Err & Mem Light Flashing Isy994i/IR

I cannot login to Admin Console. My Isy994i/IR power light is on and mem & err lights are flashing. I've unplugged PLM and ISY several times, still having same issue. This is my 4th or 5th PLM and it is fairly new. I'm on my second power supply. I just "unseated" the micro sd card and reinserted, same issue. Not sure where to go from here? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Have you replaced any network equipment lately? It's possibly a network issue.

(but looks like the link on the reply in that thread doesn't exist so go here - https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#Front_Panel_LEDs.2FLights)

Other steps will require additional information:

1. What Firmware are you using? What's your UI (launcher)?

2. Have you checked that your SD card is properly seated?

3. When you say "fairly new" for latest PLM how "fairly" do you mean? Weeks, Months, Years? Has it been working since the last PLM replacement?

Do you have ISY Portal subscription? If so, is it showing the ISY online? You could attempt to reach the AC through the portal URL and reset any network settings on the ISY that way (in case you have the ISY set to static IP and there's suddenly a new router or new network gear that's trying to take the same IP address). Make sure you set the ISY to Automatic DHCP and then handle the static IP address from the router just in case you change routers in the future this will allow you to plug and play the ISY into a new network setup.

Report back if not a network issue with answers to questions above.

Good luck!

Thanks for your quick response. I can't login to admin console, but I do remember updating to version 5. something awhile back. I replace PLM's about every 2-3 years, had ISY since 2013 or 2014. I'm not sure when I purchased the last PLM, but I can usually kinda tell when they are going bad.  I do not have any z-waves or ISY portal subscriptions, all insteon devices and programs, and all setup within admin console. I did add a new IP camera to my network a few days ago? My ISY address (by looking in my mobilinc phone app) is 192.168.1.18 port 100 and the new camera is 192.168.1.32 port 88.

@jpoje,

Have you been able to get into the admin console since you updated to 5.x? If so then it very well could be the new camera or anything on your network if you're not using IP Reservations in the router. Of you have a lot of devices and the router just cannot give out enough addresses (this is typically a problem when people have computers, smart TVs, mobile devices, and switches or plugs that don't require a hub - some internet provider supplied equipment are arriving with limited number of devices able to connect so the available IP range is very low.)

Are you using the Launcher to try to access the admin console? Does the finder not find anything if you're local to the ISY? (i.e. you're on the same network the finder should search and find it if the ISY has a valid IP on the same subnet). 

Check your Router if you see the ISY listed in the IP table. 

Now, what kind of router do you have? If you're good with tech you know how to log in and check the IP table (attached devices). You should be able to find the ISY MAC address and associated IP address. Then try to connect the finder directly to that IP and see if you can access it. 

My next suggestion would be to try to turn off as many network devices as you can and reboot the PLM and ISY to see if it's able to reattach to the network correctly. If that helps then you know you've got an IP conflict somewhere. 

If still unable to get things to work out then open a case with UD Support (support@universal-devices.com) and see if they can troubleshoot a little more detailed.

21 hours ago, jpoje said:

My ISY address (by looking in my mobilinc phone app) is 192.168.1.18 port 100 and the new camera is 192.168.1.32 port 88.

@jpoje, If you can access the ISY through Mobilinc then it's on the network. If the lights are still flashing, but you can reach it with an app then you've got other issues and should open a ticket with UD Support. 

Are you able to access the ISY through a computer and admin console? Maybe check that everything is loading up right in there. It just seems odd to be able to access the ISY via an app and have blinking lights that might indicate a network issue.

Maybe others have further steps to take, but I'd send off an email to UD Support and let them walk you through some troubleshooting.

21 hours ago, jpoje said:

My ISY address (by looking in my mobilinc phone app) is 192.168.1.18 port 100 and the new camera is 192.168.1.32 port 88.

Why such a non-standard port assignment?  It should work, but anytime you get into weird low numbered port's it's asking for unpredictability.  The good news is that port 100 doesn't appear to have a modern assignment on the list of well known ports.

@GeddyI was not able to access ISY through mobilinc, I only used mobilinc to check settings to see what my ISY's ip address/port was. I wanted to make sure that address was not in conflict with the new ip camera's address/port.

I logged into my Arris router and ISY was not listed as a client. I decided to do a "reset" on router and ISY is back up and working properly. I suspect an older ethernet connection/cable as culprit, which may have been disturbed while setting up the new ip camera. I have ordered a replacement ethernet cable. I most appreciate your assistance and patience with me : )

@MrBillMy mobilinc settings show "secure port" as 443 and "local port" as 100. Is there something I need to change? And if so, how would I go about changing ports? Thanks!

Based on https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page scroll down to the section "Front Panel LEDs/Lights"

• Error light and Memory light blinking simultaneously: ISY is not able to get on the network.Please ensure:
    • The Network jack on the back of ISY is connected to your router
    • The lights on the Network jack have one steady on and the other one blinking. If not, check cable and connectivity to the router
    • Your router provides DHCP
    • There are no other devices on the network with the same IP address (IP Conflict)
      • If you have configured your ISY to use DHCP, then you will have to search your network for devices that might be in the same DHCP range as your router is providing
      • If you have configured your ISY with a static IP address, and as long as you have a good backup, you can Factory Reset your ISY and then restore a good backup (File | Restore ISY). Once prompted to change the network settings, choose No

I think you're on the correct path.... with replacing the Ethernet cable.   Before you make any changes to anything we should make sure you get back online.  I'm guessing the IP of your ISY will change when you add a new Ethernet cable and reboot it.   I use an address reservation to keep mine always on the same IP address.   After you resolve problem 0, and your back online then you can determine if you should standardize the port. (or if it's even actually using 100...that might just be in the mobilinc app to force mobilinc to always use the secure settings.

ISY is back online, just the ethernet cable connection is not secure (broken), but is connected now. I've ordered a replacement cable. My ISY finder is showing address as:

http://192.168.1.3:100/desc

Admin Console configuration page is showing http port as 100 and https port as 443  Should the http port be changed? If so, just manually change it in the Admin Console? If so, what port should it be set at?

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, jpoje said:

ISY is back online, just the ethernet cable connection is not secure (broken), but is connected now. I've ordered a replacement cable. My ISY finder is showing address as:

http://192.168.1.3:100/desc

Admin Console configuration page is showing http port as 100 and https port as 443  Should the http port be changed? If so, just manually change it in the Admin Console? If so, what port should it be set at?

Standard is 80.  I'm guessing you moved away from 80 because of the camera's?  are you using port forwarding? if so for what ports (and devices)?

often used alternative ports for http protocol when 80 is used for something else... are 8080 and 8088.   Then again if 100 is working for you .....why fix what's not broken?

Yes, I think one of my first cameras may have been port 80, probably long gone and before using Blue Iris software for my ip cameras.

I believe I have port forwarding for the ISY port 443 and port 100, and then I have Blue Iris on a PC port 90. 

5 minutes ago, jpoje said:

Yes, I think one of my first cameras may have been port 80, probably long gone and before using Blue Iris software for my ip cameras.

I believe I have port forwarding for the ISY port 443 and port 100, and then I have Blue Iris on a PC port 90. 

If it's all working the way you want it to......don't fix it...lol

Yes thank you both for all the help! Quite embarrassing when the issue is something so simple.

I would like a little more information (link), where I may read up more on setting up ports, port triggering, and port forwarding. It's been many years since I set all this up and routers are not something I totally understand.

It does seem that mobilinc and blue iris (cameras) work fine on my phone and ipad when I'm away from home, so I assume I have something set up right, but also would like it set up properly.?

Thanks again.   

25 minutes ago, jpoje said:

I would like a little more information (link), where I may read up more on setting up ports, port triggering, and port forwarding. It's been many years since I set all this up and routers are not something I totally understand.

The steps for port forwarding varies when it comes to different mfg. and setups (ie:double Nat), the mfg. of your router should have that information on their support page or a Google search for port forwarding with you router model number should give you the necessary links (possible videos) to properly set up port forwarding. 

In regards to the isy, I would recommend using their portal service as it negates the need for port forwarding

Thank you, I will look into that. I did contemplate the portal service a few years back when I purchased my first Alexa, but seemed like it involved some setup and a subscription. I did end up integrating Alexa with ISY via IR and Harmony Hub. (At least enough function to control my home theater lighting, music, garage doors, and front gate, all by voice). 

I believe I will take Mr Bill's advice for now, "why fix what's not broken" LOL  Thanks again for all the help/suggestions.

@jpoje, "back in the day" I would send you to the dslreports.com site, but it's not what it used to be for help. Now I might suggest starting at https://portforward.com/ for generic help/discussion type pages. When in doubt just Google port forwarding and start reading. I think even Tom's Guide might be a place to read up more, but it's too commercial for me (sometimes). 

If you're not needing to access the ISY from outside the network then you don't need port forwarding. While most will say it's not risky it does open up a hole to the network. You rely on the hope that ISY is protected by a password a little more difficult to guess (at least make it harder than the default). I second @lilyoyo1about getting a portal subscription so you don't have to port forward (if you're not comfortable with setting it up). For the cost ($20 for 2 years) it's a low cost option and gives full function with Alexa (yes, with minimal setup, but it's straight forward if you read the steps outlined in the Alexa (or Google Home) forum), as well as giving you remote access without port forward, and abilities associated with the old Network Module. 

I'm in the same boat as you though with the "ain't broke, don't fix" (just as @MrBill). Just glad you're operational again! Take care and good luck on the research for port information.

1 hour ago, jpoje said:

Yes thank you both for all the help! Quite embarrassing when the issue is something so simple.

It does seem that mobilinc and blue iris (cameras) work fine on my phone and ipad when I'm away from home, so I assume I have something set up right, but also would like it set up properly.?

Thanks again.   

There's not a good single link I can think of to direct you to, so I'll do a very basic primer here.  One problem I think a lot of people have is to understand what a port is.... to simplify understanding change the word "port" to "channel" and think of it kinda like TV channels.  That still doesn't quite explain, but it makes the concept easier to grasp.   In TV terms think of ABC being on Channel 9, but your router "http://" or hypertext protocol appears on channel (port) 80 (common alternates 8080, and 8088), https:// and ssh appear on channel (port) 443 (common alternate 4443), Outgoing email is often channel (port) 25 or 2525. Incoming email is often on channel (port) 465 or 587..... etc.  the entire list of "common ports" is at the Wikipedia link I included a few posts above.   Generally ports below 1024, are known as "reserved ports", ports 1024 and above are more fair game for grabbing for random use, BUT there are still lot of notable exceptions below 9999, for example port 3389 is generally only used for Remote Desktop protocol.  You can find those with Google, by either asking for the "RDP protocol port number" or in reverse by googling "port 3389".  

So how did you get to port 100.   for these example we'll assume your local network is 192.168.1.XXX and your External IP is 11.22.33.44.   Lets say the camera uses 192.168.1.10 port 80 (or 192.168.1.10:80), and the ISY is 192.168.1.20 port 80 (or 192.168.1.20:80).  both are using HTTP protocol and likewise they use "channel 80".   As long as you are on your local network popping http://192.168.1.20 into your browser is all you need to do to reach your ISY-- the http:// tells the browser use channel (port) 80.

But now we want to access from outside or away from home using the IP 11.22.33.44, but wait port 80 is now ambiguous!  both the ISY and the camera use port 80.  There is more than one way to fix that, and sometimes it works better to use one or the other. 

1) You could go to the ISY admin console and change the local port to the ISY to 100 and then forward port 100 to port 100 for the ISY and port 80 to 80 for the camera.  Then when your inside the ISY is 192.168.1.20 port 100 and from the outside 11.22.33.44 port 100 (or 11.22.33.44:100).  and most consumer routers will simplify that with a feature called "Hairpin NAT" or "NAT loopback" which means that if you use 11.22.33.44 while inside or outside the network.

2) Another common solution is to use "port redirection" when "port forwarding".  In this case we make no changes to the ISY, and instead when we set Port forwardging in the router, we program that port 11.22.33.44:100 "forwards to" 192.168.1.20:80.  and with "hairpin NAT" you can still refer to 11.22.33.44:100 either "inside" or "outside".

In most cases network professionals prefer method #2, because there is not various hardware scattered about with special settings.  Instead, the various hardware is all left with it's native settings and all of the magic is done by the router. 

Now what port numbers should you use?   HIGH NUMBERED PORTS.  that is 5 digit port number less than 65535.   Sticking with 5 digit port numbers keeps you away from using well known port numbers that might be used by something else, and it adds a tiny bit (not much) security.   Hackers don't randomly try port 43234 to see if it's open, and likely if they try to port scan all ports your ISP may detect that and help with countermeasures.  For example, if I open port 43234 and forward it to my ISY using method 2 above, and hacker X comes along with his port scanner and says lets try 11.22.33.44 all ports from 1 to 65535 my isp will detect the port scan and when hackers port scanner gets to 43234 the isp blocks...or makes it look like a closed port.  (people have argued with me that ISPs do this, yours might or might not... mine does, I've tested for it specifically, in fact once I started a port scan on my own IP--the ISPs security protocols basically blocked all ports everywhere on its network from the offshore server I rented for the experiment.)

Another reason to stay away from well known ports is they are randomly targets in drive-by port checks.   For example if I watch the log on a webserver than I rent i see constant attempts on port 80 and port 433, because both are in fact open and many of the attempts are looking for a WordPress server running outdated versions of WP that have certain security flaws.  or for default logins like User Admin and password Admin or password or ChangeMe, all of which at one point or another were default passwords for an account named admin.  If your IP has open Ports 80 or 443 I guarantee there random requests from the internet to figure out how to login to whatever is there, camera, ISY or otherwise. 

So in general, if using port forwarding the best practice is to open HIGH NUMBERED ports, and use re-direction to normal ports for the equipment on your local network.  Thus going back to the beginning your isy would be 192.168.1.20:80 but the open port might be 11.22.33.44:43789 which redirects to 192.168.1.20:80, and then your camera at 192.168.1.10:80 might have the open port 11.22.33.44:43889 which redirects to 192.168.1.10:80

There's a lot to unpack, and I still haven't gotten to the basic differences between some ports.... for example the ISY can use port 80 and port 443.  the difference is port 80 can be easily "snooped" on as the packet travels across the internet, it's completely unencrypted plain text.  If the packets happen to be "sniffed" it's pretty easy to identify usernames and passwords, on the other hand port 443 traffic is encrypted-- only the devices at either end know how to read the contents. 

All that said the best way is to not open any ports for yourself and use the portal instead.  UDI's price simply can't be beat at less than $1 per month paid every year or two.  With this arrangement all ports remain closed and the ISY makes an outbound connection to the portal, then to make a connection you connect to the portal instead.  No port forwarding to maintain or port numbers to remember.

Archived