Haven't been able to get email to work for over a year - Outlook.com

I'm using 5.0.14. Email used to work a long time ago, and then it just stopped. Default doesn't work either.

My email is @outlook.com. I have the following settings in:

smtp.office365.com

User ID - my email

Password - my email password

Port 587

TLS checked

Timeout I've tried 1,000 and 5,000

Testing doesn't give an error, but I don't receive an email. It's not going to junk.

Help?

Outlook.com is way more secure than you think it is.  Since the ISY doesn't support modern auth (modern auth = a specific Microsoft term referencing a method of securely connecting to a service using cryptographic tokens rather than passwords),  you'll need to jump through some slightly unusual hoops to get it set up.

Anyway, long story short: you need to update your SMTP server info: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/pop-imap-and-smtp-settings-for-outlook-com-d088b986-291d-42b8-9564-9c414e2aa040

And you need to set up an app password: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/using-app-passwords-with-apps-that-don-t-support-two-step-verification-5896ed9b-4263-e681-128a-a6f2979a7944

59 minutes ago, Walrus said:

I'm using 5.0.14. Email used to work a long time ago, and then it just stopped. Default doesn't work either.

My email is @outlook.com. I have the following settings in:

smtp.office365.com

User ID - my email

Password - my email password

Port 587

TLS checked

Timeout I've tried 1,000 and 5,000

Testing doesn't give an error, but I don't receive an email. It's not going to junk.

Help?

If you don't have the 300 zwave board, you probably should also update to 5.3.4 as that contains a fix for email

On 1/26/2022 at 6:55 AM, Walrus said:

I'm using 5.0.14.

First, I agree with @lilyoyo1 that if you don't have a z-wave 300 series board you should upgrade to 5.3.4 (latest build). At the very least if you DO have a z-wave 300 board is upgrade to 5.0.16C (the last build for 5.x supported the 300 series board)

On 1/26/2022 at 6:55 AM, Walrus said:

Default doesn't work either.

Yes, in 2020 there were issues with the default server option (mentioned in this post). That has later been fixed and if you upgrade to 5.3.4 you can use the default server again.

Although, looking at how you've setup the server it should work unless you have added additional security to the Outlook.com account and need to make an app specific password (like @jec6613 suggests). Strange that your tests aren't popping errors, or being received anywhere. Are you trying to send to the same email that you're sending from? Sometimes these free mail providers shut that down after period of time of auto generated emails. So this could have also caused you issues if it wasn't an active account or if you were sending emails in a loop from/to same address too often. 

I've used Gmail since 2017 without issue, but make sure to have it on my phone to be an actual checking and sometimes send non-automated emails. 

Archived