Z-Wave Dongle Not Responding

jblackst5000

My PLM died a week ago and I purchased a new one. I followed the instruction on how to swap out a PLM and do a "PLM Restore". Everything seemed to work but for some reason I lost my Z-Wave connection. I installed the 5.0 version of the Z-Wave Dongle to my ISY 994i about 3 years ago. Now when I launch my Admin Console and click on Z-Wave it tell me that Z-wave is not responding.

Is thee a way to re-set the Z-wave dongle so it will connect again? I was thinking about removing it and installing it back inside my ISY.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

39 minutes ago, jblackst5000 said:

My PLM died a week ago and I purchased a new one. I followed the instruction on how to swap out a PLM and do a "PLM Restore". Everything seemed to work but for some reason I lost my Z-Wave connection. I installed the 5.0 version of the Z-Wave Dongle to my ISY 994i about 3 years ago. Now when I launch my Admin Console and click on Z-Wave it tell me that Z-wave is not responding.

Is thee a way to re-set the Z-wave dongle so it will connect again? I was thinking about removing it and installing it back inside my ISY.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

From the wiki here:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Users:V5:ZWave:Advanced_User_Guide:NodeMenu

I think I would try this:

Repair Links

Rewrites all the associations and other related settings to the Z-Wave device

Remove Failed Node

If a Z-Wave device is no longer available for any reason then this command can be used to forcibly remove it from the Z-Wave network. The device will not be removed if it still responds to messages sent to it.

Replace Failed Node

If a Z-Wave device is no longer available for any reason then this command can be used to forcibly replace it from the Z-Wave network. The device will not be replaced if it still responds to messages sent to it.

Thanks Dennis

I tried wiki and nothing is said what to do if your z-wave dongle is not responding. I am hoping someone has run across the same situation. It is possible I am going to need to purchase a new z-wave dongle and install that. I just don't know why it would happen the same time I was replacing my PLM.

Hi Mr. Bill,

I am running 5.0.16C. Yes the U.I. version matches. I cannot check my Z-wave version because nothing happens when I click on "Z-Wave Dongle not responding"

When I do help about it says my Z-Wave version is 21090.

I did not update my ISY's firmware when I was making the PLM change.

Thanks for your help.

28 minutes ago, jblackst5000 said:

I am running 5.0.16C. Yes the U.I. version matches. I cannot check my Z-wave version because nothing happens when I click on "Z-Wave Dongle not responding"

When I do help about it says my Z-Wave version is 21090.

I did not update my ISY's firmware when I was making the PLM change.

The reason for all those questions is because the Z-wave dongle had a hardware change.  V5.0.16C is the final version that works with the original 300 series board.  The newer 500 series board is required for ISY firmware versions beyond 5.0.16C.   So this puts you in the category of "it seems like you shouldn't be having this problem".

Since you stated "I cannot check my Z-wave version because nothing happens when I click on "Z-Wave Dongle not responding" I think you should open a ticket with UDI support, you can do that by emailing support@universal-devices.com

For what its worth: had the Z-wave | Z-wave version check worked.... Series 300 board reply version 4.55.00, series 500 boards reply with version 6.81.00.  Another way to identify a 300 series board is to look at the back of your ISY, if you see a round circle next to Port A then shine your phones flashlight at that and see if it's really a blue LED (assuming the blue LED not lit up which of course makes it obvious)...If you have a blue LED next to port A then that is a series 300 board.

Hi Mr Bill, I am sure that I have the newer 500 daughter board. That is why I updated my firmware to 5.0.16C. Do you think I would have any problems if I updated again to the just release 5.3.2? I know they made quite a few Z-wave improvements with that version.

I might get lucky and my Z-wave dongle will start responding again.

Thanks so much for all your help.

14 minutes ago, jblackst5000 said:

Hi Mr Bill, I am sure that I have the newer 500 daughter board. That is why I updated my firmware to 5.0.16C. Do you think I would have any problems if I updated again to the just release 5.3.2? I know they made quite a few Z-wave improvements with that version.

I might get lucky and my Z-wave dongle will start responding again.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Have you ever backed up your zwave? It use to be a separate back was required. If so, you could try zwave - restore.

I would suspect the power supply as a possible thing to look at. A ticket would also get you some answer's.

What is the rating of the power supply as seen on its label. Some of my UDI devices came with a 500mA rated supply. The Z-Wave board will pull more current and could be getting close 500mA. I know they are selling 12VDC 1Amp supplies in their online sales page now. Like some other reports here. I too have a power supply get flaky.

On 3/5/2021 at 4:39 PM, jblackst5000 said:

If you have a 500 series board yes, by all means where you should end up is v5.3.2

BUT Don't do that until you get the root cause of your z-wave problem.  it should be working in 5.0.16C just fine.... if it's not upgrading again could just add to your problems.   

Like others have suggested since your post quoted above, I would open a ticket with udi by emailing support@universal-devices.com and/or try a different power supply.  The ISY accepts a wide variety of power supplies, from the wiki: You can try any power supply that outputs anywhere between 5 volt and 30 volts,center positive, 2mm barrel connector.

Mr Bil,

I finally found the problem with my Z-Wave dongle. I opened up the case on my ISY 994ir and the circuit board had a great deal of white powder (like when a battery leaks) on it. It had spread to where the Z-Wave dongle plugs into the ISY board. I am sure that is what is causing my problem. 

I ordered a new ISY and it should be coming tomorrow. 

Thanks again for all your help.

3 minutes ago, jblackst5000 said:

I finally found the problem with my Z-Wave dongle. I opened up the case on my ISY 994ir and the circuit board had a great deal of white powder (like when a battery leaks) on it. It had spread to where the Z-Wave dongle plugs into the ISY board. I am sure that is what is causing my problem. 

I ordered a new ISY and it should be coming tomorrow.

Wow, I wonder what got in there.  or if a capacitor exploded?   good you found the problem!

I think it was a capacitor leaking. Do you know what might cause all of my program folders (admin console) to have a red streak on the left side of the folder. The programs work but just wondering what is causing that. They may have always been there but I think I would have seen that.

I just hope that the backup I did to use when I restore my new ISY994ir ZW+ will not have problems because of the condition of my old ISY.

16 hours ago, jblackst5000 said:

Do you know what might cause all of my program folders (admin console) to have a red streak on the left side of the folder.

image.png.dbf6f36c61d79d557e02d99a59525516.png  <<-- Red means the IF last evaluated to False and the Else section last ran.  Green means the IF last evaluated to True and the Then section ran last.

image.png.3507214b8aa193155a5972c61c9b2f34.png and image.png.2685e98a2ee42b8737c8dc6f63bb91b6.png  mean the same as above for color, but when the color is solid it means the program is currently running (most likely because there is a wait that is waiting).

Mr. Bill,

I just wanted to thank you for all the help in resolving my Z-Wave Dongle not responding. First I had my PLM die and restored a new one. After that I saw that my Z-Wave Dongle was not responding. I later discovered that possibly a capacitor ruptured and my ISY was also giving out.

The good news is I received my new ISY994ir ZW+ today and now everything works again. 

Brad and Michel from UD tech support was also a huge help getting this resolved.

Thanks,

Archived