New Remotelinc posibbly planned?

jkraus

I really like Insteon and maybe my only complaint is the Remotelinc. Limited buttons coupled with too easy to inadvertently trigger the button. Is there possibly a replacement in the works? Currently solving with EZX10RF and X10 Palmpad, but would really like an Insteon solution

Thx

Joe

Rereading my post, I think I came off a bit harsh. It's not that they aren't any good, but the quality of the industrial design is severely lacking. It's as if they are designed by engineers without much regard for their aesthetics.

I suppose that's fine, but a bit more sexiness would go a long way towards the WAF (wife acceptance factor). I suppose we're a bit spoiled as industrial design for consumer electronics has progressed quite a bit over the past 10 years.

This stuff is cool tech! IMO, our job would be easier if it looked the part!

/end of mini-rant

I would go for functionality first i.e.more buttons, less sensitive, but aesthetics or at least smaller form factor would be right up there!

X10 PalmPad is no technology wonder, but small and functional and a somewhat OK industrial design

Couldn't agree more. The RemoteLinc is bulky and doesn't appear to follow the sleek lines of other Insteon equipment. So, yes, I would like to see a redesign!

I'm less concerned with aesthetics as I am with functionality. I find that the black Remotelinc looks fine, but really... 6 ON/OFFs and 4 aux buttons? Really?

We can create hundreds of scenes, but we would need dozens of Remotelincs littering our coffee tables in stacks in order to control them.

I am happy to see the bevy of new devices that have been offered as of late, but I have not seen one new practical handheld control. I guess we're all supposed to just use IR for everything, but I would much rather RF since it doesn't require line-of-sight. Granted, the X10 palmpad is a super ugly box that looks like something that was handed down from my parents (and in a way, it was), but it has 16 ON/OFFs when you use the switch to jump to another house-code.

I'd really like to see a redesigned Remotelinc that is smaller and has more buttons (I'm not 90 years old with arthritis and bad eyesight) and possibly even back-lit. They could easily multiply the number of buttons by using shift keys.

I agree with all. Especially the buttons being too sensative. Sometimes just reaching for the remote you bump a button, especially in the dark. Then you have no idea what you just turned On or Off (depending on the responder's location).

The other thing is how useless they are in the dark. I feel like I'm reading brail by counting the buttons and figuring where on the toggle my fingers are. Sometimes while doing this I inadvertently press a button.

Why can't there be a backlight as soon as you touch the remote? or at least glow in the dark segments.

The more I think about it...I don't like the remote at all and have been using them less as time goes by. I think I gave the device more credit then it warrants because we finally had a real Insteon remote!

Archived