2413s Insteon PLM / Modem still available anywhere? Discontinued?

telljcl

I almost listed my brand new 1 last weekend. That could have been me rolling in the dough tonight! Dang always a day late and a dollar short. 

Maybe I should get on listing it before smart home has a chance to replenish their stock.

7 minutes ago, MrBill said:

If I had any old i wouldn't toss them at this point... either sell as is, or have repaired and sell.

I have 2x that are dead. Have the cap kits, yet to try the repairs.

Edit: I also have 3x 2412S's that no workie. I assume they have a different PCB layout for power distribution?

7 minutes ago, mango said:

There's an ebay seller that repairs PLMs also.  Good for people that can't solder which is an art (fortuitously I leaned the art at about 8 years old when someone gave me an intercom kit for christmas-- "kit" was empty boards and all the components)

9 minutes ago, mango said:

Edit: I also have 3x 2412S's that no workie. I assume they have a different PCB layout for power distribution?

@Brian H is the expert.

41 minutes ago, MrBill said:

If I had any old i wouldn't toss them at this point... either sell as is, or have repaired and sell.

Downsizing from 3800 sq.ft. to an apartment. Don't have time, space, or eyes anymore, to solder in the caps I already had, and the repair guy won't deal with Canada. .... One gone, have four more yet. One left questionable, one used on my ISY994, one USB PLM waiting for a fixed polisy, one purchased used...don't know or trust yet.

43 minutes ago, MrBill said:

There's an ebay seller that repairs PLMs also.  Good for people that can't solder which is an art (fortuitously I leaned the art at about 8 years old when someone gave me an intercom kit for christmas-- "kit" was empty boards and all the components)

@Brian H is the expert.

I can solder, reasonably well. I have all the tools.

This helpful site everyone here knows about: https://1projectaweek.com/blog/2017/6/2/repairing-a-failed-insteon-powerlinc-power-line-modem-plm-2413u

Doesn't show you the soldering work underneath in the article or the video, and I know why lol. It probably looks like a dogs dinner, but will function correctly. Just need to make sure there are no shorts or solder splashes, should be good to go.

13 hours ago, mango said:

I can solder, reasonably well. I have all the tools.

This helpful site everyone here knows about: https://1projectaweek.com/blog/2017/6/2/repairing-a-failed-insteon-powerlinc-power-line-modem-plm-2413u

Doesn't show you the soldering work underneath in the article or the video, and I know why lol. It probably looks like a dogs dinner, but will function correctly. Just need to make sure there are no shorts or solder splashes, should be good to go.

Interesting! I don't think the caps I got off eBay will fit in those spots on the board. IIRC about three of them need to have extension leads, heat shrink, and floated horizontally. My caps are huge. Maybe some day I will have to look at the original PLM I have and attempt it. Eyes aren't getting any better and I need a bigger magnifying glass to get through it. Been soldering for over 50 years, as a hobbiest and professional electronics repair guy but not for the last ten years. Built houses instead and developed soldering phobias. :)

The PLM in later revisions. Smarthome tried a larger capacitor. To try and fix the problem. They where two large physically to fit in the boards solder pads. So you will find then laying side ways on the board with the leads bent 90 degrees to fit into the pads. At V2.3 the caps where changed to a one designed for switching power supplies,

22 hours ago, mango said:

The 2412S is a completely different design. With a linear style transformer run supply and different capacitors. Main board has a 1000uF/25V, 470uF/50V and a 100uF/6.3V.

Serial port card is the same as in the earlier  2413S. With the F1 fuse removed and a faster link memory chip. Early 2412S had a 417 Link Database and later ones ~ 2000 Link Database. At around 800 links the ISY controller had reported problems with too slow an access time. It could also sent power through the serial cable into the ISY controller and power it with out the external wall wart.

I would look at the 470uF/50V. It is in a charge pump circuit and has a higher frequency signal on it. I had one swell up and pop its top.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 9:40 AM, bdyster said:

Just called SmartHome.   They are estimating being out of stock on new PLM and Insteon devices until MID 2022 due to supply chain problems!   Customer service rep suggested switching to available Zwave or Zigbee system as only Insteon based controllers are the ISY/PLM or Insteon Hub .  I have over 140 Insteon switches/devices in my house and spent thou$and$ over the years so this is not a solution.   People seem to be aware as used 2413S on Ebay are going for $250-$400!  ?   

I also have my entire house with Insteon.  Can you really switch to Zwave or Zigbee and still use Insteon and ISY994?

Archived