Serial PLM discontinued according to smarthome

bcdavis75

18 minutes ago, Adam Ant said:

@Michel Kohanim,  With Polisy not supporting zwave why would one want to move to isy on Polisy?   With many insteon products now becoming unavailable wouldn’t we need to stay on our isy so we can continue to expand our home automation via zwave products? It had seemed isy product development was really investing in zwave, correct? My PLM recently went out so trying to figure out my path forward.  I have over a 100 Insteon devices and some zwave…thanks!

There are still many people using insteon with their ISY who would like to use it with Polisy. Polisy supports the USB plm of which there is stock showing as well as with standard devices such as light switches, keypads, and outlets.

Recent development has been for zwave since zwave is new technology for UDI (compared to Insteon). Insteon has had its development since the ISY26 over 10 years so its mature whereas zwave started in 2014 or so and due to the nature of its process, takes much much longer to develop for than insteon.

3 minutes ago, carealtor said:

ISY on Polisy is Alpha, not even Beta, and there is no migration path.  Correct?

Manual entry is best. I did restore from an ISY backup and got all my programs and variable names in but every single element has to be checked, Insteon devices all reiadded (and then restored to dump old links)  and programs re-linked in, variable values endian fixed and NR loaded and resaved. It got my system cloned but about two days work of work. 500 programs, 500 variables.

15 hours ago, carealtor said:

ISY on Polisy is Alpha, not even Beta, and there is no migration path.  Correct?

Yea... Alpha but some post recently had Beta... i don't know if Michel has started calling it beta yet or not.

I won't be moving over anytime soon.  I'll wait and see if they come up with a method to restore backup and move the PLM full of links over to the new device, that would be optimal.  

I don't think anyone even tested ISY on Polisy with the Home Assistant integration yet.  I do have an extra Polisy so I might take that test on someday.

13 hours ago, Adam Ant said:

@MrBill, and it supports the Insteon hub correct?   I’m thinking that might be the way to go…that way I can leave the hub with the house when/if I sell it.  

It does not.  Serial or USB PLM.

You said above your PLM died.... Others have had success breathing life back into the serial PLM but swapping circuit boards with a USB PLM.

1 hour ago, MrBill said:

It does not.  Serial or USB PLM.

You said above your PLM died.... Others have had success breathing life back into the serial PLM but swapping circuit boards with a USB PLM.

Oh shoot,   I read in one of the forums that someone was able to plug the hub into one of the Polisy ports.   Shoot!   Thanks again  for your help!

13 minutes ago, Adam Ant said:

Oh shoot,   I read in one of the forums that someone was able to plug the hub into one of the Polisy ports.   Shoot!   Thanks again  for your help!

The Hub doesn't have a port.   Are you refering to the Insteon Portable USB Adapter and Home Control Interface?

https://www.smarthome.com/collections/insteon-compatible-hubs-controllers-software/products/insteon-2448a7-portable-usb-adapter

I believe someone has said they tested with that device, beware it's RF only so it will need to be close enough to at least one dual band device to work and will work even better if it has a dual band devices from each electrical phases nearby.

On 6/30/2021 at 12:18 PM, larryllix said:

This would be no surprise from our friends at the Insteon death camp.

Good thing Polisy has two extra  Ethernet ports  to support the Insteon Hub as an I/O appliance.

@MrBill I was referring to this posting and others around jun 30th in this thread.   I’m sure I must have just misunderstood…or wishful thinking….your tip on swapping out the daughter board between 2413u and 2413s was awesome!   Thanks

1 minute ago, Adam Ant said:

@MrBill I was referring to this posting and others around jun 30th in this thread.   I’m sure I must have just misunderstood…or wishful thinking….your tip on swapping out the daughter board between 2413u and 2413s was awesome!   Thanks

i think @larryllix is having wishful thinking, ISY doesn't support the Insteon Hub and UDI has stated they have no current plans to support it as it's not a PLM.

14 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

If it ever hits 200, I'm going to start selling a few of the extras that I have

I have two sites with two live ISY's (two spare ISY's, one 'installed' and I power up every so often and restore latest config to. Two spare working 2413S's and 1 spare working 2412S and two dead 2412S's (keeping for possible cap fix or further investigation).

Always on the lookout for more spares....?

I recently gleaned a used 2413U, so I think now I am comfortable with replacement PLM's.
but over $200US for a used 2413S? Wow.
I really hope Insteon does not go the way of the dodo. Besides the substantial investment I have in Insteon, I do not hold high hopes for Z-Wave (or any RF-only technology) in Canada where the plurality (if not the majority) of our electrical device boxes are metal and therefore pretty effective Faraday cages.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Metal electrical boxes. Can also effect Insteon RF communications. All the Dual Band switches I saw in the FCC database. Have their antenna on the rear side of the module. Deepest into the electrical box.

Though Dual Bands power line commands can add reliability. RF only devices don't have.

Metal electrical boxes. Can also effect Insteon RF communications. All the Dual Band switches I saw in the FCC database. Have their antenna on the rear side of the module. Deepest into the electrical box.
Though Dual Bands power line commands can add reliability. RF only devices don't have.

If memory serves me correctly, Insteon is primarily powerline, and the RF serves to expand range and add reliability to combat noise on the power line. All of my Insteon devices are dual band, and have been extremely reliable, and I'd be loathe to switch to anything RF-only. I have a handful of plug-in Z-Wave devices to support my Z-Wave door locks but otherwise everything is Insteon. I have very little confidence even if I did swap everything for Z-Wave that anything would work reliably at all.

If memory serves me correctly, Insteon is primarily powerline, and the RF serves to expand range and add reliability to combat noise on the power line. All of my Insteon devices are dual band, and have been extremely reliable, and I'd be loathe to switch to anything RF-only. I have a handful of plug-in Z-Wave devices to support my Z-Wave door locks but otherwise everything is Insteon. I have very little confidence even if I did swap everything for Z-Wave that anything would work reliably at all.

Amen!

Archived