Humidity unwanted traffic/Thermostat V2

• 7 months later...
I only get updates when the humidity changes. There is a small amount of noise, so it might bounce up a down a little (with updates perhaps more often than really needed) but not a lot.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll give my T1700 the solder fix tonight, and that will be moving to the garage for heat-only duties once my new 7 day with humidity module arrives.

• 4 weeks later...

for those of you just adding a v2 adapter to you Venstar thermostat, please watch and report any adapter Lock-ups and random setpoint changes. I am working with Smarthome on a random changing of setpoints that has occurred with my T1800 and v2 adapter. it would be good to find others who are having these problems.

I too get the annoying humidity updates. I have a suspicion that all this chatter about humidity is what has locked up my Thermostat. I seem of go along for a month or so with this noise then one day I find the thermostat locked. Probably not a big problem if your living with the device but mine is in a second house 1000 miles away. So when mine locks I am blind to whats happening. Given this adapter has once set my Thermostat to 37 degrees causing the Air to run solid for 2 days before I caught it......

• 1 month later...
for those of you just adding a v2 adapter to you Venstar thermostat, please watch and report any adapter Lock-ups and random setpoint changes. I am working with Smarthome on a random changing of setpoints that has occurred with my T1800 and v2 adapter. it would be good to find others who are having these problems.

I too get the annoying humidity updates. I have a suspicion that all this chatter about humidity is what has locked up my Thermostat. I seem of go along for a month or so with this noise then one day I find the thermostat locked. Probably not a big problem if your living with the device but mine is in a second house 1000 miles away. So when mine locks I am blind to whats happening. Given this adapter has once set my Thermostat to 37 degrees causing the Air to run solid for 2 days before I caught it......

I get random humidity levels also on my T1800 w/o sensor. Does the jumper exist on the T1800 and does it fix the problem?

I am getting somewhat random setpoint changes. If I change to heat only and change the heat setpoint, then switch to Program Auto the heat setpoint will change to 16 degrees most of the time. The same if I change the cool point. It is impossible to get the setpoints back from the current program, you have to go to the thermostat and cycle through the modes to get the thermostat to recall it's programmed setpoints.

If I try to change the setpoint up one degree when in Program Auto the ISY looks like it changed it but the thermostat does not reflect the change.

Andy, I have everything possible related to Humidity shut down but still get these status alerts. I talked to Smarthome today and they say Venstar has actually posted this soldering trick on several of the forums. Personally, not comfortable with such a fine level of soldering.

... My T1800 has never "system reset" my setpoint while I have been around always when away but my program has always caught it and rest to resonable setpoints. So dont think mine is locking. I have had it lock up several time but not since Smarthome sent me a new adapter. doesnt mean it wont happen again but hasnt yet. Even with new adapter and thermostat I am still experiencing random setpoint changes. I would encourage you to create a program that will reset the thermostat back to reasonable setpoints in the event this happens while you are away.

FYI, I did run a setpoint test on Heat manually setting it to 120 degrees. the thermostat will not set higher than 90 degrees. This week I will do a setpoint on Cool but suspect the result will be 60 degrees. This is bad when the outside temp is 110.

The J4 "HUM" "No HUM" jumper does not stop the Humidity Status from being sent to ISY. My log is being bombarded by these alerts and I have no humidity sensor installed and have J4 set to No Hum. From what read in previous post on soldering a jumper across J32 it works. I do not think the Humidity issue, lockup issue and random setpoint issue have anything in common.

Andy, do you by chance have an outdoor temperature sensor connected to your venstar? thats the one variable I havent eliminated to see if that might be causing the setpoint issue.

Nope, no external sensor. I have brought up the event viewer and have seen only one Humidity status reporting 2% in the last 2 hours. But then the temperature hasn't changed in that time either, I haven't had a heat notify.

But it does change the humidity occasionally, just not that often.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For those not interested in a soldering job, some liquidator is selling those humidity modules for Venstar thermostats for $10 a piece right now (1/6/2012).

Would one of you be so kind as to help me purchase some of these sensors for my TSTAT? :?: The vendor does not ship to Canada and therefor I can not purchase them.

I would pay for all related shipping costs any help would be greatly appreciated!

Teken . . .

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Do dual band devices actually serve as signal repeaters? I have multiple cases where my ISY (994i V.4.0.5) reports a failure to communicate with a KPL which is co-located with a dual band device in the same j-jox and on the same line and return connections. For that matter I also see my ISY reporting communication failures between with dual band devices. I don't have the equipment necessary to directly observe either RF or power line signals so I have to rely on information I get from my ISY.

mike

Dual Band devices are repeaters. Make sure PLM is plugged into an outlet and the plug point is clean of interference. Any other electronics powered from the same circuit such as UPS, etc should be on a FilterLinc. After that it is chasing down other sources of noise or signal attenuation. Can be a tough frustrating job but well worth it to get a clean stable Insteon network.

All plug-in equipment is filtered and the PLM is 5 feet from the breaker panel on a circuit where everything except for Insteon devices is filtered. The only other stuff is some LED lamps in wired-in fixtures and I haven't been able to find a low-pass filter that will fit in the J-box. I had hoped that Insteon devices like the Switchlinc of KPL would have a low-pass filter on their load but that doesn't seem to be the case. Leviton 6287s seem to work fine but they've been discontinued and there doesn't seem to be a like replacement. I guess I'll have to get some inductors and capacitors and make my own if I can't find something.

mike

Archived