Version 5 vs 4 requirements?

f1d094

I am running 4.75 and considering upgrading to version 5.x, but have questions about what has changed. I understand that v5 offers integration options, presumably via the ISY Portal, but I have negative interest in connecting my home automation to 3rd party services.

1. Is there a feature list somewhere enumerating the major changes?
  2. Does the v5.x version require Internet connectivity or an ISY Portal account? (or any 3rd party account)
  3. Does v5.x offer specific performance improvements over v4.x, as opposed to broader feature set?

Best Regards.

14 minutes ago, f1d094 said:

I am running 4.75 and considering upgrading to version 5.x, but have questions about what has changed. I understand that v5 offers integration options, presumably via the ISY Portal, but I have negative interest in connecting my home automation to 3rd party services.

1. Is there a feature list somewhere enumerating the major changes?
  2. Does the v5.x version require Internet connectivity or an ISY Portal account? (or any 3rd party account)
  3. Does v5.x offer specific performance improvements over v4.x, as opposed to broader feature set?

Best Regards.

If all you have is insteon and feel the way you do about expanding, then I don't see any point in upgrading

@lilyoyo1: I'm absolutely interested in expanding capabilities via API or on-network integrations. Not allowing external parties access to my systems and/or data is not the same thing. Do you know if v4.x will continue to be supported? I am concerned that v4.X will EOL in the not-distant future.

I am also still keen to have answers to my specific questions if you know.

47 minutes ago, f1d094 said:

@lilyoyo1: I'm absolutely interested in expanding capabilities via API or on-network integrations. Not allowing external parties access to my systems and/or data is not the same thing. Do you know if v4.x will continue to be supported? I am concerned that v4.X will EOL in the not-distant future.

5.X is the way to go (in fact. 5.3.3) and get a Polisy. Then choose your favorite nodeservers and you will wonder why you waited so long :-) 

1 hour ago, f1d094 said:

It would appear, v5 was made for what you would like to experiment with. Have you taken a look at the nodeserver store? Here is a link to the UD Nodeserver store. https://polyglot.universal-devices.com/

These Nodeserver will run locally on a Polisy. Currently, they can also run on a RPI, however, that ability will be retired in the near future.

Also, while not local, you could also checkout the ISY Portal. Here is some information on the Portal:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Portal_Installation_Instructions

To answer some of your other questions:

You can run Polyglot locally currently on a Raspberry Pi or on a Polisy box or in the cloud (which I understand you are not interested in cloud-based integrations) with a cloud ploy setup.

To run a local polyglot server linked to your ISY, you need either of a ISY Portal account, or the Networking module for your ISY.  Either opens up the access to the ISY's nodes for on-network reading/writing to the ISY.   If you aren't interested in portal integrations (Alexa, etc.) then the network module will allow you to use Polyglot without any third-party Internet access to your system.

To upgrade to versions 5.1.0 or later, if you are using Zwave, you also need to upgrade the Zwave hardware in the ISY to the 500 series Zwave module.  Carefully read the release notes for 5.3.0 in this thread: https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/30939-release-530-is-now-available/ as it covers all the items you need to know to update from 4.7.x to 5.1.0 or later.

Version 5 introduces vastly different and improved handling of Zwave devices, and adds support for Polyglot node servers.  Because it is a major change, depending on your programs, you may need to do some work to get them fully functional after the upgrade if you have Zwave devices. 

Thank you all. I've queued off your responses and done a bit more digging it looks like 4.x still does everything we need, which leaves me wondering strictly about performance and EOL.

Is the 4.x chain going to continue to be supported?
Does 5.x offer any performance or specific reliability advantages over 4.x?

Thank you all. I've queued off your responses and done a bit more digging it looks like 4.x still does everything we need, which leaves me wondering strictly about performance and EOL.

At some point you’re going to have/need to go to some version of 5. My thought is do it while conversion is still fresh knowledge. The longer you wait, the staler information will become.

I wrote a how to guide to get from 4.7 to 5.0.15 or 5.0.16 that’s on here somewhere. The very conservative planning going into creating that guide was far more time consuming than actually executing it. 2ish hours depending on how many zwave devices you have.

I’d go to 5.3 but have issues with schlage deadbolts and 500 zwave. I’m contemplating replacing locks with their zwave+ versions and trying again in next month or two.

It offers the future of HA.
2 hours ago, f1d094 said:

4.0 was eol once 5.0 matured.  It'll be supported in regards to continuing to work as is but no new database updates for new/upcoming devices. 

All advantages of 5.0 has been stated. Nothing else is there

• 4 months later...

Have not touched my very small ISY system in at least a year. It's fascinating to me that the ISY 'just runs'. Anyway I did the needed Java and auto update on ISY to 4.9 and remembered the last time I was around here that 5.x was in the works.

I see 5.X has been out awhile and started looking around here wondering why auto update only went to 4.9. After reading a bit I guess its a big change but I can't seem to find anything about what the 5.X does and what I must do to update to the latest.

As the Original author of this post asked and I didn't see....is there an article on what going to 5.X does and what I must be concerned about?

Can I just go from 4.9 to the latest 5.X?

9 minutes ago, Mikes said:

Have not touched my very small ISY system in at least a year. It's fascinating to me that the ISY 'just runs'. Anyway I did the needed Java and auto update on ISY to 4.9 and remembered the last time I was around here that 5.x was in the works.

I see 5.X has been out awhile and started looking around here wondering why auto update only went to 4.9. After reading a bit I guess its a big change but I can't seem to find anything about what the 5.X does and what I must do to update to the latest.

As the Original author of this post asked and I didn't see....is there an article on what going to 5.X does and what I must be concerned about?

Can I just go from 4.9 to the latest 5.X?

The link below will give you answers to most of your questions.

When you update your password will go back to the default and your email configuration will revert to the default. It's best to export a copy of your programs as some will have to be modified.

The latest version of the firmware is Zwave certified. It also contains bug fixes and enhancements.

@Mikes

The largest difference is being able to use node servers to add more node types to power your automation. 

Nodeservers run locally on a pi running Polyglot, or a Polisy from UDI.  (the pi running polyglot may be phased out in the future)   The local nodeserver store can be viewed here: https://polyglot.universal-devices.com/

There are also cloud nodeserver that can be run if you have an ISY portal subscription.   The cloud nodesever store is a more limited list https://polyglot.isy.io/store

Some nodeservers are better suited for local, and some better suited for cloud, while a limited number are available both ways.

Beyond that upgrading from 4 to 5 goes fairly smoothly nowadays however if you have ISY programs that use the feature "Adjust Scene" all of those programs will need to be manually repaired.

If your interested in using nodeservers then you'll want to update... if not the path of least resistance is stay at version 4.9.

Archived