ISY Discontinued?

mmb

29 minutes ago, MrBill said:

That might be in the works for when ISY moves to Polisy which has USB ports.  So far Michel has only said they are working on it.  In short, it's not a short term solution. 

The serial version repair thread is long, I wish I knew enough to abridge it down to a single post-- summarizing it however is beyond my skills.

I have read thru a lot of the thread. I found this site which describes replacing 5 capacitors. The comments below as well as in the repair thread suggest to replace 7. 

https://1projectaweek.com/blog/2017/6/2/repairing-a-failed-insteon-powerlinc-power-line-modem-plm-2413u

1 hour ago, EricK said:

I have read thru a lot of the thread. I found this site which describes replacing 5 capacitors. The comments below as well as in the repair thread suggest to replace 7. 

https://1projectaweek.com/blog/2017/6/2/repairing-a-failed-insteon-powerlinc-power-line-modem-plm-2413u

that site is repairing a 2413u or the USB version.  I'm not up to speed on the differences tho.  the resident expert on this topic is @Brian H

The main board is the same in both the Serial and USB versions.  The difference is probably what it reports when asked its ID.  With a different Sub Category Number and a USB or Serial Port Daughter Board.

Five electrolytic capacitors. The ones that fail. Since the power supply is a switching type and the capacitors where questionable. Starting with V2.3. C7 and C13 where changed to a version rated for switchers and maybe longer lasting.

The daughter board in the serial version has one electrolytic on its 5 volt regulator for its logic power, 100uF 16V.  Also four 1uF 25V for the serial interface chips internal power supply. They could be changed but I don't think they are a high failure part. Most of the users don't change them. I also saw a post awhile back on the serial interface chip failing. In V2.4 the daughter board was redone and they added some protective components on the serial signals from the outside world along with a chip with better ESD protection ratings.

I don't have much information on the USB version. So it may have two electrolytic capacitors on its daughter board.

That board was also in the 2443 Access Points Hardware V2.0 and above. I had a pair have the same power supply failures as my 2413S PLM.

5 hours ago, MrBill said:

That might be in the works for when ISY moves to Polisy which has USB ports.  So far Michel has only said they are working on it.  In short, it's not a short term solution. 

The serial version repair thread is long, I wish I knew enough to abridge it down to a single post-- summarizing it however is beyond my skills.

I have a Polisy in a box in anticipation of an ISY migration.  For Node servers I just use a virtual server.

In the blog post linked to.

A reply said theirs was different and only had a 1000uF/25V, 470uF/50V. There is also a 100uF/6.3V. If they looked at the part number of the module. That is the older 2412U power line only model. Many of us started off with the 2412S. Before the 2413S was produced.

If you have an original 2413S Hardware V1.0. The board will not look the same as in the photos and the power supply will have rework on it to add to the power supplies connections. A coil and both C7 and C13 are hanging above the board and a wire will be running to the solder side of the module.

You may also see C7 and C13 in yours laying on their side. With the leads connecting to the board. The 100uF/50V caps used by Smarthome. Where physically too large to fit directly into the connection pads.

On 7/9/2021 at 2:46 PM, mmb said:

Aartech is the supplier I contacted and they aren't taking orders for any of the ISYs. 

Just to be clear, previously you had said that "the reason is that they cannot get an ETA for shipping". This is not true. They cannot get ETA for PLM shipment and not ISY. I just want everyone to be clear here. We have no shortage of ISYs. 

With kind regards,
Michel

21 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

Just to be clear, previously you had said that "the reason is that they cannot get an ETA for shipping". This is not true. They cannot get ETA for PLM shipment and not ISY. I just want everyone to be clear here. We have no shortage of ISYs. 

With kind regards,
Michel

Both statements may be true. Lately, items coming from California to Toronto area, can take over three weeks, so aarrtech.ca may not want to commit to a buyers, but instead just refuse to take orders until they have stock in hand. Aartech.ca have been very reliable for quick shipments for the $4-5000 worth of product I have purchased from them over seven years but these are still rough times, especially for product availability. Their indicated "2-3 week delivery" label  on the product webpage, should be an indicator of what the problem is.

An executive for Aartech.ca does post here occasionally. Perhaps he may pipe in here.

3 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

With kind regards,
Michel

Hi Michel, I posted the Aar email previously.

My friend says tried to buy an ISY from AAR for one of his installs and was informed it is being discontinued.

Is this true?

Thanks

Hi Mike,

Thank you for contacting Aartech Canada!

ISY994IZW+IRPRO is on hold at the moment due to it being on manufacturer back order. We are not allowing back orders due to an unknown ETA. Sorry about that!

Thanks, what about a vanilla ISY Pro?

Hi Mike,

Yes, same story unfortunately. Hopefully they will be available soon.

1 hour ago, mmb said:

Excellent, I'll check with Aar to see if they have any in a few weeks.

With my PLM I ordered from aartech.ca they put me on a waiting list to ship and notified when it was shipped. It was a few weeks. Maybe they learned some lesson and changed their policy for backordering.

50 minutes ago, larryllix said:

With my PLM I ordered from aartech.ca they put me on a waiting list to ship and notified when it was shipped. It was a few weeks. Maybe they learned some lesson and changed their policy for backordering.

To me it seems more like the rep at aartech is confused.  I could see why they wouldn't want to accept PLM orders at this point, but there are cases a person might want to buy an ISY-994 without purchasing a PLM.  I'm surprised UDI has not emailed them with reassurance that ISY's will be filled immediately and there is no shortage (of course maybe they did and aartech failed to respond).

To me it seems more like the rep at aartech is confused.  I could see why they wouldn't want to accept PLM orders at this point, but there are cases a person might want to buy an ISY-994 without purchasing a PLM.  I'm surprised UDI has not emailed them with reassurance that ISY's will be filled immediately and there is no shortage (of course maybe they did and aartech failed to respond).
That was my earlier point. The shipping from California to Toronto can range up to 3 to 4 weeks.
aartech may not do the sale until they have product in their hands.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Archived