2413s Insteon PLM / Modem still available anywhere? Discontinued?

telljcl

My second one in 10 years or so is going out - will work for a week or so then stops. A reset of PLM and a "Restore PLM" via Admin console brings it back... temporarily.

Bought a replacement PLM 2413s from Amazon just 3 weeks ago, but I can't get it to work - when powering down ISY and installing new PLM, then powering all back up and doing a "Restore PLM" I get green "write" icons by most of the devices, but nothing ever happens. So I think this one is bad - it was a "Warehouse Deal", so maybe that's why.

Anyway, I can't seem to find one anywhere - I must have missed that these were being discontinued?

Anybody have a source, suggestion or alternative unit to recommend? Possible to use a USB version somehow with the ISY?

Maybe I didn't go the through the "Restore" process correctly trying to use the replacement 2413s I think is bad (but might not be)?

EDIT: ... Now I can't get my original (that works for a while) unit to "restore" to the ISY - does the same thing the replacement unit was doing (green "Write update" icons by all the devices, but nothing seems to happen...

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, smacbride said:

They haven't been discontinued, just out of stock at the moment.

Well that's good to know.  In making sure I replaced the unit properly, should this procedure work correctly?

1 - Unplug old PLM. Unplug ISY

2 - Reset "New" PLM. Plug in New PLM to power and ISY (which is OFF).

3 - Power on ISY, wait for initial bootup etc... (which takes a while), then click "Restore Modem".

This process works when I am using my old modem after resetting it, but appears to not work with my replacement unit, and now isn't working with my original unit (probably since I tried the other unit prior).

Any insight on this process would be greatly appreciated!

Does the Tools, Diagnostics, Show PLM Info/status. Show its ID and Connected?

I did see one on Ebay but I would personally stay away for it. Sold as Used and the photos show it is a version 2.1. My last one is a 2.5 and I have seen 2.6 or maybe even 2.7 mentioned recently.

Thanks all.

The PLM shows connected, and has the ID of my old one (which I put back in and did a "restore").

The links work, but most (not all, strangely) show the green "need to write update" icon by them.

I'd expect maybe on the RF only devices, but I only have a few of those and the icons are showing on most of the wired devices, but as stated, some of the wired devices don't show the icon.

Everything works, though. I've power cycled the ISY a few times but it keeps coming back with the green icons.

At this point I'm thinking the Amazon replacement may be OK (V. 2.5), since it had the same issue. I didn't try to control anything though when I changed to it - seeing all the icons made me switch back to the original.

... Ok so I unchecked "Automatic writes to battery powered devices" and then unchecked / rechecked "Automatic device writes" and now it went through and cleared all the write icons (except the wireless ones - expected).

So I guess the other PLM I have may be OK - I'll give it another go.

3 hours ago, telljcl said:

Well that's good to know.  In making sure I replaced the unit properly, should this procedure work correctly?

1 - Unplug old PLM. Unplug ISY

2 - Reset "New" PLM. Plug in New PLM to power and ISY (which is OFF).

3 - Power on ISY, wait for initial bootup etc... (which takes a while), then click "Restore Modem".

This process works when I am using my old modem after resetting it, but appears to not work with my replacement unit, and now isn't working with my original unit (probably since I tried the other unit prior).

Any insight on this process would be greatly appreciated!

Attached is a file with the exact steps to take when replacing a PLMReplace ISY PLM.pdf

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, Gadrian said:

Are these still available? Or are they actually discontinued? Insteon PLM that is.

The last I heard from Smarthome was that they may have them in a year. 

No one really seems to know if, what or when any Insteon devices will be available. again.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just called SmartHome.   They are estimating being out of stock on new PLM and Insteon devices until MID 2022 due to supply chain problems!   Customer service rep suggested switching to available Zwave or Zigbee system as only Insteon based controllers are the ISY/PLM or Insteon Hub .  I have over 140 Insteon switches/devices in my house and spent thou$and$ over the years so this is not a solution.   People seem to be aware as used 2413S on Ebay are going for $250-$400!  ?   

2 minutes ago, bdyster said:

Just called SmartHome.   They are estimating being out of stock on new PLM and Insteon devices until MID 2022 due to supply chain problems!   Customer service rep suggested switching to available Zwave or Zigbee system as only Insteon based controllers are the ISY/PLM or Insteon Hub .  I have over 140 Insteon switches/devices in my house and spent thou$and$ over the years so this is not a solution.   People seem to be aware as used 2413S on Ebay are going for $250-$400!  ?   

Maybe buy the Insteon usb dongle?  You'll likely see the PLM popup on Amazon for an insane price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353621496562?hash=item52557bd2f2:g:nssAAOSwciphFce3

2 hours ago, LFMc said:

There is a USED PLM 2413s on eBay that is up for auction and the current bid is $450!!  It still has more than a day left on the bidding!  Unbelievable! 

I’ll let my spare go for a mere $400 :)

@MrBill how do you see all links in the PLM? When I check the links table it just shows connected devices.

Archived