Feature Requests

mbking

@Javi,

There is one feature I'd like to see in UD Mobile before I can fully switch to using it exclusively.  I need to have more control over what happens when I toggle a program.  In some cases, I use programs to toggle a state I want to make available to the user.  That means I need a favorite for a program that allows me to toggle True/False or Run Then/Run Else.  The current program toggle doesn't give me that option.  In addition, it would be nice to rename each toggle state as required.  For example, TV/Movie lighting or Home/Away.  This allows me to make an interface that is intuitive for users who don't really understand the automation system and don't want to; like my wife. ?  The more intuitive, the more likely she will use it and allow me to expand automation around the house.  Any chance this could be added?

Also, are you planning to implement iOS push notifications?  I use these extensively.  I see that there is a Notification node server that could fulfill that need, but I was planning to use it only for emergency notifications.  Just curious what the future plans were.

The application is really great and I appreciate the work you've been putting into it.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi @mbking,

18 minutes ago, mbking said:

There is one feature I'd like to see in UD Mobile before I can fully switch to using it exclusively.  I need to have more control over what happens when I toggle a program.  In some cases, I use programs to toggle a state I want to make available to the user.  That means I need a favorite for a program that allows me to toggle True/False or Run Then/Run Else.  The current program toggle doesn't give me that option.  In addition, it would be nice to rename each toggle state as required.  For example, TV/Movie lighting or Home/Away.  This allows me to make an interface that is intuitive for users who don't really understand the automation system and don't want to; like my wife. ?  The more intuitive, the more likely she will use it and allow me to expand automation around the house.  Any chance this could be added?

Mark

Currently implementation in Android coming to iOS as soon as possible.

This can be done with Favorites Command Type although not exactly as described.

Favorite Command Type:

#1 Executes any number of commands for any system (i.e multiple ISYs) simultaneously.

#2 (Optional) displays a status of any node (does not have to be related to the commands which are executed)

#3 Allows custom name and icon. 

For custom toggle:

Create a program in ISY with  toggle conditions in "IF". Create a Favorites of type Command and set the command to "Run If" of the previously created program.  Optionally set the custom name/icon (#3) and/or a display node (#2)

18 minutes ago, mbking said:

Also, are you planning to implement iOS push notifications?  I use these extensively.  I see that there is a Notification node server that could fulfill that need, but I was planning to use it only for emergency notifications.  Just curious what the future plans were.

Firebase push notification libraries are implemented in iOS and Android, we still need Server-Side implementation, not sure about ETA.

• Like 2

@Javi,

I think the Favorites Command Type could work to create a nice toggle with a custom icon and name.  I think I would need to use a node server like Push or Notifications to get the state labels I would need as those are unlikely to be available in any of the node servers I have installed.  Both of those node servers allows the user to configure a list of messages which could include the labels I need.  I could then associate them with the correct state in the Command Type favorite.  On paper, it seems like it could work.  I'll look forward to trying it out when that feature is added to the iOS app.

Mark

1 hour ago, mbking said:

@Javi,

I think the Favorites Command Type could work to create a nice toggle with a custom icon and name.  I think I would need to use a node server like Push or Notifications to get the state labels I would need as those are unlikely to be available in any of the node servers I have installed.  Both of those node servers allows the user to configure a list of messages which could include the labels I need.  I could then associate them with the correct state in the Command Type favorite.  On paper, it seems like it could work.  I'll look forward to trying it out when that feature is added to the iOS app.

Mark

Node Status Relations (i.e. "ST", "RR", "GV1", ect) raw value to custom name mapping is on the list also

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Great job on UD Mobile (iOS.) It’s working great. A couple of requests:

1. Can we implement a setting/preference to hide devices that begin with a tilde (~) ? I believe the old web interface works that way. It makes it simple to hide devices that don’t actually control a load and reduces a bunch of duplicate/remote switches this way.

2. A setting/preference for haptic or faint audiofeedback on clicks would be nice.

keep up the good work!

4 hours ago, wintermute said:

Great job on UD Mobile (iOS.) It’s working great. A couple of requests:

1. Can we implement a setting/preference to hide devices that begin with a tilde (~) ? I believe the old web interface works that way. It makes it simple to hide devices that don’t actually control a load and reduces a bunch of duplicate/remote switches this way.

2. A setting/preference for haptic or faint audiofeedback on clicks would be nice.

keep up the good work!

Thanks.  Hiding nodes has been implemented in Android, coming to iOS.  Still need to add automatic hiding with (~) prefix during synchronization.  We'll look into getting hepatic feedback on iOS.

• 2 months later...

Is there any thoughts on adding a UD Mobile widget for ios?  The main reason I stay on Mobilinc is that feature.  As you can see below, I like being able to quickly access my favorite devices, see their status, and then trigger a change in their state.  For example, from the screen grab below you can see that one of my garages is open the other is closed.. All I have to do is tap it and closes the door.  Can also call programs from there as well.  

As you can also see IFTTT supports widgets but doesn't show state.  

image.thumb.png.ff878929a1174c6b9b8b5a7a1c6668b3.png

2 hours ago, Adam Ant said:

Is there any thoughts on adding a UD Mobile widget for ios?  The main reason I stay on Mobilinc is that feature.  As you can see below, I like being able to quickly access my favorite devices, see their status, and then trigger a change in their state.  For example, from the screen grab below you can see that one of my garages is open the other is closed.. All I have to do is tap it and closes the door.  Can also call programs from there as well.  

As you can also see IFTTT supports widgets but doesn't show state.  

It is on our list but a slightly different implementation.  The current plan is to have any Favorite available as a widget, so a Favorite of type Command would achieve something very similar.  When Command is a Program it can toggle a device without the app needing to knowing status because status is referenced in the ISY program. See the custom toggle example here: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=UD_Mobile#Favorite_Custom_Toggle

The difference lies in the status updates as there is no good way to implement this without things getting out of sync. Our options are Interval-Status-Checks, Background-Push, and leaving the subscription connected.

Background Push will be throttled and/or delayed after too may updates. Throttling and delay is determined Operating System and Platform Push Service (Apple/Google), we as developers do not have control/warnings about throttling or delays of Background Push. This will also require server side setup so Portal would be required.  This may work for a couple of devices, if any device is updated too frequently or if there are too many devices updating  status will be out of sync. This will also inherently be out of sync as there is no persistent connection and only triggered on status update. So unknown value, such as no/poor internet will not trigger status.  We may have this option at some point but it is currently low priority.

Interval Status Checks are inherently out of sync as they are request/response driven.  This is not currently on our list.

Leaving the subscription connected is the most accurate option and is currently a user preference on Android.  This will use more data/power, so may not be a great option if your device is connected to mobile data more often than Wi-Fi. This solves the status issue by only showing status when we are subscribed to ISY.  If used in with Favorites Command type toggles can still be functional even when the app does not have status.  I have been running a persistent connection and Android for about a month and on average it uses 5% of battery daliy, I'm mostly on WiFi so I do not have good data on mobile data usage with this option.  This is on our list for iOS and can be changed (-1) on Android in Advanced System Settings.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Javi said:

It is on our list but a slightly different implementation.  The current plan is to have any Favorite available as a widget, so a Favorite of type Command would achieve something very similar.  When Command is a Program it can toggle a device without the app needing to knowing status because status is referenced in the ISY program. See the custom toggle example here: https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=UD_Mobile#Favorite_Custom_Toggle

The difference lies in the status updates as there is no good way to implement this without things getting out of sync. Our options are Interval-Status-Checks, Background-Push, and leaving the subscription connected.

Background Push will be throttled and/or delayed after too may updates. Throttling and delay is determined Operating System and Platform Push Service (Apple/Google), we as developers do not have control/warnings about throttling or delays of Background Push. This will also require server side setup so Portal would be required.  This may work for a couple of devices, if any device is updated too frequently or if there are too many devices updating  status will be out of sync. This will also inherently be out of sync as there is no persistent connection and only triggered on status update. So unknown value, such as no/poor internet will not trigger status.  We may have this option at some point but it is currently low priority.

Interval Status Checks are inherently out of sync as they are request/response driven.  This is not currently on our list.

Leaving the subscription connected is the most accurate option and is currently a user preference on Android.  This will use more data/power, so may not be a great option if your device is connected to mobile data more often than Wi-Fi. This solves the status issue by only showing status when we are subscribed to ISY.  If used in with Favorites Command type toggles can still be functional even when the app does not have status.  I have been running a persistent connection and Android for about a month and on average it uses 5% of battery daliy, I'm mostly on WiFi so I do not have good data on mobile data usage with this option.  This is on our list for iOS and can be changed (-1) on Android in Advanced System Settings.

Wow! Allot to consider!  Thanks for the detailed response!  :)  

• 10 months later...

I have moved to IoP and the loss of my Mobilinc Today Vview widgets is definitely the biggest loss. I have found a work around for everything else, including using IFTTT widgets.  I think I could live with a widget that is a direct program run with no status display. That was always super slow with Mobilic Connect portal anyway and faster response would win over status display. Can always open the app if we need to see status.

29 minutes ago, Illusion said:

I have moved to IoP and the loss of my Mobilinc Today Vview widgets is definitely the biggest loss. I have found a work around for everything else, including using IFTTT widgets.  I think I could live with a widget that is a direct program run with no status display. That was always super slow with Mobilic Connect portal anyway and faster response would win over status display. Can always open the app if we need to see status.

Hi @Illusion,

Command Widgets are still on our list but no ETA. As an alternative you could set the launch preference to Favorites and have a Favorite of Type Command to trigger the program, it's one extra button press.  The current plan is to have Widget connections linked to Favorites.  The Favorite Type will determine how a press is handled. So selecting a Favorite of Type command will trigger the command, selecting Favorite of Type folder will open the folder, All others will open the Device's Dashboard.

Status will not work consistently as updates are throttled by the OS so will not be implemented.  Status works for things that update once, maybe twice, an hour (i.e. temperature) but not for something that can change status frequently.  I feel this would cause too many support issues for things out of our control.

@Javi

Okay, Great. The IFTTT Today View widgets (Apple Widgets, not Favorites Widgets) work way faster than I thought they would so I am better off than I thought I would be.

I am good without status. But if you do Apple Widgets, I think linking them to Favorites is great and so the setup of the Favorite determines what the Apple Widget does.  But I would request that you support both legacy and modern Apple widgets. Legacy widgets can run just within the Today View. So a simple swipe to the today view can create an action without opening an app. In fact, the way Mobilinc had them linked to the portal, Mobilic did not even have to be in memory of the iOS device. Same with IFTTT. Widgets work even from a cold start, which is the whole point.

I am not sure I understand the point of modern Apple Widgets. It is cool that they can be placed on any home screen page, not just the Today View, but interacting with them opens the connected app. I guess it does save one single keystroke from opening the app and hitting the button, but that seems like a lot of effort for 1s savings. But if there were a way to configure modern widgets to function without opening the app, that could be super cool. So now on any home screen we could have a button, or group of buttons that could execute some event. And the button could indicate a successful press. I think the way IFTTT Legacy Widget buttons work and display a successful press is pretty great.

Right now the only hit to my system is that I cannot adjust the format of the widget like I could with Mobilic, but this is a minor hit.

Okay, I take it all back. I have lost nothing by making the big switch to IoP and the ISY Portal. I retract my request for Apple Widgets. I can do everything using Webhooks. It is incredible.

Make an ISY Portal event in connections. Just like your are going to do an IFTTT integration:  https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY_Portal_IFTTT_Integration#Setup_Instructions_-_ISY_Portal

Then make a Siri Shortcut. You can sorta follow the IFTTT instructions here: https://help.ifttt.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053753113-Use-Siri-to-Run-IFTTT-Applets

But you only need three of the steps:

1. URL (put in the web locator from ISY Portal) For your convenience, in your list of events in portal, there is a small icon beside the red X, which will give you the full URL you can cut & paste here

2. Get Contents of URL. Method 'Post'. Request Body 'JSON'

3. Name your Siri Shortcut.

IMG_4018.thumb.png.3031951477af5e0aa4fb979af55744b0.png

And now you can have this shortcut that directly activates an event in the ISY Portal. You can trigger it with Siri voice. You can trigger it with Apple Widgets on the Today View:

IMG_0035.thumb.jpg.97a8b5195801a24bb04b7bd8f21714b7.jpg

And you can even just put one button on your home screen like I was wanting and trigger it with a touch:

IMG_0036.thumb.jpg.ec90ae7b74f964e4d7e04e9b30a0b47c.jpg

So far my experience is that an event takes place in under 3s. Really actually close to 1s. So happy.

• Like 1