A question for the Insteon masters...How to keep lights 'slightly' on? Can it be done?

EagleAye

Here is the background. I am STILL using some x-10 devices in my home. When I swapped lights to LED, the bleed thru current would make the lights glow at about 5% level when off.  My kids liked the 'night lights' in the 2 hallways, so I have kept the x-10's in there.

I have searched for a way to gain that same 'bleed thru' unintended effect with Insteon.  I even tried Insteon 2474d which is a 2 wire with current bleed thru like the old x10's.  They just are not quite the same.

So...my question is this.  Is there a way to program Insteon to ramp to 5-10 percent on when commanded off?  And what about when the toggle is turned off?

I would guess that if there is not an 'easy' way to keep the lights on slightly when off, then it would probably involve programming ISY to watch for all 'off' commands from any programming and toggle switch and then run a ramp sequence to turn it 'on' slightly.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

37 minutes ago, EagleAye said:

Here is the background. I am STILL using some x-10 devices in my home. When I swapped lights to LED, the bleed thru current would make the lights glow at about 5% level when off.  My kids liked the 'night lights' in the 2 hallways, so I have kept the x-10's in there.

I have searched for a way to gain that same 'bleed thru' unintended effect with Insteon.  I even tried Insteon 2474d which is a 2 wire with current bleed thru like the old x10's.  They just are not quite the same.

So...my question is this.  Is there a way to program Insteon to ramp to 5-10 percent on when commanded off?  And what about when the toggle is turned off?

I would guess that if there is not an 'easy' way to keep the lights on slightly when off, then it would probably involve programming ISY to watch for all 'off' commands from any programming and toggle switch and then run a ramp sequence to turn it 'on' slightly.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

You could with a program. You would write it like you stated. I would add a delay to account for the device turning off however.

If switch is turned off 

Then wait 2 seconds 

And turn switch on 10%

You'll probably have to play around with the percentage to get it to fit your needs

That is what I kinda figured.  I thought I would check and see if Insteon had some special way to do it at the switch.  You can dim the indicator backlight, change ramp rates, on levels, and even beeps.  I was hoping someone may have some wazoo way to accomplish without relying on ISY programs.

Just a check.

I use a program to control the dimming of several lights.

Off turns the light off but....
Long press down on the toggle causes a fade command to be sent. I detect that and set the lights on at the lowest reliable level that I know will stay on.

WiFi bulbs will go down to under 1% levels quite easily but take NRs to operate and/or router and other LAN equipment to be alive and working. The RGBCW bulbs can also be set to a deep orange or red colour so that sleepy eyes are not "woken up".

I use about 40+ RGBWW/CW bulbs and LED strips in and out of my home.

Archived