Wiring in a Micro Dimmer (2442-222)

VentureRider

Good morning - need a little guidance from the experts!

I want to add the micro dimmer to a circuit that has two switches (one in the foyer and one in the garage) that control some garage carriage lights.  The pic below should the switch in the garage (this box is where I'd like to install the dimmer module - more space in the box).

What would be the correct way to wire in the micro dimmer module?  What confuses me is the lack of a neutral (white) wire.

Thanks for any/all assistance.

IMG_0416.jpg

Good morning - need a little guidance from the experts!
I want to add the micro dimmer to a circuit that has two switches (one in the foyer and one in the garage) that control some garage carriage lights.  The pic below should the switch in the garage (this box is where I'd like to install the dimmer module - more space in the box).
What would be the correct way to wire in the micro dimmer module?  What confuses me is the lack of a neutral (white) wire.
Thanks for any/all assistance.
IMG_0416.thumb.jpg.7322ad2a00a24a40bb0ce2aa652bfa4d.jpg

There are multiple ways to wire a 3 way circuit.

o power enters one of switches

o power enters at light fixture

What does other switch location look like?

Is your goal to use micro module with existing manual switches or to replaces switches with Insteon dimmers?

While tmorse305' diagram looks correct to me, it assume that you have unstitched power at the fixture box, which may (or may not) be true in your case.  You must identify where there is access to hot and neutral, and this can be done by evaluating how the two switches are wired.  Unfortunately, the clues are not all contained in your single picture.  

In each switch box, one would have to note:

- conductors and colors connected to each switch

- how many cables (bundles of conductors) enter each switch box and colors and routing of the conductors within each switch box.  For example, the three conductors (two black, one red) connected to your pictured switch...do they come from a single cable or from more than one cable?  What about the other switch location?  Are there conductors in the switch box not connected to the switch?

9 minutes ago, carealtor said:

Posts like this always make me nervous.  I know we all have to learn somehow, but this is one of those things that, if you have to ask the question, you shouldn't be doing this yourself.  Just my 2 cents.

Yeah....but an electrician would look at this micro dimmer and say "what is that device...."... :)

1 minute ago, VentureRider said:

Yeah....but an electrician would look at this micro dimmer and say "what is that device...."...

Then...you would need to find an electrician who knows how to read directions.

OK...so you have previously installed a micro module in one of the switch locations.  This suggests that there is a neutral available at that location, which suggests that this location is where the hot and neutral are introduced into the circuit.  That suggests to me that you will not be able to install a micro module at the fixture box, or at the garage switch box.  Still, it would be nice to know how many cables are coming into each of the two switch boxes and how they are currently wired to the existing switches.

Then...you would need to find an electrician who knows how to read directions.
OK...so you have previously installed a micro module in one of the switch locations.  This suggests that there is a neutral available at that location, which suggests that this location is where the hot and neutral are introduced into the circuit.  That suggests to me that you will not be able to install a micro module at the fixture box, or at the garage switch box.  Still, it would be nice to know how many cables are coming into each of the two switch boxes and how they are currently wired to the existing switches.

From what you’ve told us, I agree that it sounds like the hot and neutral come into that switch box you most recently posted and it has the wires that run to the fixture.

You might can replace that box with an extra deep box or consider a dual gang box and cover second half via front plate with one side covered.

Archived