Michel.  I was responsible for Customer Service in my past life and he understands exceeding Customer Expectations.

A little more explanation. 
I removed my SD card from the ISY and copied the files to my PC.  I then formatted a new and larger SD card on my PC and then copied the previously copied files to this larger card.  I have been running like this for 3 years or so.
My backups after doing this were in the range of 5MB.  Based on what I have learned recently, backup files sizes should be measured in KB rather than MB.
I am running just fine now after Michel fixed my card.  He removed some Windows files that were written to the card when I formatted and copied the files back to the new card. 
My backup now is 310kb rather than 5MB.
My question to the Teken, if he was able to remember, was how large his backups were, since as I understand what he did, he could not follow the Wiki Process for replacing a corrupted SD card.  More curiosity than anything since I running fine now.
Lesson Learned:  Follow the Wiki when you want to replace your SD card on the ISY.  Just copying your old SD card to your PC and then copying those files back to a new card will just cause you problems in the future.
Can't say enough about the support I got from Michel.  I was responsible for Customer Service in my past life and he understands exceeding Customer Expectations.

Agreed. Michel and UDI are the very best I’ve ever worked with!

Archived